Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I DID IT....I fired First Premier!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I DID IT....I fired First Premier!

and just in time to use my fancy new shredder with a special little slot just for credit card shredding!
I had stated before that I was going to keep it for the history, since it is my oldest card, but heck, I just don't want this crapper card anymore. I feel like it is making my prime cards look bad! Hehe.

They have waived my annual fee in the past, or maybe...I just am not rememberly completely accurately, they did what they offered today, which was to reduce my annual fee down to $3.  What the point is of charging an AF when it's only 3 bucks, is beyond me, but I turned them down. I 90 days to change my mind and reopen the card, and 30 days to reopen and still take them up on their $3 AF offer.  Yeah, that's not happening. I've probably held this account open longer than any of their other customers!

So long First Premier. Thanks for being there when I needed you..even if my starting CL was $250 with $178 in fees. Smiley Very Happy

I wonder how happy Discover, Chase and BofA will be not sharing my wallet with this yucky card any longer. (Well actually I had taken it out, but still!).

Is there any truth to the rumor that shutting down a crap card, might help boost your score? That would be nice.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 08-13-2008 02:59 PM
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Re: I DID IT....I fired First Premier!

Always a great feeling to see a sub-prime CC fade in the rearview mirror! You won't miss that one at all. I am so glad I never had to resort an outfit like First Premier. (Just Providian!)
Message 2 of 17
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Awesome! Congrats on ditching FP!

Wouldn't it be great if Chase and Discover softed your CR to see you closed FP and lowered your interest rate?
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you! Kick it to the curb! My Orchard is on the chopping block and I can't wait to drop the ax. Let us know if you see a score boost, will ya? Congrats again!
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man, that must have felt GOOOOD.  Hmmm, I wonder if now is the time for me to get rid of First Premier, too.  I was going to wait until Feb. 09, just before the AF hits in March.  Here's what I currently have:

First Premier           $300CL - opened 2007
Household               $800CL - opened 2003
Hooters                    $500CL - opened 2008
CapOne                   $1000CL (recently combined 2 cards - oldest card opened 2007)
Walmart                   $350 - opened 2006
Target                      $200CL - opened 2006
Dillards                    $850CL - opened 2007
Amer. Eagle/GEMB $250CL - opened last week (don't even have the card yet)
JCPenney/GEMB    $150CL - opened last week (just got the card yesterday)

I don't have any prime cards yet...though I was pre-approved for a BOA secured which I plan to open this month.  Thoughts?  Is it time to tell FP "You're Fired!!"???
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

FretlessMayhem wrote:
Awesome! Congrats on ditching FP!

Wouldn't it be great if Chase and Discover softed your CR to see you closed FP and lowered your interest rate?

That would be sweet!!!
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could probably fire mine as well, but I plan to keep it for now.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, first premier was a stepping stone. At the time I didn't have any revolving credit. Which was really stupid on my part, I had an ex that screwed up my credit and I thought it was the end of the world, so I never applied for anything since I thought I was doomed for life. Looking back, it really wasn't as bad as it could have been and I should have opened some accounts, before all my positive history rolled off... So I got the first premier because I had googled cards for people with bad credit. I probably could have done orchard and the likes without every needing first premier, but back then I didn't know any better. Anyhoo...point being, since I've learned so much since then, in my opinion you don't need First Premier at all. You already have several open accounts. I wanted them so that I could establish history again, which I did, and in the end it all worked out great, but in your case, I say ditch them before the AF hits again for sure and take BofA up on that secured card! Then just sit and wait for a little bit to let the rest age.

soccermomof4 wrote:
Man, that must have felt GOOOOD.  Hmmm, I wonder if now is the time for me to get rid of First Premier, too.  I was going to wait until Feb. 09, just before the AF hits in March.  Here's what I currently have:

First Premier           $300CL - opened 2007
Household               $800CL - opened 2003
Hooters                    $500CL - opened 2008
CapOne                   $1000CL (recently combined 2 cards - oldest card opened 2007)
Walmart                   $350 - opened 2006
Target                      $200CL - opened 2006
Dillards                    $850CL - opened 2007
Amer. Eagle/GEMB $250CL - opened last week (don't even have the card yet)
JCPenney/GEMB    $150CL - opened last week (just got the card yesterday)

I don't have any prime cards yet...though I was pre-approved for a BOA secured which I plan to open this month.  Thoughts?  Is it time to tell FP "You're Fired!!"???

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you! I am in the waiting process to cancel Capital One and Target!

Capital One waived the annual fee and added to the low credit line....so it gets to stay for awhile. But I am really ready to give Target the boot. No biggie on history because I applied for everything w/i two years. So in 10 years it won't matter too much.

Or I tell myself that!
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice!  Ahhhh, I love the smell of shredding plastic in the morning.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.