Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use an EMV card (chip+sig)

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: How to use an EMV card (chip+sig)

@TravellingNomad wrote:

the walmart near my house uses those readers. a couple of weeks ago i tried to use my bofa alaska airlines card by swiping. nothing was happening. the clerk told me to swipe again. then she asked me if my card was "one of those that has the chip thingy" and i said yes. she then said swiping cards with chip will not work. she had me insert the chip in the reader and voila!...asked for signature and purchase was done.

from what the clerk told me, that is now how these cards need to be done for purchases. not sure if it was just for that particular store. but one thing that pissed me off...it scratched up my card really bad! there was a bit of a resistance trying to get the card in the slot so i had to kinda shove it in.

Most shops in the US do not have their EMV readers enabled yet. The exceptions are SOME (a small percentage of) Walmarts and SOME small merchants served with complete solutions by First Data and Chase Paymentech.

A new chip reader, will, of course, have some resistance since it's barely been used yet - new magnetic stripe readers do too. That said, I think most chip readers tend to be a lot less rough on cards than most magnetic stripe readers. I also think we (ALL of us here, me included) need to get over being upset when merchants have readers that are particularly scratchy (I used to cringe at Taco Bell - their stripe readers are wide and put lots of scratches on cards - I've got over it).

P.S. it's a good thing it won't let you swipe a chip card - if it did, the chip would have ZERO security benefit since thieves would just use the cloned stripe. The security benefit of EMV is that a cloned stripe can't be used anywhere with a chip reader enabled and set up properly.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 11 of 21
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Too bad they can't work like the Pay Pass tap n go.
Message 12 of 21
nyancat
Established Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:
Too bad they can't work like the Pay Pass tap n go.

They absolutely can, it's called dual-interface EMV and it's the norm in many countries. Americans have overwhelmingly spoken out that they DO NOT want cards with contactless ability, unfortunately

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 13 of 21
nmac
Regular Contributor

Thanks for everyone’s reply. I learn so much on this forum.

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 14 of 21
Shock
Established Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

the walmart near my house uses those readers. a couple of weeks ago i tried to use my bofa alaska airlines card by swiping. nothing was happening. the clerk told me to swipe again. then she asked me if my card was "one of those that has the chip thingy" and i said yes. she then said swiping cards with chip will not work. she had me insert the chip in the reader and voila!...asked for signature and purchase was done.

from what the clerk told me, that is now how these cards need to be done for purchases. not sure if it was just for that particular store. but one thing that pissed me off...it scratched up my card really bad! there was a bit of a resistance trying to get the card in the slot so i had to kinda shove it in.

This happened to my friend too on his CSP. At Walmart. The next time we were there, I did it with my BCE but it didnt work. I had to swipe like normal. I was pretty bummed lol.

But when he did it, it wouldnt swipe and he had to use the chip. The clerk said he had to. When I did it, it didn't work. And the clerk didn't know that the reader was even present.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 15 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Last year I saw a chip reader at 7/11 and could not resist to enter my GE Moneybank MC Switzerland ...to my biggest surprise it was a true chip & pin transaction..my very first in the US Smiley Very Happy  ..so my little experiment showed  that if the merchant has the terminal enabled and the card is  chip & pin  priority it does work in the US too....LOL

Message 16 of 21
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Shock wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

This happened to my friend too on his CSP. At Walmart. The next time we were there, I did it with my BCE but it didnt work. I had to swipe like normal. I was pretty bummed lol.

But when he did it, it wouldnt swipe and he had to use the chip. The clerk said he had to. When I did it, it didn't work. And the clerk didn't know that the reader was even present.

Sounds like your Walmart doesn't have the American Express application loaded.

Message 17 of 21
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Check this link on youtube about EMV Chips...you can always count on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9HKNj1-m8

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 18 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Where I currently live, a swipe card that has an EMV chip usually cannot be swiped. The merchant gets a message to use the chip for authorization. But it works just like a chip + PIN, except that it takes slightly longer and prints one receipt for signature, waits for merchant to enter that signatures were verified, then prints out the second receipt.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 19 of 21
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:
Where I currently live, a swipe card that has an EMV chip usually cannot be swiped. The merchant gets a message to use the chip for authorization. But it works just like a chip + PIN, except that it takes slightly longer and prints one receipt for signature, waits for merchant to enter that signatures were verified, then prints out the second receipt.

Any idea if a payment terminal takes CHIP+Sig (as priority) compared to entering a pin (chip+PIN)?

Also, is that PIN same as Cash Advance PIN? (or are there 2 PIN's to remember for the same card)
I use my Bank of America chip card while traveling in Asia and it does the ''chip+sig'' routine and never ''chip+PIN but off course, BOA card does not have a PIN. (not the cash advance PIN).

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.