Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Didn't Mean to Churn, Yet it Happened

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: I Didn't Mean to Churn, Yet it Happened

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:
My question is how long before you close a credit card lets say Marriott VISA Signature you have gotten the bonus and you continue to use the account and for some reason or the other you close it, since you where a previous cardholder the bonus won't apply to you right?

What? I'm not trying to be mean, but run on sentences are really hard to read.

Are you asking if closing one card nullifies your eligibility to earn the bonus on a different card?

Message 61 of 199
red259
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Provide these facts please. Not your guess or assumption but actual official statements from lenders about how they took an action due solely to churning that impacted someone other than the churner. 

Lol, really? This forum is FULL of posts that try to guess behaviors of financial institutions and their predictive factors. Like, how to get a CLI, how much spend to put through a card to get it, even how often to spend and how often a certain institution gives out SP CLIs. I have never seen anyone ask for written, official documentation to prove any of those guesses. Heck this forum is even full of posts that try to guess  the likelihood of potential adverse action such as CLD or Financial Review. So I'm not buying that suddenly there's a different standard of discussion when it comes to the potential adverse effects of churning on a product.

That is the whole point of my response. People state this is a fact when its not anymore of a fact than the things you mentioned and it is just speculation or best guesses. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 62 of 199
red259
Super Contributor

My question is how long before you close a credit card, lets say Marriott VISA Signature you have gotten the bonus and you continue to use the account and for some reason or the other you close it, since you where a previous cardholder the bonus won't apply to you if you decide to apply for the same product after 1 or 2 years of closing the account right?

Check the current chase rules, but I think if its been more than 24 months since you got the bonus you are eligible. It should say on the credit card app what the rules are when it comes to that if not look at the terms before applying for specifics. 

;
Message 63 of 199
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

My question is how long before you close a credit card, lets say Marriott VISA Signature you have gotten the bonus and you continue to use the account and for some reason or the other you close it, since you where a previous cardholder the bonus won't apply to you if you decide to apply for the same product after 1 or 2 years of closing the account right?

Check the current chase rules, but I think if its been more than 24 months since you got the bonus you are eligible. It should say on the credit card app what the rules are when it comes to that if not look at the terms before applying for specifics. 

Okay thanks Red.
Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 64 of 199
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

ok all, lets return to the question at hand this thread is way off topic. Here is what the OP wants to know so lets confine ourselves to getting him that information. I thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Have a great day  Smiley Happy

"Barclay is a strange bird. My Ring is now $20,000 and Frontier is $17,500. The Bank told me I have reached the internal limit and new products will not be approved. Should I close an account and apply for another?  I got high credit lines by combining products."

Message 65 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close the account, wait a little time and then apply. Or, if you apply and are declined, call and ask to move limits around to get it opened.
Message 66 of 199
red259
Super Contributor

If you want to use or keep the cards you can also ask for a decreased credit line as well. I'm not sure how barclays is with moving lines around in order to get a new card approved. If it turns out they are easy going with that and won't deny you outright but will instead move lines to get you a new card then I would just do that. 

;
Message 67 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can lower your credit limit in advance to call recon and offer to move lines around. That's usually how you handle apps once you've met a particular bank's maximum overall credit they will extend you. Same process for most other banks as well.

Message 68 of 199
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclaycard has been lenient about it for me even with a boatload of new accounts over the years.
Message 69 of 199
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, LTL. I don't think there is much that can/or should be done to curtail any "churning". Highly individualistic.. where does it start? Where does it end? I think it's going to end up being like the MS -- no advocation/how to guides.. lol To be clear, no talk at all of churning has ever been said previously. I think it was just a misunderstanding or meaning well kind of thing.

I will say to everyone that admin is talking about this issue and we'll have a verdict soon. In the mean time, let's just treat the conversation like that of MS and just not get too heated, too detailed, and encourage whatever "it" is. lol

My personal opinion is different (of course) than that of myFico. Have to enforce whatever the rule is. I think bonuses are there to be used, period. Your risk is entirely up to you. I don't get into your business, you don't get into mine -- unless I want to involve you. Smiley Very Happy Oh well, life isn't like that, though is it, sometimes?!

Edit: I hate when I'm reading the forum and then I make a post and it's COMPLETELY out of the time in which the post I was referring to was. Smiley Sad Oh well. That's my brain. What can I do? Robot Indifferent

Message 70 of 199
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.