Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Come To The Garden Alone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Come To The Garden Alone

I can't describe how much I enjoy reading the posts and advice on MyFico.  I have to admit  the successful application posts; flavor of the month discussions and all the other posts are great. They do make me want to apply just to see what happens.  But I know that this practice (at least for me) is not wise.  I have the cards I need with only one app still pending and I will not be applying for more cards for a long time.

The issue now for me is I'm going to the garden but what in the world am I gonna do while in there?  So what do you do while in the garden to occupy your time and address the lack of the euphoria that comes along with pushing the submit button on a new app?  Maybe I will have to live thru the new posts and imagine it's me.

Although I accomplished what I needed from the advice on MyFico community members in a very short period of time, now that I have I feel a little lost.

Any ideas? What's next? How many roses can I stop and smell?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: I Come To The Garden Alone

A LOT!  Smiley Happy

Generally, the idea of gardenning is to allow your plants to grow.  Prune if necessary, work on credit reports, and maximize soft pull CLI's.  We try to avoid new accounts and inquiries.

There is a LOT of strategizing for each individual based on what he or she wants to accomplish.

Come on it... we don't bite... much.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I've learned that when I'm not gardening, and have the continuous itch, I'm always thinking or reading up on ways to get new cards, CLI's, better score, etc. It's never ending. I'm amazed at how much time I spend plotting ways to make another move.

In gardening, you can actually live a little more normal and focus on other things lol.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The purpose of the garden is to learn descipline & the virtual of patience Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

A LOT!  Smiley Happy

Generally, the idea of gardenning is to allow your plants to grow.  Prune if necessary, work on credit reports, and maximize soft pull CLI's.  We try to avoid new accounts and inquiries.

There is a LOT of strategizing for each individual based on what he or she wants to accomplish.

Thanks. I'm gonna do my best.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The purpose of the garden is to learn descipline & the virtual of patience Smiley Happy

Discipline ok but I can tell you now patience is not in my vocabulary (LOL).  

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
I've learned that when I'm not gardening, and have the continuous itch, I'm always thinking or reading up on ways to get new cards, CLI's, better score, etc. It's never ending. I'm amazed at how much time I spend plotting ways to make another move.

In gardening, you can actually live a little more normal and focus on other things lol.

Ok but I've always been a little abnormal but I'll give it a try.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

A LOT!  Smiley Happy

Got it. I'll work on it. Thanks

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free snacks and beverages in the GC! New guys have to bring donuts though. Smiley Happy

As said, it's a supportive place to grow what you have.
Message 9 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't describe how much I enjoy reading the posts and advice on MyFico.  I have to admit  the successful application posts; flavor of the month discussions and all the other posts are great. They do make me want to apply just to see what happens.  But I know that this practice (at least for me) is not wise.  I have the cards I need with only one app still pending and I will not be applying for more cards for a long time.

The issue now for me is I'm going to the garden but what in the world am I gonna do while in there?  So what do you do while in the garden to occupy your time and address the lack of the euphoria that comes along with pushing the submit button on a new app?  Maybe I will have to live thru the new posts and imagine it's me.

Although I accomplished what I needed from the advice on MyFico community members in a very short period of time, now that I have I feel a little lost.

Any ideas? What's next? How many roses can I stop and smell?

2 things you can do:

1. carefully manage existing accounts, keeping track of upcoming statement dates, balances, soft pull CLI opportunities, etc

2. if you see some great opportunity for a new card, investigate to see if it's really good, and if so keep a record of the information instead of acting on it; that way you won't feel you're losing the info if you don't click

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.