Reply
Frequent Contributor
Brian_Trying_700
Posts: 446
Registered: ‎09-14-2011
0

Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

[ Edited ]

I live in New Jersey. Hope everyone is well. Ran a $1000 + to prepare. Costco was only accepting Amex or debit. 2 hour lines for gas. I didn't have to go as I have 5 cars and 30 gallons of gas along with a generator on hand. We have never been hit so hard. Ranked #3  in hurricanes so far reported. My work load will be really busy though the next week to a year or more to come. Please tell me your experience on the east coast.

\

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Regular Contributor
jm00ser
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎07-11-2012
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

Glad you are safe, hope all our Atlantic Coast members are ok as well. Have some fam on Long Island and they are ok, no power and powerlines everywhere!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Established Contributor
distantarray
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$


Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I live in New Jersey. Hope everyone is well. Ran a $1000 + to prepare. Costco was only accepting Amex or debit. 2 hour lines for gas. I didn't have to go as I have 5 cars and 30 gallons of gas along with a generator on hand. We have never been hit so hard. Ranked #3  in hurricanes so far reported. My work load will be really busy though the next week to a year or more to come. Please tell me your experience on the east coast.

\


you know Costco only accepts Amex or debit everyday right? =) 

they don't take Visa Mastercard or Discover or anything else, just debit card or Amex everyday of the year even before Sandy :smileyhappy:


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
Jutz
Posts: 1,216
Registered: ‎05-10-2012
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

Glad you're ok, looks like Jersey took the brunt of it, NYC looks pretty shocking too.  I live in New England, but didn't get hit too hard.  Good luck with everything!

  • Current: EQ FICO 694, TU FICO 695, EX FICO 698 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $29,500
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 6 TU 3 EX 6 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $5000
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $1000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $2400
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Frequent Contributor
TheConductor
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎07-24-2012
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$


distantarray wrote:

Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I live in New Jersey. Hope everyone is well. Ran a $1000 + to prepare. Costco was only accepting Amex or debit. 2 hour lines for gas. I didn't have to go as I have 5 cars and 30 gallons of gas along with a generator on hand. We have never been hit so hard. Ranked #3  in hurricanes so far reported. My work load will be really busy though the next week to a year or more to come. Please tell me your experience on the east coast.

\


you know Costco only accepts Amex or debit everyday right? =) 

they don't take Visa Mastercard or Discover or anything else, just debit card or Amex everyday of the year even before Sandy :smileyhappy:


Pretty sure OP just meant that Costco was NOT taking cash. Which makes sense...you don't want to pile up tons of cash when you might have no open bank to deposit it to.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 670 (myFICO 9/8/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 693 (WalMart 9/2/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Walmart (Store) $2.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k
Valued Contributor
ryanbush
Posts: 1,299
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$


TheConductor wrote:

distantarray wrote:

Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I live in New Jersey. Hope everyone is well. Ran a $1000 + to prepare. Costco was only accepting Amex or debit. 2 hour lines for gas. I didn't have to go as I have 5 cars and 30 gallons of gas along with a generator on hand. We have never been hit so hard. Ranked #3  in hurricanes so far reported. My work load will be really busy though the next week to a year or more to come. Please tell me your experience on the east coast.

\


you know Costco only accepts Amex or debit everyday right? =) 

they don't take Visa Mastercard or Discover or anything else, just debit card or Amex everyday of the year even before Sandy :smileyhappy:


Pretty sure OP just meant that Costco was NOT taking cash. Which makes sense...you don't want to pile up tons of cash when you might have no open bank to deposit it to.


isn't it illegal to not accept cash as a form of payment in the US?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Frequent Contributor
TheConductor
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎07-24-2012
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

[ Edited ]

ryanbush wrote:
isn't it illegal to not accept cash as a form of payment in the US?

No, it's illegal not to accept dollars.  It's an important distinction.

 

They are free to refuse any particular form of payment you wish to use to deliver dollars to them. However, they cannot refuse to accept dollars in the satisfaction of a debt.

 

So, if for example your local Irish pub were run by a genuine Irish family who wanted some cash for their impending vacation in the homeland, it would be illegal for them to insist on payment in Euros.

 

However, it would be perfectly legal for them to say "Our pub only takes credit and debit cards...no cash!"

 

Edited to add, from the horse's mouth:  http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 670 (myFICO 9/8/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 693 (WalMart 9/2/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Walmart (Store) $2.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k
Established Contributor
distantarray
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

i dunno i can't see a big company like Costco not to accept cash i really doubt that's the case.


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
ryanbush
Posts: 1,299
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$


TheConductor wrote:

ryanbush wrote:
isn't it illegal to not accept cash as a form of payment in the US?

No, it's illegal not to accept dollars.  It's an important distinction.

 

They are free to refuse any particular form of payment you wish to use to deliver dollars to them. However, they cannot refuse to accept dollars in the satisfaction of a debt.

 

So, if for example your local Irish pub were run by a genuine Irish family who wanted some cash for their impending vacation in the homeland, it would be illegal for them to insist on payment in Euros.

 

However, it would be perfectly legal for them to say "Our pub only takes credit and debit cards...no cash!"

 

Edited to add, from the horse's mouth:  http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx


 

Great info, thanks for the reply!

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Senior Contributor
john398
Posts: 3,519
Registered: ‎01-19-2009
0

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

Does this costco gas station run unattendeed? Ie just pay at the pump? if so they have no way to accept cash


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}