Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use??

tag
Lthomas356
Valued Member

How to use??

Hello all. I got student credit card back in 2004 and it was charged off. Now it is seven years later and I realize how important good credit is. Since joining this message board on 02-09-2009 my credit scores were TU 547 EQ 519 EX 541. I recently pulled all three reports but only have the EQ score which is 607 now. At the end of the report it says what is hurting my score. It says: There are one or more accounts with a major derogatory event in your credit file, The age of accounts in your credit file, There is insufficient information, or no account history, for credit card accounts, and There is insufficient information, or no account history, for mortgage accounts> I recently applied and was approved for a Capital One secured credit card. A few days ago I paid the $49 deposit. I would like to know HOW SHOULD I USE THIS CARD? PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!!

Starting Score: 671
Current Score: Wal-Mart TU 683 (1/21/13)
Goal Score: 710

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to use??

Lthomas356 wrote:
Hello all. I got student credit card back in 2004 and it was charged off. Now it is seven years later and I realize how important good credit is. Since joining this message board on 02-09-2009 my credit scores were TU 547 EQ 519 EX 541.

I recently pulled all three reports but only have the EQ score which is 607 now.

At the end of the report it says what is hurting my score. It says:

• There are one or more accounts with a major derogatory event in your credit file,
  • The age of accounts in your credit file,
  • There is insufficient information, or no account history, for credit card accounts,
  • and There is insufficient information, or no account history, for mortgage accounts>

I recently applied and was approved for a Capital One secured credit card. A few days ago I paid the $49 deposit. I would like to know HOW SHOULD I USE THIS CARD? PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!!

Congratulations!  

Can someone help Lthomas ~ Please!   Thanks!

Message 2 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I would use it up to 80% of your CL, and PIF each month.   If you can afford it, add more money to the deposit.   When you are ready to apply for more credit.   PIF before statement date, for low utilization.  Of course, NEVER be late.

Thats how I did it.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't go over your limit.

PIF every month.

Never be late.

Message 4 of 9
missji
Regular Contributor

Use what you can COMFORTABLY afford to pay in full each month, up to (vets chime in here)% of your CL. BUT by no means should you charge 80% (or any amount for that matter) if you can't pay it off.
Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

^Good suggestion.  The best way to stick to it is to only use it when you know you can (and will) go home and pif.  It's a good habit to develop especially if you've had trouble controlling your credit usage in the past.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't go over your limit.

PIF every month.

Never be late.

+1

Message 7 of 9
Lthomas356
Valued Member

Thanks all Smiley Happy I received my card today. I'm going to add more to card very soon. I have a $200 CL but I want it to be $500. My goal is to wait until Jan and apply for Wal-mart store card and/or JCP.

Starting Score: 671
Current Score: Wal-Mart TU 683 (1/21/13)
Goal Score: 710

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Wink
@Lthomas356 wrote:
Thanks all Smiley Happy I received my card today. I'm going to add more to card very soon. I have a $200 CL but I want it to be $500. My goal is to wait until Jan and apply for Wal-mart store card and/or JCP.

Good ~ that you have a goal ~  Take care of your baby!    Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.