Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

tag
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

I live in New Jersey. Hope everyone is well. Ran a $1000 + to prepare. Costco was only accepting Amex or debit. 2 hour lines for gas. I didn't have to go as I have 5 cars and 30 gallons of gas along with a generator on hand. We have never been hit so hard. Ranked #3  in hurricanes so far reported. My work load will be really busy though the next week to a year or more to come. Please tell me your experience on the east coast.

\

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Re: Hurricane Sandy hit the credit cards. $$

Glad you are safe, hope all our Atlantic Coast members are ok as well. Have some fam on Long Island and they are ok, no power and powerlines everywhere!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 2 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I live in New Jersey. Hope everyone is well. Ran a $1000 + to prepare. Costco was only accepting Amex or debit. 2 hour lines for gas. I didn't have to go as I have 5 cars and 30 gallons of gas along with a generator on hand. We have never been hit so hard. Ranked #3  in hurricanes so far reported. My work load will be really busy though the next week to a year or more to come. Please tell me your experience on the east coast.

\

you know Costco only accepts Amex or debit everyday right? =) 

they don't take Visa Mastercard or Discover or anything else, just debit card or Amex everyday of the year even before Sandy Smiley Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 10
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Glad you're ok, looks like Jersey took the brunt of it, NYC looks pretty shocking too.  I live in New England, but didn't get hit too hard.  Good luck with everything!

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 10
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

\

they don't take Visa Mastercard or Discover or anything else, just debit card or Amex everyday of the year even before Sandy Smiley Happy

Pretty sure OP just meant that Costco was NOT taking cash. Which makes sense...you don't want to pile up tons of cash when you might have no open bank to deposit it to.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

\

Pretty sure OP just meant that Costco was NOT taking cash. Which makes sense...you don't want to pile up tons of cash when you might have no open bank to deposit it to.

isn't it illegal to not accept cash as a form of payment in the US?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 10
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

No, it's illegal not to accept dollars.  It's an important distinction.

They are free to refuse any particular form of payment you wish to use to deliver dollars to them. However, they cannot refuse to accept dollars in the satisfaction of a debt.

So, if for example your local Irish pub were run by a genuine Irish family who wanted some cash for their impending vacation in the homeland, it would be illegal for them to insist on payment in Euros.

However, it would be perfectly legal for them to say "Our pub only takes credit and debit cards...no cash!"

Edited to add, from the horse's mouth:  http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 7 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

i dunno i can't see a big company like Costco not to accept cash i really doubt that's the case.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

No, it's illegal not to accept dollars.  It's an important distinction.

They are free to refuse any particular form of payment you wish to use to deliver dollars to them. However, they cannot refuse to accept dollars in the satisfaction of a debt.

So, if for example your local Irish pub were run by a genuine Irish family who wanted some cash for their impending vacation in the homeland, it would be illegal for them to insist on payment in Euros.

However, it would be perfectly legal for them to say "Our pub only takes credit and debit cards...no cash!"

Edited to add, from the horse's mouth:  http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

Great info, thanks for the reply!

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

Does this costco gas station run unattendeed? Ie just pay at the pump? if so they have no way to accept cash

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.