Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use an EMV card?

tag
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

How to use an EMV card?

Ok, so the issue im running into is not EMV acceptance, because all the shops around here seem to take EMV cards, it is the cashieers and baristas.

Everytime I hand them a card with an EMV, they swipe it and then the terminal says insert the card instead. I have not met one person yet who is familiar enough to process and EMV transaction, sot they end up telling me "the card was not working" or something. I never tell them how to actually do it though.

What should I do?

-Thanks

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to use an EMV card?

Insert it.

Message 2 of 27
Shock
Established Contributor

Refer to this picture: Most terminals will have something similar where you can insert under the physical keyboard: Just make sure card is face up and emv chip is in the machine.

However, when it comes to places that dont have the terminal, such as Starbucks, I'm not sure. They have to have it though. The magnetic strip still works where the chip is not accepted. So that means somewhere on their system they have a emv chip reader that they are oblivious to. Tell them to get a manager. They should know.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 3 of 27
Luscher
Valued Contributor

If they have EMV enabled you must insert the card, if they don't have EMV enabled you just swipe it as normal.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 27
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Interesting.... my Citi card has a chip but I've always just used it like a normal card.  I don't really travel or anything.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 5 of 27
Shock
Established Contributor

They are becoming more and more common here. Some places like Walmart have already adopted it. Albeit all chip and signature. Does anybody know if come 10/2015, it will be chip and pin?

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

machines should have place to insert emv chip card from either top or bottom of the machine. I think there are plenty of people who doesn't know about emv chip enabled card and how it works.

and I hope it's chip & pin AND added extra security password for online shopping, so that there's less risk of stolen card being used, let's face it, when it comes to swipe and signature, only about 10-20% actually checks ID, unless it's major purchase. my bro's (who's in CA) card number got stolen, well i think it was more of duplicated card somehow and jackass with my brother's duped card was able to run 600 bucks at ikea without an issue.

Message 7 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

machines should have place to insert emv chip card from either top or bottom of the machine. I think there are plenty of people who doesn't know about emv chip enabled card and how it works.

lol... I am in Europe and I am amused that sales persons constantly want to stop me to slide the card on the side... it is over 10 years customers stick in their cards on the botton or on top and me coming to slide them on the side. Smiley Happy  Sometimes I have to fight to let me swipe.   Never thought it could be the other way around in the US with chip..ha ha

Message 8 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

lol... I am in Europe and I am amused that sales persons constantly want to stop me to slide the card on the side... it is over 10 years customers stick in their cards on the botton or on top and me coming to slide them on the side. Smiley Happy  Sometimes I have to fight to let me swipe.   Never thought it could be the other way around in the US with chip..ha ha

And even if you use a US chip card, it's (probably) going to spit out a signature slip, still confusing the European sales people!  We need chip&pin ASAP....

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I posted this before, but when i first moved to europe, the bank issued me debit card with emv chip enabled, I never used one before, so I just swiped the card without thinking, the cashier thought I stole the card, so she canceled the transaction and gave me the look AND asked for my ID (thank god I was carrying a passport back then) Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.