cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hsn just did a hard inquiry without my consent what do i do?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Re: Hsn just did a hard inquiry without my consent what do i do?

@CC365 wrote:

@quarius wrote:

All in all i don't like bad business and if they find it in there best interest to do this to me i will not be odering anything from them again, and after i pay them done i will instantly close the account. I have been a great customer of theirs over the years and never ever been late on a payment. They can trust me but why can't i be able to trust them? Screw all that crap all it takes is 1 time for me. I wont stand for something like this.

What probably happened was that the available credit in your HSN account wasn't high enough and they decided to do a CLI thinking you wanted that when you requested their payment method. It is also possible they wanted to see if you qualified for the extra payment via the HSN credit card account. All in all this may not be HSN's problem but the financial backers of the card which I believe is Comenity Capital Bank. I would contact them and see if they will recode it. If not...try to dispute it with the Credit Reporting Agencies. 

I plan on it, im disputing everything. They shouldn't practice any kind of methods like this, and i hope anyone who reads this sees what happened. I won't use them after this especially if i have to go out of my way to clear this up. Im to good of a customer to any credit company i use to have to even deal with this.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 11 of 22
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Hi.

Im sorry to hear of your situation.

We all need to remind ourselves that when we use credit we open ourselves to review to our grantors. I would assume hitting you limit and receiving a decline made thrm pull your credit, either to offer you a cli, or decide if your risk profile has changed to a pount they can no longer offer you credit.

Unfortunately i do not think you can get this removed, but it may be worth the effort.

The only company i have worked with that is a guaranteed soft pull is AMEX. They open with a hard, and then only soft pulls for all clis and account reviews.
Message 12 of 22
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

not trying to knock you, but this is not on hsn. it is kind of a lesson for all on knowing exactly, or real close to it, your credit limits, balances, and approx due dates. you used your hsn credit card and hsn attempted to let you do what you wanted them to do. the fact that you were over your limit and trying to use the credit card anyway, gave them permission to run your credit.

had they done that and doubled your credit line, you might have posted how great they were to you.

like i said this is not directed at you trying to be mean to you but had you been more aware of your balances this would not have happened. Especially this time of year everyone using credit cards to buy things for people as an expression of love, be sure to not do yourself harm. Ourloved ones will love us even if we can't afford to spend money we don't have just because it is Christmas. At least they should.

Just my opinion and I sure have been wrong lots of times before.
Message 13 of 22
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@pdog661 wrote:
Hi.

Im sorry to hear of your situation.

We all need to remind ourselves that when we use credit we open ourselves to review to our grantors. I would assume hitting you limit and receiving a decline made thrm pull your credit, either to offer you a cli, or decide if your risk profile has changed to a pount they can no longer offer you credit.

Unfortunately i do not think you can get this removed, but it may be worth the effort.

The only company i have worked with that is a guaranteed soft pull is AMEX. They open with a hard, and then only soft pulls for all clis and account reviews.

+1

This is at least the second thread about HSN in the past few days for a similar reason.  I'll avoid the obvious question of "Why bother shopping with HSN when the internet exists" but just be aware of how a flexible spending line can affect you.  Perhaps Bill Me Later would be a better option.

Also, AMEX hard pulls on approvals for new products, FYI

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 14 of 22
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Yes you are correct. New products do require a hp, but not clis or pcs.
Message 15 of 22
quarius
Regular Contributor

@Chris123nTx wrote:
not trying to knock you, but this is not on hsn. it is kind of a lesson for all on knowing exactly, or real close to it, your credit limits, balances, and approx due dates. you used your hsn credit card and hsn attempted to let you do what you wanted them to do. the fact that you were over your limit and trying to use the credit card anyway, gave them permission to run your credit.

had they done that and doubled your credit line, you might have posted how great they were to you.

like i said this is not directed at you trying to be mean to you but had you been more aware of your balances this would not have happened. Especially this time of year everyone using credit cards to buy things for people as an expression of love, be sure to not do yourself harm. Ourloved ones will love us even if we can't afford to spend money we don't have just because it is Christmas. At least they should.

Just my opinion and I sure have been wrong lots of times before.

LOL did u really think this whole post out yourself? Do u really think i can't afford to pay this debit down? Sorry but i have a great job and i make great money. Who posts this crap cause the way your making it like i want this to happen, also noted i didn't want more credit from them and i would not be happy if they gave me more credit. I would rather have more credit on my prime cards not these stupid store cards.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
Message 16 of 22
quarius
Regular Contributor

Sorry if i haven't made myself clear but right now im in the garden. Hopefully u can understand my concern and why this makes me even more made. U guys may think this is no harm but it is especially from the plans that i have in the next few months. I work hard on my credit and take it very serious, for me everything matters.

Message 17 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think you answered your own question. When you call to ask them to decide the inquiry..... you should consider closing them. Ive never been a fan of having a lot of store cards!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 18 of 22
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@quarius wrote:

@bostonte wrote:

Did you have enough available credit on your HSN account to cover the purchase? Some creditors treat a purchase request in excess of the credit line as a request for a credit line increase, and process it accordingly.

either way, if you have a credit account with them they have permissible purpose to pull whenever they like. The laws regarding permissible purpose for current creditors do no differentiate between hard or soft inquiries. They either have permission for both or neither.

No i guess not cause i bought some christmas gifts and thought i had enough but it got declined, and i had to use my personal cc to make the purchase so in the end i didn't even use there credit this time.

You "think" you had enough?  So you are not sure?  Apparently you didn't have enough.  When you had them try to put your purchase through and it wasn't enough, they ran your report to see if they should give you enough to cover your purchase and you were declined.  Taken from their website:  "You hereby authorize us to investigate your credit record. You agree that a credit report may be requested in connection with the processing of an application for credit, and subsequently in connection with any extension of credit, or any request to increase your credit limit, or any renewal or update of your Account, or to take collection action on the Account, or to investigate disputes regarding the Account."

It is your responsibiltiy to make sure you know your credit limit and available credit on each of your credit cards.  I would have felt sympathetic if you stated that your available credit was $800 and you tried to make a purchase for $300.  But that isn't the case.  Apparently, you tried to charge something that was over your available credit and they saw that as a request to increase your credit limit.  HSN was not wrong here.  It doesn't matter if you are a "good customer" or if you make a lot of money or if you can afford to pay the bill.  They were just doing what they state they do so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. 

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 19 of 22
quarius
Regular Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@bostonte wrote:

Did you have enough available credit on your HSN account to cover the purchase? Some creditors treat a purchase request in excess of the credit line as a request for a credit line increase, and process it accordingly.

either way, if you have a credit account with them they have permissible purpose to pull whenever they like. The laws regarding permissible purpose for current creditors do no differentiate between hard or soft inquiries. They either have permission for both or neither.

No i guess not cause i bought some christmas gifts and thought i had enough but it got declined, and i had to use my personal cc to make the purchase so in the end i didn't even use there credit this time.

You "think" you had enough?  So you are not sure?  Apparently you didn't have enough.  When you had them try to put your purchase through and it wasn't enough, they ran your report to see if they should give you enough to cover your purchase and you were declined.  Taken from their website:  "You hereby authorize us to investigate your credit record. You agree that a credit report may be requested in connection with the processing of an application for credit, and subsequently in connection with any extension of credit, or any request to increase your credit limit, or any renewal or update of your Account, or to take collection action on the Account, or to investigate disputes regarding the Account."

It is your responsibiltiy to make sure you know your credit limit and available credit on each of your credit cards.  I would have felt sympathetic if you stated that your available credit was $800 and you tried to make a purchase for $300.  But that isn't the case.  Apparently, you tried to charge something that was over your available credit and they saw that as a request to increase your credit limit.  HSN was not wrong here.  It doesn't matter if you are a "good customer" or if you make a lot of money or if you can afford to pay the bill.  They were just doing what they state they do so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. 

Ok whatever u say, to the guy above me. So your saying i can't shop and use my cc's and if i ever go to make a purchase and it reaches my limit this is not allowed? Your also saying creditors have a right to decline my transaction while running my credit as a hardpull without me even wanting or asking for this? I did end up paying for this with my own visa card from a different bank. If this is ok with u then u got issues because it is not ok with me and i would rather not even use them anymore after this. I will be paying this off like i stated above and closing this account, i don't need any headaches and i don't need people running my credit without even asking me first and i also don't need my fico score to drop 7 points and have to find out about it this way. Had i not had the fico monitering i would have never even known this. Kudos to them for going above and beyond by running my credit without me even knowing about this, they have lost a good customer because of this business practice. Try to make excuses why this is right but i won't stand for this. I guess your right that i wanted to buy christmas gift for family and i overlooked my balance. Also noted i don't want your sympathy i want to know what case i have here and how to go further, i have never had something like this happen before nor did i even think it was possible to happen. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.