How useless is an Amex charge card?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: How useless is an Amex charge card?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Whoooo! Nice. I like BOA.

It's a $0 fee vs $450 because one is actually a travel credit card and the other is not.  They are not even close to comparable cards.  Still, congrats on the approval. If it fits your needs better, that's all that counts.

Well it makes me nervous to have a card where they would one day say I'm authorized to spend $70k, and about 10 days later say I'm authorized to spend $8800, for travel use. When traveling I don't need that kind of anxiety.

It frankly makes no sense to me. I was never using it for $70k, I was using it for hundreds of dollars here and there. It always seemed bizarre to me that they were approving me for 50k-60k-70k, but there was no harm in it. But now that they've gone arbitrarily in the other direction, that could cause me a real problem. My payments to them have always been super-super-prompt, my scores have just kept climbing since I've had the card, my utilization is next to zero, but because in their subjective opinion I'm not using the card enough for their tastes, they would drop me 87.5%... that's scary.

Since I got the card I haven't been in a position to make much use of its benefits, and now that I'm in a position in the upcoming months to actually use the **bleep** thing seriously... I'm afraid to use it Smiley Happy

So what good is that to me?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a $0 fee vs $450 because one is actually a travel credit card and the other is not.  They are not even close to comparable cards.  Still, congrats on the approval. If it fits your needs better, that's all that counts.

Well it makes me nervous to have a card where they would one day say I'm authorized to spend $70k, and about 10 days later say I'm authorized to spend $8800, for travel use. When traveling I don't need that kind of anxiety.

It frankly makes no sense to me. I was never using it for $70k, I was using it for hundreds of dollars here and there. It always seemed bizarre to me that they were approving me for 50k-60k-70k, but there was no harm in it. But now that they've gone arbitrarily in the other direction, that could cause me a real problem. My payments to them have always been super-super-prompt, my scores have just kept climbing since I've had the card, my utilization is next to zero, but because in their subjective opinion I'm not using the card enough for their tastes, they would drop me 87.5%... that's scary.

Since I got the card I haven't been in a position to make much use of its benefits, and now that I'm in a position in the upcoming months to actually use the **bleep** thing seriously... I'm afraid to use it Smiley Happy

I'm not disputing any of that and I understand your frustration.  The only 'questionable' aspect of your post is stating that the BoA cad has a $0 Af vs the $450 of the Platinum as if they are comparable cards when they're not.  I'm not saying the Platinum is best for you or that you should continue to pay the $450.  That would be foolish if you're not taking advantage of the card's benefits.  Overall though I wouldn't focus too much on what Amex says they'll approve ahead of time.  Regardless of what they say, every charge is subject to review at the time you make it.  Yes than can be discerning if it were to be denied so I would always have a backup plan.  r

Message 12 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I've been paying $450 a year in annual fees for my Amex Business Platinum Card. I don't use the perks much but I like(d) having it on hand in case I had business travel coming up. I always pay my bills with them super promptly, mostly before the statement even cuts.

The other day on 'check spending power' I was approved for at least $70,000.

Today I'm approved for only $8,800.

After spending 20 minutes or so on the phone I was advised that the reason I'm only approved for $8,800 is that I haven't been using the card much lately.

This is true, but how can I use a card for business travel where I don't even know how much I can spend on it? I can imagine myself on a business trip, in a restaurant or hotel, and having my card declined. This is absolutely ridiculous.

The first opportunity I get I'm going to dump this card and replace it with a business travel card with an actual credit limit upon which I can rely.

After 3,956 posts you are not new here and certainly not new to the entirety of the credit card game/world.  It's not difficult to understand how they calculate your spend versus you income and paying abilites, and certainly if you use them less they will adjust accordingly.  Based on your signature here you have mutliple cards for you business so you can always hit the Amex as your primary and should you get denied somewhere you can use a backup. 

Message 13 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not disputing any of that and I understand your frustration.  The only 'questionable' aspect of your post is stating that the BoA cad has a $0 Af vs the $450 of the Platinum as if they are comparable cards when they're not.  I'm not saying the Platinum is best for you or that you should continue to pay the $450.  That would be foolish if you're not taking advantage of the card's benefits.  Overall though I wouldn't focus too much on what Amex says they'll approve ahead of time.  Regardless of what they say, every charge is subject to review at the time you make it.  Yes than can be discerning if it were to be denied so I would always have a backup plan.  r

Of course you're right, I know it's not comparable.

Message 14 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I've been paying $450 a year in annual fees for my Amex Business Platinum Card. I don't use the perks much but I like(d) having it on hand in case I had business travel coming up. I always pay my bills with them super promptly, mostly before the statement even cuts.

After spending 20 minutes or so on the phone I was advised that the reason I'm only approved for $8,800 is that I haven't been using the card much lately.

This is true, but how can I use a card for business travel where I don't even know how much I can spend on it? I can imagine myself on a business trip, in a restaurant or hotel, and having my card declined. This is absolutely ridiculous.

The first opportunity I get I'm going to dump this card and replace it with a business travel card with an actual credit limit upon which I can rely.

After 3,956 posts you are not new here and certainly not new to the entirety of the credit card game/world.  It's not difficult to understand how they calculate your spend versus you income and paying abilites, and certainly if you use them less they will adjust accordingly.  Based on your signature here you have mutliple cards for you business so you can always hit the Amex as your primary and should you get denied somewhere you can use a backup. 

Yeah and if it were free it would be a no-brainer to keep it around.

But it's $450 per year.

I don't know where you get this "income and paying abilities" thing from. In my case my income and paying ability have just gone up from when I first got the card. They specifically told me that the only reason they lowered the "spending power" was that I haven't been using the card as much recently.

Message 15 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Yeah and if it were free it would be a no-brainer to keep it around.

But it's $450 per year.

I don't know where you get this "income and paying abilities" thing from. In my case my income and paying ability have just gone up from when I first got the card. They specifically told me that the only reason they lowered the "spending power" was that I haven't been using the card as much recently.

Terming it that way was not intentional.  I was just trying to say that when they don't have you meeting a certain pattern of spend/pay that was previously your normal then I felt it could lower what how much CL they give.  I wasn't at all saying your ability to spend/pay has lowered but if you start using the card less they could possibly think that means things have gotten

Message 16 of 53
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I Totally get it! That is the same reason I dumped my Gold reward and Platinum Cards during the last big recession as they CLD me on both cards despite big spend and a perfect payment history. I may get a revolver from them next year but no more charge cards.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 17 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always found that Amex is pretty easy to deal with, especially if you give them notice about your behavior.

For example, since the 0ct 6 increase of 5 pts per $ spent on airfare, ALL of my airfare charges have gone on my platinum Amex.  Until then it was going on my SW Premier.  I average between 5k-10k a month in airfare.  As this is a dramatic increase in spending on my amex compared to prior, I wanted to let them know.

I chatted with an Amex rep for a few min on the website and told him my future usage would be much heavier than in the past due to the change:  I was worried about the same thing you are.  He made a note in my file and basically assured me that any charges that fit this profile, even if it caused my balance to be higher during the month than normal, would not be a problem.

I've had other cards decline and/or shut me down with no notice.  On a memorable trip to Russia, both my Bank of America MC and my Corporate Amex were shut down due to "suspicious" activity - ie, I forgot to call and tell them prior that I would be traveling in Russia.  Only my NFCU MC saved me lol.....

YMMV

Message 18 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like a common trend I've noticed here.. Plat owners dissapointed with how their limits are being handled by Amex. You'd think Amex would take better care of their 'top tier' customers..
Message 19 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

At one point American Express was a status symbol.  Now it's like a Yetti growler/cooler that has 500 competitors making the same product at half the price.

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.