Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I CANT BELIEVE IT! AMEX APPROVED!

tag
aftermath
Established Contributor

I CANT BELIEVE IT! AMEX APPROVED!

I've been browsing the forum for some time now and have read about many with not-so-great credit being approved for the Amex Delta Skymiles Card.

For the past year, the only cards I have been able to be approved for were:

Orchard Bank $300

Capital One $300

In an attempt to try to fix the damage I have done to my credit, (Had some financial issues a few years back but now I'm back on my feet) I have been diligently paying my 2 credit cards on time, every time, for the past few months.

Only having a credit limit of $300 just wasn't cutting it for me. So...

Since everyone has had such great luck with the Delta card, I said what the heck, it wouldn't hurt just to try it, (even though my credit is cluttered with CO's and DEROGS and in the low 600's) to my amazement, I was approved for $4500!

Now my question is... HOW IN THE WORLD DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!?!? WOO HOO!!!!

Message Edited by aftermath on 05-09-2008 11:27 PM
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Re: I CANT BELIEVE IT! AMEX APPROVED!

Wow, what a great new card and limit! A big step up - you should feel proud! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 18
aftermath
Established Contributor

Thank you thank you.

Now time to MAX THIS BABY OUT!

JUST KIDDING! hehehe...

But seriously, i'm still trying to figure out how in the world I got approved? Any insights?

If they pulled an EX, my score is 633.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my eye on Amex or maybe NFCU when they open up to all service branches in July.

Just got a chase card in Feb so don't want to apply for anything for 6 months at a minimum may even wait a year.

You say your CR is cluttered with co's derogs etc how old are these? I have a similar deal going on in my CR's but they are aging most recent is 2yr 8mo's ago other 3-4 years old.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP- Was this an instant approval?
Message 5 of 18
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@aftermath wrote:
Thank you thank you.

Now time to MAX THIS BABY OUT!

JUST KIDDING! hehehe...

But seriously, i'm still trying to figure out how in the world I got approved? Any insights?

If they pulled an EX, my score is 633.

Congrats on your escape from re-builder land!

How long ago was your most recent baddie? In other words, how many straight months of clean credit history do you have? And how old and how severe was your worst baddie?

I'm thinking that AmEx is willing to give you a try if you've shown a decent string of good behavior.

And this is COMPLETELY off the wall, but do we have any Delta Skymiles holders who were surprised to get the card, but are living near a Delta Air Lines hub, or another airport with a lot of Delta presence? I've always wondered how much input the affiliated business has on cards like these. Maybe Delta gives some preference to those who they think will be more likely to use the card to fly Delta, and proximity to their service areas might give a few points.

A stretch, I know. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Congrats OP. So you got my card huh? Smiley Happy Use the card a lot and PIF the sob and they will reward you.
Message 8 of 18
UpNComing
Established Contributor

aftermath wrote:
I've been browsing the forum for some time now and have read about many with not-so-great credit being approved for the Amex Delta Skymiles Card.

For the past year, the only cards I have been able to be approved for were:

Orchard Bank $300

Capital One $300

In an attempt to try to fix the damage I have done to my credit, (Had some financial issues a few years back but now I'm back on my feet) I have been diligently paying my 2 credit cards on time, every time, for the past few months.

Only having a credit limit of $300 just wasn't cutting it for me. So...

Since everyone has had such great luck with the Delta card, I said what the heck, it wouldn't hurt just to try it, (even though my credit is cluttered with CO's and DEROGS and in the low 600's) to my amazement, I was approved for $4500!

Now my question is... HOW IN THE WORLD DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!?!? WOO HOO!!!!

Message Edited by aftermath on 05-09-2008 11:27 PM

Its like a rash!!!  Everyones catching it!  Smiley Very Happy
CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and Welcome to the AMEX Family!
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.