Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Could Use Advise

tag
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Re: I Could Use Advise

Kudos OP!! As they used to always say, knowledge is power!

First off, welcome to the Community! Smiley Very Happy

I agree with others here that diversifying your portfolio is key to maximizing your CS. I would go for some type of  installment loan and maybe a couple more CCs. From what I've read they generally want more than 10 accounts for maximum scoring purposes, and as many as 21 is believed to be best. I added 5 accounts, bringing my total to about 14, and my scores went up drastically. I also agree with the poster about filing a complaint with the CFPB against both the CA and EX for the old student loan debt. They generally work very quickly and can get things cleared short and sweet. You'll be surprised what removal of one CO can due to your score. I had one removed recently and my scores shot up 40t points.

To get you started:

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 11 of 25
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for a Citi Double Cash card and was denied. Haven't received the letter as to why yet. They pulled Experian, and then Equifax. I know that the Experian with that 1987 Student Loan was the reason for denial, I'll bet. Equifax score is 697, and Experian is 639!

I didn't call the recon line either. Just took the hit, and moved to the Chase Slate which was instanstly approved for 2500, 25 minutes later. Go figure. But I do have a Chase Freedom with $165 balance and PIF for 5 months.

The longer installment loan sounds like the way to go. Your explanation makes it a good credit score move.

Citi likes to pull two CR generally, and for me it was EX and EQ. With your EX CR frozen, that's probably the reason for the denial. I would definitely recon this denial, and suspect you'll have pretty good chances. You only have 30 days before your CR is deleted from their network, so I would work fast. You took one HP for it, so why not fight for it? And as I said, I think your chance of reversing the denial is good.

Message 12 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I disputed the item with Experian, who claims that a Collection Agency called "Windham" reported the item on Oct 2012. They refused to remove the item stating that Student Loans have no expiration period, and that since a legitimate agency reported it in 2012, that it will remain on file until Feb 2020!

Not sure who waits 25 years to attempt to claim a $671 amount, but seems all that I have researched says that there's not a damn thing I can do about it, but either pay or wait. So, since everyone and their mom in banking and credit pulls from Experian for some reason, I just put a Security Freeze on Experian, and now nobody can pull them.

Windham is the premier collection agency for the Department of Education. So, they are legit. Just the timing seems very strange.

I've researched Windham quite a bit, and with "Private Student Loans" they will work with you and accept much less than owed. But, when it comes to "Federal Student Loans", it is well known that they (by orders of their bosses the FEDS?) won't take a dime less than what's owed. The one thing I could do since they will not work with Federal Student Loan clients, is to file in court and ask the judge for a Slo-Pay Order and send them $5 a month. If the court orders that judgement, they are ordered by the court to remove the item from all CRA's. But, I have no intention to do that. Even though the item has been disputed, and I have received validation of the debt, and Experian has refused the removal, I have never so much as received a phone call from Windham. Funny! You'd think that if a CA puts a debt on your report, that they'd call you about it, but nothing but crickets.

I've had no issues getting the cards I want, so since I have no intention of obtaining any more credit for at least a year or more, I'll see where it goes.

Thank you for repsonding.

No letter from collection agency is an FDCPA violation.  Why not pay the 671?  To the school.  I would contact an attorney, if they have not made attempts to collect.  With persistence, you can get that off in three months.  By initiating BBB complaints and cfpb complaints, you will likely get it gone (especially if you pay).  If they really wanted, they can garnish anything, I have been through this.  Since they are not going through these steps, I will give you a little experience. 

The loan was from 1978, 500.  In the 1990's I called the school.  Since student loans had risen so much, they decided to close the account.  I am pretty sure you can get this off.  When they close, they also take it off credit reports.  If they don't, claim it is beyond the reporting time period.  Much more research for you to do.  Experian will and has faced fines for not being thorough in researching disputes.  Take all this info, and start googling.

Signature needs updating
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with Citi Recon. The girl told me that the reason for the denial was that I just don't have enough time in my credit history yet. She said everything else was ok, and nothing derogatory was in my Equifax report. She said they pulled Equifax. She said just let some time go by, and apply again in May, and she said there shouldn't be issue with them approving at that time, should everything be the same.

She was very nice and took time to look at the app and report, but the time was something the system will not allow her to over-ride at this time.

I'll wait until 2017 to apply for anything else.

Message 14 of 25
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got off the phone with Citi Recon. The girl told me that the reason for the denial was that I just don't have enough time in my credit history yet. She said everything else was ok, and nothing derogatory was in my Equifax report. She said they pulled Equifax. She said just let some time go by, and apply again in May, and she said there shouldn't be issue with them approving at that time, should everything be the same.

She was very nice and took time to look at the app and report, but the time was something the system will not allow her to over-ride at this time.

I'll wait until 2017 to apply for anything else.

Given that's the only reason, I would contact the EO's office and see what they can do. You have almost a year's worth of history.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I do that? I can't find the number to call. Would you know?

Message 16 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is more looking for affirmation that I'm on the right track, and doing the right thing(s).

I had terrible credit a year ago. There was a Federal Tax Lien from 1995 for $13,000, (4) different collecton accounts - all medical related, (1) Public Record (tax lien), and that was about it.

I started by seeing  what I could do about  the FTL first. By reseacrhing tax code, I found out that according to IRC 6502 and IRC 6502(a) that as long I did not enter into any "Offer in Compromise", "Installment Payment Agreement" or any other agreement with the IRS, that they only have 10 years to collect that tax debt once assessed in their system. So, I wrote a letter to the IRS stating their IRC 6502 & IRC 6502(a) wording, and their response couldn't have been more surprising. The IRS verified that what I had written was 100% correct. After, a request for a Removal of Federal Tax Lien was sent to them, I got a notice back stating that I owed $0, and that the FTL was no longer valid and was automatically withdrawn. Wow, was I shocked to learn that. Knowledge is power.

I took the IRS Notice of Release/Withdrawl of Federal Tax Lien to the County Couthouse in my city, and went ot the Clerk's Office, showed them my documentation, and they removed the notice from their Public Record system. This whole process took about 2-3 months of calls, writing letters, and going to the courthouse.

Then, I tackled the Collection Accounts. 2 were from the same Collection Agency, so I called them. The guy on the phone (Michael) was as nice and professional as could be (they were an attorney firm), and I explained my credit situtation and my financial situation. The total for 2 bills they had for me was only $463. I was shocked when he said that they would settle the debt for $165! To be up front, I live on a very small private pension, and there isn't much more to get out of me. He said that once they had the money, they would take the item(s) off my credit report. I sent them a Money Order, and about a week later, the items were removed. Again, was I shocked and happy. I called hiim back and thanked him for keeping his word.

That left the other 2. Had a bit harder time with these. So, I found out about the SOL in my State in regards to Medical Bills. That SOL in my State is 3 years. I then investigated the authenticity of the Colection Aggency itself, and found that they had numerous complaints and unscupulous practices. So, I disputed with the CRA's on those premises and  that they were not allowed to collect these accounts. Just thought it might work. Well, it did. They removed them.

That cleaned my report up. Here's where I could use advise or affirmnation or what to do next:

In Januaury 2015, I applied for a Secured Capital One Platinum Card, was approved and I put a $300 deposit. In April, I applied for a Chase Freedom Card, and was instantly approved for $1200. In May, I applied for a Discover It Card, and was instantly approved for $1250.

In August 2015 Capital One gave me an automatic CLI of $300 on my Secured Card for a CL of $600. On November 6, 2015, I went on-line to Discover It and asked for a CLI. They did a SP and gave me a $1000 CLI for a CL of $2250.  On November 25, I appplied for a Chase Slate Card and was instantly approved for $2500. Same day I applied for a Capital One Quicksilver Master Card, and they said "need further investigation". So, I called the Recon number, and they said that since I put a Credit Freeze on Experian (due to another unscruplous collection agency trying to collect on a 1987 Student Loan Balance of $671!, and Experian will not remove that item, so I froze Experian from being pulled), that they needed me to verify my Driver License, Social Security Card, and my Bank Statement, which I immediately faxed over to them. The representative said that once my verification gets into the system, that it will be 24-48 hours before (his words - it shows up in my account). I took that as if they were going to approve me, but we will have to wait and see. I called bacl today to verify they received my fax, and was told it could take up to 3 weeks to get into the system. And, they said they were extremely busy with the holidays.

So, that's the extent of my currenct credit building/chasing venture. As it stands today, my Transunion Score is 737- they use a Vantage Score Now, my Equifax Score is 697, and my Experian Score is 639* due to that 1987 Student Loan that they refuse to remove. Other than that Student loan, there is nothing but good on my report(s).

My plan from here today on, is to Garden, untli January 2018.

Captial One Secure Card Balance: $16

Chase Freedom Card Balance: $165

Discover It Card Balance: $286 (just paid my car insurance in full. Due to better credit my premium went from $418 down to $286 for 6 months!)

Chase Slate Balance: $0

And if approved for Capital One Quicksilver Balance: $0

So, from you folk's experience and knowledge, am I on the right track? Is my Gardening plan correct and efficient? I know I have too many inquiries now, but had to do that to get the cards and rebuild the credit. Thus, why no more pulls for 2 years, at minimum. For Inquiry sake: TU 6, EQ 7, EX 8.

Thank you all ahead to time for your repsonses. I tried to include all information to get nformed  advise. Thanks again!

Smiley Happy

I think you've done some great things, but may be operating under a misconception about your credit report.

Even when a lien is satisfied, or released, it may still show up on your report for a long long time.

You're right to 'garden'. You have enough credit cards for now. As to  how long to garden, probably a year. And then longer if you don't need any more cards.

I would suggest hiring Lexington Law; they will help to get negative things actually removed from your credit reports.

As to your present credit cards, my advice is to pay them down to zero, or to very low balances, even prior to the statement cuts. And do that every month.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

No the gardening plan is not right for you with a 737 score.

You should have lots and lots of usage on your credit and do PIF ? just leaving less than 10% balances do not give you CLI's. I learned it the hard way

Secondly, why not have Airline/Barclay/Cards? citi/barclays/ GM BuyPower and have usage and PIF. not ever recommending carrying a balance. but today is when you have all the cards while the credit score remains in the 700's and PIF.

This is no time to be in the garden. You aint seen nothing yet

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason I don't have more cards is the simple fact that, as I've been told by Citi Recon and Barclay's is that my length of history is less than a year. Whether that is incorrect, wrong, or misleading it's what I was told when I asked for reconsideration. They said everyting else looked fine, and I was on course. Citi specifically told me to re-apply in May and that they would have no problem approving me, pending that things were still as they are today.

The other reason is that I get a Private Pension and it's not that much, so my reported income isn't as much as I make. Being a musician I get paid a lot in cash. There's no way to prove that income, and it reduces my financial report, so to speak.

Things are going very well. In only 10 months, I've went from no cards and a 520 credit score, to 5 cards and an over 700 score.

The inquiries are building now, and that's why I was thinking of laying low for the time being.

Thanks for your response, and currecntly I do have on the stove a American Express (IBlue Everyday) app, who didn't deny me but says "pending". So who knows?

Also, Capital One Quicksilver had me fax over my DL/SS/Bank Statement (for address not financials), and said it may take 3 weeks to get everything in the system, so I may have 2 more approvals.  I plan to call Citi EO and since I took the hit, I;m gonna go to bat to defend my short history to get an approval.

Yeah, I do see what you mean by "you ain;t seen nothing yet".

Have to love the great advise and comments, I may not agree with all of them, but I'm still greatful for the insight and knowledge of everyone on the site.

Message 19 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Forgot. Did you unfreeze exp? Amex is exp only puller. If you did not unfreeze, it's a no go.
Signature needs updating
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.