Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to win B of A recon call

tag
DesertLife
Regular Contributor

How to win B of A recon call

I wanted to write a post about my Bank of America Reconsideration line experience in case there are others who will be going through the same thing.

First, I Called 866-458-8805 which is supposed to go directly to a credit analyst per a blog post. I called this number and the automated voice says:

"Next available credit analyst will be with you shortly"

Well, the person who came on the phone said their name and that they would bring up my request and "I'll be the analyst assisting you with that request".

They said, "I do have your application request. Are you calling in to check on the status of your application?"

I said that I had already checked the status online, and that I was calling in because I believe that I had received a denial for credit.

He said, "Let me check on the status......Yes, it appears the reason for being declined was delinquency was reported on credit bureau. It shows a retail credit delinquency from 2007".

I explained the circumstances of the delinquency, that it was after all a long time ago, that my finances have changed, and that since then I have had no delinquencies and have managed my credit appropriately.

He said, "Thank you for explaining that, Sir. I'm going to bring on one of my colleagues to see if we can do something about that."

Then, another person came on the phone and said they were a credit analyst and they would be looking at my request. I thought, wait, wasn't I already talking to a credit analyst? Well, no the first one was a customer service representative, or a screener, before you get to the analyst. That first person had no decision making authority. It would appear that the banks are aware of people calling directly in to speak with analysts and don't want to waste their time if an approval is not likely, so they try to minimize the requests by screening people out with their first line of defense.

He said "You weren't initially approved. During this phone call we will collect income information earned from employment salary bonus salary etc. We collect this information for repayment purposes".

He asked security questions, including with what bank my mortgage was through (theirs!). I told him that I already have my mortgage with them, and am wanting to build my relationship with their bank.

Then he proceeded to look at the application. He inquired about the delinquency from 2007 and I explained it again. He looked at my current utilization and asked about the fact that I have low / no balances. He said do you pay off each month? I said that I like to pay off in full each month and that often I pay before the bill is due so that I don't have high balances reporting.

He put me on hold again.

He said, "OK I have some follow up questions". He Asked about a home equity line of credit on my credit report". I explained that I have a second mortgage, not a home equity line of credit and that the payments are all on time (apparently it wasn't reporting properly in the credit report).

Put me on hold again.

He came back and said "Sir, congratulations! We are able to approve you for a $5,000 limit with our Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card. You will receive the bonus points that come with that card, and a companion coupon. You will also receive that companion coupon annually."

He asked about the additional cardholder I had wished to add on the application, and said that card would be issued as well.

I said thank you, and our conversation was over.

Winning!

I hope this will help someone in their BofA recon experience.

BofA Recon; BoA recon; Bank of America Reconsideration

Started out with a 648 EQ in 2018, finally got to 850 FS8 TU | 836 FSU EX in November 2021!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: How to win B of A recon call

Congrats.  When I talked to them they were called senior analyst's.  When I called, the person answered with "hello?".  It threw me off guard for a moment.  She then asked how I got her phone number lol   Banks must switch numbers all the time.  It would seem that the number you called is not so "backdoor" as it used to be if you got a csr first.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 2 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

Congrats thats wonderful

Message 3 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@DesertLife wrote:

I wanted to write a post about my Bank of America Reconsideration line experience in case there are others who will be going through the same thing.

First, I Called 866-458-8805 which is supposed to go directly to a credit analyst per a blog post. I called this number and the automated voice says:

"Next available credit analyst will be with you shortly"

Well, the person who came on the phone said their name and that they would bring up my request and "I'll be the analyst assisting you with that request".

They said, "I do have your application request. Are you calling in to check on the status of your application?"

I said that I had already checked the status online, and that I was calling in because I believe that I had received a denial for credit.

He said, "Let me check on the status......Yes, it appears the reason for being declined was delinquency was reported on credit bureau. It shows a retail credit delinquency from 2007".

I explained the circumstances of the delinquency, that it was after all a long time ago, that my finances have changed, and that since then I have had no delinquencies and have managed my credit appropriately.

He said, "Thank you for explaining that, Sir. I'm going to bring on one of my colleagues to see if we can do something about that."

Then, another person came on the phone and said they were a credit analyst and they would be looking at my request. I thought, wait, wasn't I already talking to a credit analyst? Well, no the first one was a customer service representative, or a screener, before you get to the analyst. That first person had no decision making authority. It would appear that the banks are aware of people calling directly in to speak with analysts and don't want to waste their time if an approval is not likely, so they try to minimize the requests by screening people out with their first line of defense.

He said "You weren't initially approved. During this phone call we will collect income information earned from employment salary bonus salary etc. We collect this information for repayment purposes".

He asked security questions, including with what bank my mortgage was through (theirs!). I told him that I already have my mortgage with them, and am wanting to build my relationship with their bank.

Then he proceeded to look at the application. He inquired about the delinquency from 2007 and I explained it again. He looked at my current utilization and asked about the fact that I have low / no balances. He said do you pay off each month? I said that I like to pay off in full each month and that often I pay before the bill is due so that I don't have high balances reporting.

He put me on hold again.

He said, "OK I have some follow up questions". He Asked about a home equity line of credit on my credit report". I explained that I have a second mortgage, not a home equity line of credit and that the payments are all on time (apparently it wasn't reporting properly in the credit report).

Put me on hold again.

He came back and said "Sir, congratulations! We are able to approve you for a $5,000 limit with our Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card. You will receive the bonus points that come with that card, and a companion coupon. You will also receive that companion coupon annually."

He asked about the additional cardholder I had wished to add on the application, and said that card would be issued as well.

I said thank you, and our conversation was over.

Winning!

I hope this will help someone in their BofA recon experience.

BofA Recon; BoA recon; Bank of America Reconsideration

Congrats!

Message 4 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

An excellent, detailed post.  

If I have to recon with BoA, I'll be referring back to this.  Thank you.

Message 5 of 11
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Is post like these that helps people. I was I new about Myfico three months ago because I never knew about recon and backdoor numbers.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 6 of 11
DesertLife
Regular Contributor

flow - That's funny. I would have been surprised too. Did you tell her where you got the number? I'm guessing the second or 50th time someone calls an analysts direct line they request their number be changed from their supervisor!

john, alexia, - thanks!

djrez, credit - Thanks and I'm glad you find it helpful. I posted this because when I was new to MyFico not that long ago myself, it was detailed, thorough posts that really helped me understand how these processes work. I never knew about recon (backdoor) lines, or about building credit through applying for more cards. I had one credit card with a $6k limit, a mortgage, and a line of credit before I joined. Now I have almost $55k in credit (including two bank lines of credit), many of which are premium products. It's not a race to get the most amount of available credit, however I know that having that much credit available helps me manage my FICO score better as I can keep utilization down, and because I have good credit (not considered "excellent" yet), I am able to obtain good rates, good cards, and enjoy the perks that come along with that. Paying off my cards in full each month means that I am actually saving money by using these cards since I don't pay interest. It may only be 1% - 5% with the occasional 10% from using the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall, but it is better than nothing. Couple that with the rewards bonuses, and it has become downright profitable using these cards! Now let's hope my favorite retailers don't implement that interchange tax / surcharge / fee for using credit cards that's in the news now that it's legal in 40 states.

Started out with a 648 EQ in 2018, finally got to 850 FS8 TU | 836 FSU EX in November 2021!
Message 7 of 11
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Nice going, Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 11
shemika4433

Its works!!!! It works.....I called the recon number and I received my approval in almost the exact order you described.....Thank you SO much.... 5K

Message 9 of 11
DesertLife
Regular Contributor

@shemika4433 wrote:

Its works!!!! It works.....I called the recon number and I received my approval in almost the exact order you described.....Thank you SO much.... 5K

Congrats! That's great that you were approved for $5K on reconsideration! I'm glad the post helped you navigate that experience and I hope you'll continue to check out and participate here on MyFico, as I've found these forums to be invaluable to helping improve my credit and become more knowledgable about credit and credit products. I hope you will too!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.