Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Didn't Mean to Churn, Yet it Happened

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I Didn't Mean to Churn, Yet it Happened

I think describing in detail is what is "frowned upon", but in general churning isnt all bad even though its dying just like every credit report "manipulation" technique, like how I have a 17yr AAoA due to 39yr AX backdate. Lol.
Message 11 of 199
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Churning is not allowed to be discussed on this board.  If you don't have any need for the card and just looking for bonuses, this isn't the best place for such a discussion.  Churning is not all that as companies are catching on.  You are likely threading dangerously closing and opening accounts just for bonuses.

I haven't heard that before!   What is the real difference between say, the hundreds of posts of "When will Freedom offer $200 again?" and churning, in both cases the bonus is obviously a huge part of the reason for getting the card.   Or going for a card merely because of the high starting limit?

The posts asking when the likely sign up bonus will be available is only about when to open a relationship with a CCC, to get a particular card with the best benefits.

The posts sharing information about large CL being granted are similarly sharing information about which new cards are beneficial to get.

Discussions about whether to close a card are after the cardholder has a chance to learn more about the card, and may want to decide whether to continue with the AF or not.

Churning is a different set of combined intentions altogether.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

So unless it involves store card 5 figure CLIs it's disallowed. Got it. 👌
Message 13 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Churning is not allowed to be discussed on this board.  If you don't have any need for the card and just looking for bonuses, this isn't the best place for such a discussion.  Churning is not all that as companies are catching on.  You are likely threading dangerously closing and opening accounts just for bonuses.

I haven't heard that before!   What is the real difference between say, the hundreds of posts of "When will Freedom offer $200 again?" and churning, in both cases the bonus is obviously a huge part of the reason for getting the card.   Or going for a card merely because of the high starting limit?

@longtimelurker,

I am not going to turn this into an argument. I think we all know the intention here just like the other threads - can I get the freedom offer for $200 again.  You will come to realize that such threads often tend to be locked and moved.

Why is OP looking to apply for a new card?

Message 14 of 199
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The posts asking when the likely sign up bonus will be available is only about when to open a relationship with a CCC, to get a particular card with the best benefits.

The posts sharing information about large CL being granted are similarly sharing information about which new cards are beneficial to get.

Discussions about whether to close a card are after the cardholder has a chance to learn more about the card, and may want to decide whether to continue with the AF or not.

Churning is a different set of combined intentions altogether.

Um, yes, that's right!  .

Message 15 of 199
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And these days Chase is starting to make Barclays look like Capital One in comparison (not that I have a problem with that.)

Chase has always been a somewhat conservative lender, that's growing with their 5-card limit, not just of theirs, but 5 cards from ANY lender.  The only OTHER card I really want from them is the Sapphire Preferred.  That and a few AMEX would complete my card acquisitiions indefinitely. 

Can you please share more about this?

Message 16 of 199
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Lets keep this discussion on the OPs question and not go off on a tangent. I thank you for your cooperation in advance  Smiley Happy

Adding: What is taboo in regards to churning is the advocation of such practices. What usually happens in a churning thread is it turns into an advocation of MS and that is the big taboo on myFico. So be sure to maintain your discussions keeping in mind where the line is.

Message 17 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP can close cards or voluntarily reduce limits by secure message/call to create breathing room for a new account.
Message 18 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And these days Chase is starting to make Barclays look like Capital One in comparison (not that I have a problem with that.)

Chase has always been a somewhat conservative lender, that's growing with their 5-card limit, not just of theirs, but 5 cards from ANY lender.  The only OTHER card I really want from them is the Sapphire Preferred.  That and a few AMEX would complete my card acquisitiions indefinitely. 

I would say do a search here, since there are threads all over the place in regards to that.  You have a limit of applying for 5 cards TOTAL (not just chase cards) in a 24 month period. 

Message 19 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say do a search here, since there are threads all over the place in regards to that.  You have a limit of applying for 5 cards TOTAL (not just chase cards) in a 24 month period. 

That is not at all true.  My credit card history is not 24 years old at this point, however I have 10 total cards approved in that time frame which the LAST TWO were from Chase.

Sure, other than Synchrony, the only bank that I have applied for multiple cards is Chase, but my point is a "total of 5 cards max from all lenders" is not at all on their radar.

Message 20 of 199
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.