cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will a CC opened and closed in one day affect me?

tag
MMTT31
Established Member

How will a CC opened and closed in one day affect me?

Hello All,

Today after seeing the promotion for the Barclaycard Arrival I decided to pull the trigger and apply. I was approved............... But the computer approved me for a different card, the one that only gives you a 2500 bonus after your first purchase. I called the back door number and the analyst told me she could not do anything since I was approved. I was then transferred to a customer support and they told me that the computer had done it automatically and that if I wanted the arrival card I would have to pull my credit again, I decided the 40,000 bonus points was well worth it. So I applied this time over the phone, I got the " We will give you a response in the mail". I called the back door number again answered a few questions and was approved but I had to cancel the first card I was approved for. They also transferred the CL for the card I had been originally approved for over to the arrival card. So will me opening a credit card and closing it in one day affect me at all?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How will a CC opened and closed in one day affect me?

It might if they report it, which is possible -- nothing you can do now. It will just bring down your AAoA. Crazy that they added the previous CL to the new one, good for you! A good CLI at the beginning. With good use you should get a bigger CL at regular intervals if you do what it says in the "put our heads together" thread on Barclays. Sorry this happened to you, I hate when companies do this, but at least it worked out in your favor. Maybe the 2nd HP will only result in 1 HP since they were both on the same day. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
MMTT31
Established Member

Thank you for the response. I tried to plead my case that it wasn't my fault but the computers, but they would not budge. I was surprised as well that they transferred the CL, I guess it all worked, but we will see when it starts reporting.

Message 3 of 6
titanofold
Established Contributor

Well, they might not report the extra TL as several lenders don't report anything until there's a balance to report.

I odn't know about Barclaycard, but you may get lucky.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 4 of 6
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

Well, they might not report the extra TL as several lenders don't report anything until there's a balance to report.

I odn't know about Barclaycard, but you may get lucky.

OP, FWIW, if you have some type of credit monitoring service, you may want to check by tomorrow (or even today) whether or not Barclays reported just one or both accounts.  IME, Barclays reports new accounts very quickly.....usually by the next day from opening the account.  However, since it sounds like the chain of events from the initial app to closing the original card happened rather fast, I believe the chances of both accounts being reported are fairly low.  JMO. 

Congrats btw on your new card!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 5 of 6
MMTT31
Established Member

I believe the suggestions you guy's gave are correct. On my wellsfargo security enhanced it only shows one new account from Barclay, CK the same. Also the Barclay free fico score says I have a 747 credit score, so that was icing on top of the cake!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.