Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE BALANCES.....Anyone else?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: I HATE BALANCES.....Anyone else?

I don’t think it’s all that uncommon to think of debt as something that doesn’t take place until just after the time of the month when you usually make your payment. If you pay the monthly balance by the due date, maybe it doesn't really figure as debt because it is paid when due. I like to pay off charges before they turn into the monthly balance, and because the monthly statement is posted by the end of the billing cycle, that is when it becomes debt to me.

Message 41 of 47
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

I'm not allergic to balances, but at the same time I've never paid any interest on any of my CCs. I read a lot about how people here hate carrying balances even during 0% APR promo periods, and that's something that never made sense to me. I absolutely love those promos because I can put a large purchase on it and pay it off at a rate that suits me; I have many other cards to do my daily transactions on, so I never would get caught up with making a purchase on the card while I have that balance outstanding. Yes, it's bad for your score to report balances in general but hey, I'm in a place where a drop doesn't kill me.

Not to sound disrespectful, but it's all about not being stupid - remember a ballpark number of where your balance is and when the 0% period ends, and see whether it's wise for you to add on to that or not. Figure out how much you owe across all your cards, and when their dates are, and whether you can afford to keep on purchasing at the rate you are. Man up (just a phrase, not to offend anybody) and cut down if you need to, even if there's a huge lifestyle change that goes along with this. It's about being responsible.

Sorry for the rant, but it was just my 2 cents.

Message 42 of 47
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Okay, I'll play...I am now, and always have been a creature of habit. Bad credit habits led to 2 bankruptcies, and a life spiralling out of control. I finally realized that I had an addictive personality, and probably always will. I quit trying to change that, and learned to re-focus the addiction in the opposite direction, so I started paying my balances as soon as they posted over and over again until it totally became a habit. I now have a hard time allowing a balance to even be on an account for a week, but sometimes I do just because there are some pending charges I will be waiting for to post. I actually wish cards would allow you to go ahead and pay the pending charges. So for some people, the use of 0% interest offers makes total sense, for others, like me, it would be dangerous to even try to take advantage of that. I've already learned that my habits can be redirected, and life is better with 800+ fico scores, and zero balances vs begging for CLI because I actually need it.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 43 of 47
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Chase lets you pay toward pending charges.

And CapOne lets you do it indirectly. They'll accept 10% over your current balance. Of course, for the 10% to be a meaningful amount, you may have to let your balance pile up for a couple of weeks or maybe even most of the month. Between overpaying and redeeming rewards, I plan to cover an auto-paid bill that's likely to hit my account right before the statement cuts. Normally, that bill comes in about three days before the statement cutoff, but this month, it's going to post late due to a weekend.

Message 44 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am one of those ones who hate to have balances report, other than a small balance on one card for Fico scoring purposes. I got this way because I did go through BK7 three years ago. This was due to job loss and I only had four credit cards. But, they were charged up and I could not pay. I vowed never to be in that position again. So, I decided I would never be in that position. I didn't apply for my first credi card until 26 months after my BK7 was discharged. So, I lived off cash and debit cards that entire time. I became accustomed to paying immediately. So, I treat my credit cards as debit cards. For me its a self-discipline thing and making sure I never find myself in that position again. 

Message 45 of 47
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

Okay, I'll play...I am now, and always have been a creature of habit. Bad credit habits led to 2 bankruptcies, and a life spiralling out of control. I finally realized that I had an addictive personality, and probably always will. I quit trying to change that, and learned to re-focus the addiction in the opposite direction, so I started paying my balances as soon as they posted over and over again until it totally became a habit. I now have a hard time allowing a balance to even be on an account for a week, but sometimes I do just because there are some pending charges I will be waiting for to post. I actually wish cards would allow you to go ahead and pay the pending charges. So for some people, the use of 0% interest offers makes total sense, for others, like me, it would be dangerous to even try to take advantage of that. I've already learned that my habits can be redirected, and life is better with 800+ fico scores, and zero balances vs begging for CLI because I actually need it.

Congrats, Sarge!  One we know our limitations, financial decisions become much easier and we sleep better. Keep up the good work!

Personally, I've never paid a bill before I was billed. Sometimes that's close to 60 days from purchase. To each his/her own. Smiley Happy 

Message 46 of 47
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

Congrats, Sarge!  One we know our limitations, financial decisions become much easier and we sleep better. Keep up the good work!

Personally, I've never paid a bill before I was billed. Sometimes that's close to 60 days from purchase. To each his/her own. Smiley Happy 

That statement is the crux of what all should realise....there is more than 1 right way to handle ones credit....what works well for me, may be totally unnecessary for others...as long as the bills get paid on time, both ways work!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.