cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will my WellsFargo account report after Fraud case?

tag
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

How will my WellsFargo account report after Fraud case?

I've had quite the fun the past two days. On Friday I used my Amex SPG card to purchase a ticket at southwest.com and they authorized thousands of dollars in error and maxed out the card, so I am waiting for that account to reconcile before beginning to use it again. 

During the interim, I started using my WellsFargo card today. Tonight when I logged in I noticed many fraudulent charges on the account, called Wells and they closed it and are sending me a new card account number. 

The credit card account for WF already disappeared online, so I am wondering how this will report to my credit? Is it going to show a closed account, no change, new account? If it is a new account what will the open date be? 

I thought I had seen this information on here before but didn't find anything when searching.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mum4519
Contributor

Re: How will my WellsFargo account report after Fraud case?

I work for WF in the credit department and it is reported as lost/stolen, closed by bank due to fraud.
- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Wells Fargo Rewards $9,200
Chase Southwest VISA $5,200
Message 2 of 7
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Dang that is really unfortunate for me.. This is my oldest account and now I am going to lose that? 

A new account is going to start over brand new? 

Message 3 of 7
mum4519
Contributor

The old account will remain on your bureau but it will be reported as closed with the new one showing up on your bureau as well.
- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Wells Fargo Rewards $9,200
Chase Southwest VISA $5,200
Message 4 of 7
andre181
Established Contributor

When my WF CC was closed to due to fraud, nothing happened on my CRs. The account number changed on my existing TL, and the account was never marked closed and AAoA wasn't affected.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@andre181 wrote:

When my WF CC was closed to due to fraud, nothing happened on my CRs. The account number changed on my existing TL, and the account was never marked closed and AAoA wasn't affected.

+1

Right in the middle of trying to close on our first home someone cloned my WF CC and made purchases with it in a far away land. WF caught the fraud and didn't allow anything to process (yay WF!). I spoke to a CSR and told him to freeze all future charges but said I did NOT want to report it stolen out of fear that util and AAoA might change if updated, and possibly my FICO. He told me no worries but didn't put any faith into them. About 3 weeks later we closed on the home and then reported the CC as stolen. Good to their word, the TL changed to reflect a new account number only. The old was replaced with the new with no additional WF TL being added. Kudos to them. Wish all did that.

Message 6 of 7
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@andre181 wrote:

+1

Right in the middle of trying to close on our first home someone cloned my WF CC and made purchases with it in a far away land. WF caught the fraud and didn't allow anything to process (yay WF!). I spoke to a CSR and told him to freeze all future charges but said I did NOT want to report it stolen out of fear that util and AAoA might change if updated, and possibly my FICO. He told me no worries but didn't put any faith into them. About 3 weeks later we closed on the home and then reported the CC as stolen. Good to their word, the TL changed to reflect a new account number only. The old was replaced with the new with no additional WF TL being added. Kudos to them. Wish all did that.

Should I call and request that or is it normal procedure?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.