Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyatt Becoming a Daily Driver

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hyatt Becoming a Daily Driver

With regards to CSP that was my reasoning as well. Well, that and my lowish scores lol. So decided to go for the Hyatt. Crazy I know but it was literally my dream card Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Granted nothing in the HGP program devalues, I could never get rid of it either!

Message 12 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

I really only use my card when staying wiht Hyatt. I have the CS so if I am not using my prestige on restaurants I am using my CS and earning Chase URs. If I want to transfer those to Hyatt I can (and I usually do), but at least this way I have an option of using the points on something other than Hyatt if the need occurs. The free night isn't all that great don't be misled. On a recent trip I could find no hyatts at any of my destinations that were low enough category to even use the certificate at. The platnium status doesn't do a whole lot either. Sometimes they offer card holders a lower redemption rate on award stays which ended up saving me over 20k points a year ago. I kept the card in hopes they would do it again but no luck so far. This card has my highest credit line but I think I may PC to a freedom unlimited if they allow me to. My status with marriott gets me more so I would likely go with them on paid stays anyway. Its certainly not a bad card, but given the difficulty in using the certificates I don't think it will work for me going forward. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting experiences, red. I've gotten much value out of the free night, although circumstances vary. Hoping you can find some way to put that credit limit to better use on a different card.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That's not bad at all. The free night stay every year is a cool bonus. But I guess if you don't travel much it might not make much sense as a general spending card?

You don't have to be a world class traveler to keep this card in your wallet. You do at least take 1 vacation annually?

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to use the Hyatt as an everyday card but they dont have many category level 4's in NY. and i have trouble deciding where to travel to that i can use the free annual night at a categ level 4 to make it seem worth it. So for now i'm using my new United card for small purchases and amex for the large purchases. 

United is only 1 mile for $1 so that sux but i thought airline miles could always be used... 

not sure if i'll keep the Hyatt card come next March but the free annual night covers the AF and i dont really like just getting a card and cancelling in a short period of time (2 yrs)

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hyatt, IHG, and Marriott are on my wishlist.

I've read that Hyatt and IHG are not under the 5/24 rule yet, so I may try for both in a month.

Message 17 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

I wouldn't consider using this card as a daily driver but I find it useful in my case 

Free Internet doesn't matter in my case cause I can use my phone as a hot spot 

The 15% bonus is a plus and builds points fast 

The free annual night is a plus 

72 hour room guarantee

The late checkout and free upgrade I've used every time up until last week the hotel was full and understandable why I couldn't upgrade(COPA America) 

But all in all for the low AF I'll keep it

I also don't book my hotel with the card as I get better value from the use of  Amex charge or CSP for redemption purposes 

I will however put dining on it if I have a meal at the hotel or if an establishment is connected to the hotel like in Dallas (Wolfgang Puck)

But dining is limited as well since I get 3% on a business card just depends on the situation (business or pleasure)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 18 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It's definitely a great card for the value of the free night alone, however, I find the HGP program to be "meh" at best. I couldn't care less about earnings and redemptions as much as I care about benefits, and Marriott and Hilton are pretty much tops with that in the mid-tier level. Spg has decent benefits as a top tier, and Hyatt is okay at top tier.
Message 19 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I've had that happen here and there where I start using one of my cards a bit more than intended for that period of time. For me, usually, there is no logic to it. Sometimes it's more of a matter of when I finally pull it back out of my wallet. Strange, but that is what I tend to do.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.