cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will doing a balance transfer affect my score?

tag
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

How will doing a balance transfer affect my score?

Hey guys. I have a fairly high interest rate on one of my CC's and am looking to do a balance transfer at a credit union.  My concern is this: I've had the CC for a very long time (13 years) and have a decent payment history.  If I do a balance transfer, does that card shut down, and will it show up on my credit report as having opened a new card?  Sorry if this question sounds elementary, but I've never done a balance transfer before.  Thanks.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How will doing a balance transfer affect my score?

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Hey guys. I have a fairly high interest rate on one of my CC's and am looking to do a balance transfer at a credit union.  My concern is this: I've had the CC for a very long time (13 years) and have a decent payment history.  If I do a balance transfer, does that card shut down, and will it show up on my credit report as having opened a new card?  Sorry if this question sounds elementary, but I've never done a balance transfer before.  Thanks.

Are you talking about doing a BT from a card you have with a CU? Or do you mean a personal loan? Sorry for my confusion.

Doing a BT will not affect the status of of that 13 year old CC. And if you are doing the BT from another already existing card nothing new will show up on your reports.

Am I making any sense?  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

It depends on how quickly you pay off the balance after the transfer. 

Message 3 of 18
vish1
Valued Contributor

+1

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 18
MrShush
Valued Contributor

If you BT to a card you already have, it's likely much won't happen. If it's to a new card and the BT doesn't max out your limit, you may (or may not) see an increase in your scores due to a lowered utilization.

No, the card from which you are transferring shouldn't close.

Message 5 of 18
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Hi Marinevietvet,

I'm talking about doing a BT from Wells Fargo bank to a community credit union - not a personal loan.  Please advise based on this new info.  Thanks so much!

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734

Message 6 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Marinevietvet,

I'm talking about doing a BT from Wells Fargo bank to a community credit union - not a personal loan.  Please advise based on this new info.  Thanks so much!

This won't affect your 13 year old account in any way and it won't show up as a new account because both cards already exist. Do you know what the BT fee is? It seems like they run from 3-5% these days.

How long is the offer for and what is the default rate if you don't pay the BT in the alloted time?

How much are you thinking of transferring and what are the rates on the existing card compared to the BT rate?

All these things need to be considered.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 18
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

The credit union doesnt charge anything to receive the transfer and open the card, but Wells Fargo charges 3% of my balance as the balance transfer fee.  I'm wondering if it's best to pay down my current balance with Wells Fargo and raise my FICO before going with a lower rate card.  Right now, the APR on my Wells Fargo card is 21% and the credit union card is 7.95%.  I could possibly get a higher credit limit if my score qualified me.  Someone whose done this before, please advise.  I called the bank and got these answers -- thanks marinevietvet.

And just for clarity, when you do a balance transfer, how does it show up on your credit report?  Would I be closing my account with Wells Fargo? Or would it just show up as Balance transferred from Wells Fargo to ABC Credit Union?

Message 8 of 18
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

It doesnt show up as a Balance Transfer I think.. Its no way different than paying down your debt on your own. I just did a BT from my Wells Fargo to Discover, on WF it shows as Payment Made. Why dont you try for Discover More? They offered me a 0% for BT's for 18 months.

Message 9 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

The credit union doesnt charge anything to receive the transfer and open the card, but Wells Fargo charges 3% of my balance as the balance transfer fee.  I'm wondering if it's best to pay down my current balance with Wells Fargo and raise my FICO before going with a lower rate card.  Right now, the APR on my Wells Fargo card is 21% and the credit union card is 7.95%.  I could possibly get a higher credit limit if my score qualified me.  Someone whose done this before, please advise.  I called the bank and got these answers -- thanks marinevietvet.

And just for clarity, when you do a balance transfer, how does it show up on your credit report?  Would I be closing my account with Wells Fargo? Or would it just show up as Balance transferred from Wells Fargo to ABC Credit Union?

I guess I was confused from the beginning. I thought you were doing a BT from an existing account to another existing account. You are talking about getting a new card at a CU and then doing the BT from the WF card to it. Now I have it.  Smiley Happy

If they give you the card at the CU your score will be hit a little because of a new inquiry and new credit showing on your report plus it might lower your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts). Whatever point hit you take will recover in 6-12 months. You will need to decide if the application for the new card is worth it or if you just need to work on getting the balance on the WF card down as fast as possible. What is the balance and credit limit on the WF card?

The BT itself will not show on your reports and your WF card will not be affected. Since you will be going from the CU card to the WF card (correct?) there will be no transfer fee. That 3% quoted by WF is only is you do a BT from their card to another account.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.