Did you mean: 

I Closed All Barclays Cards Today!

tag
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: I Closed All Barclays Cards Today!

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is why I would NEVER EVER get a Barclay's card. EVER. This is the same bank that was caught laundering drug money for the Narco Cartels and CEO was also caught lying under Senate Oath. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-20130214?page=3

I would never bank with them for ANYTHING. 

They commit so many offences under law and they screw over so many customers so it is ironic and funny how they balance chase there customers and close there accounts. They were also caught illegally robo signing morgage documents without the home owners consent. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM this bank. 

The referenced article (the bit about drug cartels anyway) is about HSBC, not Barclays.    Barclays is most famous for the LIBOR scandal (although it has done many other things in the US, manipulating energy futures in CA for example).   But even with Libor, it was eventually joined by Chase, and the only person sent to jail so far for LIBOR worked for Citi.   So hard to avoid the guilty banks.

And, on a mercenary note, most of these actions are at least short term profitable (even the fines don't really make a dent) and allow the banks to offer good deals on credit cards, so you as well take advantage!

I hate to play devil's advocate here but I agree! If you want to avoid all banks that have done sketchy/horrible things, you're going to be stuck with CUs and maybe some smaller banks. I think we should just cash in. 

To OP - I'm sorry Barclays didn't work out for you. 

You know, I don't really see how Sallie Mae is supposed to be a student card. Yes, the purpose is to pay down your student loans with the cashback but (1), don't you start paying student loans a year after you finish school and (2), it doesn't even ask if you are a student on the application/mention you need to be a student for the card anyway. I guess I just don't see it as a student card. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 31 of 177
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Don't feel bad B. They got me too. Cld Ring from $10k to $800 with a $0 balance. I IMMEDIATELY closed that sucka. Sallie Mae cld from $11k to $9300. I had about a month earlier given them a bt of around $8k to take advantage of their 0% apr. Luckily I caught the cld before my statement cut and paid a hefty payment so my util on the card wouldn't report so high. VERY upset with fickle Barclays. I will transfer my balance and never swipe the SM again. I thought long and hard about closing it as well. But I may just sd it and buy a couple .50 Amazon gift cards with it every year. Undecided right now. I'll never app another Barclays card again. Smiley Mad

It will be interesting to see what Barclay does to my Ring. A few days ago I made several BTs to it which I will be BT'ing them to another card. Hopefully, everything will be okay. After reading what happened to you and B335, I won't do that again. Thanks for sharing your story Baller.

But why should you have to be afraid to use BTs that the lender offers you, particularly on a card like Ring where BTs are practically encouraged by the marketing?

I do think OP was aggressively seeking credit and that lead to these problems but still. Barclay's is just very finnicky across the board.

My "guess" is the closing of the Wyndham and then re-applying the same day triggered something that made them take a second look at everything.  It sucksSmiley Mad

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 32 of 177
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I use Sallie Mae exclusively for gas and it's great for that in my situation but it is one of my lowest limits at 2.5k and I can not get them to increase it.  On the plus side, such a low limit makes it have little to no impact if they close it, but on the down side the low limit makes it more difficult to use. 

My plan is to eventually go for the PenFed gas card and SD Sallie.

Sorry for the AA OP.

Message 33 of 177
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
You're really making me not want to app for sallie Mae.

I think the 5% cash back on groceries, gas, and books is a good card to have in one's arsenal. In my home we have two college students and I'm looking forward to earning 5% cash back on our expensive textbooks.

If the card meets a need in your life, then apply for it. Every thing is a matter of opinion. In the end, the only opinion that matters is your own. Best of luck!Smiley Happy

This.  I have 2 college students as authorized users on my Sallie Mae.  So the textbooks deals are worth it.  Also it gives 5% on anything they buy in the school bookstore.  The gas was helpful before, but now that I have a Prius, not so much.  Groceries at $250 cap is perfect for my portfolio.  

Still seeing them take AA keeps my use limited to these 3 things only.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 34 of 177
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

It is hard not to take it personal especially when they put you in a bad situation or possibly a bad situation.. 

Definitely not easy!  

This is why I have no compunction to take advantage of Issuers/Banks at every turn.  I think of it as a semi-Robin Hood thing, rob from the rich Banks, and keep it.  The irony is that when Banks AA consumers, it's just business; when we do it to them, it's somehow unethical/perk abuse.  Hypocrisy personified.

Message 35 of 177
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Wow that just stinks, I personally haven't had any issues with them. During my second app spree a few months ago I opened up an Apple card, transfered the limit to my Arrival and closed the card the same day with no issues. I'm supprised they didn't say anything about the slew of inquires and new accounts. I run at least $9k+ a month through Arrival.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 36 of 177
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Also thank you B for sharing this most recent experience with them.

I only just last week had to go thru Recon for the Ring Card and the best that group could do was move limits to open it but at least the HP didn't go totally to waste. I had Rewards MC over a year with solid useage and according to their own words "strong payment history" but it never seen a one of those much posted auto-cli's once and also the call-in APR deal yielded nothing for the trouble.

Thanks to this read i most certainly WILL NOT be placing any BT's whatsoever on it but instead just regular purchase useage.

Message 37 of 177
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I'm worried. For the first time I just used one of those checks, ($1200 on a $5K limit), they send every month with my NFL card statement. The 0% APR until March 2017 was too hard to resist. Maybe I should just pay it off when it hits my account.

Message 38 of 177
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I only just last week had to go thru Recon for the Ring Card and the best that group could do was move limits to open it but at least the HP didn't go totally to waste. I had Rewards MC over a year with solid useage and according to their own words "strong payment history" but it never seen a one of those much posted auto-cli's once and also the call-in APR deal yielded nothing for the trouble.

Thanks to this read i most certainly WILL NOT be placing any BT's whatsoever on it but instead just regular purchase useage.

I went through the same thing with the Sallie Mae, and I had over 5 years perfect payment history on a Juniper card I had with them. And my TU score was 800 at the time.

Message 39 of 177
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I went through the same thing with the Sallie Mae, and I had over 5 years perfect payment history on a Juniper card I had with them. And my TU score was 800 at the time.

Wow CAP, that full 5 years good history would shine bright as a diamond with nearly all other lenders . Simply incredible.

Message 40 of 177
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.