tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I HATE BANK OF AMERICA

@RyVision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

and in 2008 your kind was the one BoA went straight to the jugular on. People with great credit ratings who had high cap credit card accounts who kept utilization low. You didn't make them the money they intended you to make them so in order to round up backing dollars during the crash they took people like you, by the tens of thousands, without a word, and cut their credit limits to just dollars above there balances and without a clue, your credit scores tanks for high credit utilization. They didn't say a word. It was disastrous to the most credit worthy of people. BoA and AMX were the two worst for taking this kind of action to save their criminal arses because they did some of the most selfish crap out there during the bubble upswing . I still wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit them. And I didn't have BoA or AMX accounts when all this happened. I'm sorry but it still makes me furious when I think about it.

CREDIT UNIONS!!!!!

+ 1000

My mother went through that stage (Chase pulled it too a much lesser extent than BoA however, but they raised rates unless you agreed to close to lock your current one in).  Her scores "tanked" from 804\815 range to the 720 area ("tanked" is relative here lol,  most would say she held well due to having a wide span of open credit that didn't pull the same tricks).

We recently learned BoA hasn't forgotten all their old tricks.

I hope I can join the 800 club soon! I went from 769 to 700. I consider it tanked as well. Technically went from "Excellent Credit" to merely "Good Credit" and a "Very Low" risk to "Low Risk" 

Oh, here's a good one...a CSR I last spoke with told me that my account was closed "by the credit bureau" and they can't reopen the account. Uhhhh.....credit bureaus don't make decisions! Lenders do! 

And to top off this menial nightmare, HSBC just closed my BestBuy Store card ($1100CL) and my RZMC ($400) - for pretty much the same reason Bank of America did.

(1) TOO MANY ACCOUNTS RECENTLY OPENED
(2) TOO MANY RECENT INQUIRIES IN LAST 12 MONTHS

This bugs me but not as much since it was unsecured credit. But honestly, such silly reasons for closure! These are perfectly good reasons on a denial letter....but not for account closure. At least in my opinion. Plus why does HSBC even care??? Another bank (cap1) is taking over the debt! I suppose just like BAC they're cleaning house.

I am scared now about my other cards being closed Smiley Sad - does anyone have suggestions on how I can possibly ensure my other cards stay a-ok?

First, do not apply for anything more for at least 6 months. Garden what you have now with a lot of care.   (You'll no doubt see my post with the potted plant and trowel elsewhere, I saw this after I wrote that).

You're in a bit of a tough spot right now Smiley Sad  A lot of inq's, youngish, some AA by lenders. I don't know if you have any lates (I hope not, it helps if you don't) but don't allow any to happen. PIF if you can with maybe 5% showing on one account (including all accounts open or closed) if at all possible.  Most important is to avoid any lates or other derogs as well as any more INQ's for at least 6 months minimum. 

My past experience (if you're bored):

Just before the credit crash (I think late 2006 early 2007), all the accounts I had cancelled long before fell off my report. I ended up pulling a report just before that because I got a new cell phone (different co.) and the woman looked surprised when I asked "well, did they approve me for a phone" and sort of chuckled. She responded "yes, actually they approved you for 5 lines unlimited" with a rather wide eyed look....  I asked her "um is that good?" to which she replied "well, I've never seen it before, you must have really great credit"....

So being curious I went and pulled MyFico and it came back with an EQ of 840........  That sort of surprised me, I had checked my parents and theirs was actually a bit less (about shocked me). I had read something saying you had to check your FICO score to be sure it was correct and used by lenders (I couldn't find a FICO CB, just eq, tu and ex, I finally figured it out).

THEN... the accounts fell off, an erroneous CA jumped on, I found out because I thought I might have to consider getting cards again because of the credit bubble in the news (before it hit). My score had nose dived to around 548 or something........   I got a couple HORRIBLE offers in the mail and pitched them, I had no idea what to do about a bill in collections that wasn't even mine. In late 2007 my parents added me as an AU on a Chase Sig (only it and my old closed AMEX were now reporting as well as the CA).

Then in  2008 BoA sent me a pre-approved offer for a half decent card so I took it even though I didn't trust them, turned out it wasn't even the one they offered, but a lesser one with an AF, starting CL 500$.  I had tried for some other cards but been denied (I wasn't used to that many years before). I couldn't get any cards I tried for after that and soon I found out I had 19 inqs on EQ (I think eq), my score had stayed just under 600.  Then I finally got a Kohls in 09, which surprised me, it was backed by Chase (ah, the AU card maybe), then Walmart store. No prime offers or approvals for a while... Then Cap 1 knocked on my mailbox.....  ok, sure, why not, better than some of the offers I had gotten, 500 to start....  Was able to get BB Store Dec 2010 Plan A 900 (by that time seemed like a big improvement lol).  Then Cap 1 sent another card offer, again, with the CA still showing, eh, why not LOL...  Also Credit One (oops, thought it was a Cap 1). By that time I was so used to hearing how bad the credit market had tightend up I figured you had to take what you could get.

Also tried for Chase and Discover along with AMEX in spring 2011, no go Smiley Frustrated  Then read that if all else fails for a CA that's not yours to contact your state attorney general. I did, the CA was gone within a week. Then the fall of 2011 scores hit 699-712 (EX MUCH lower) and get: AMEX, Discover More, NFCU (twice, 1 ind, 1 joint). Plus having several AU's going that I'm paying for what I use. 

And that's some of my past CC experience LOL.

And I can tell you that INQ's are a red flag to a lot of lenders (not all mind you, it also depends on the rest of the file, the file has to be taken as a whole).  New accounts freak out some lenders, high UTIL as well (my prob now for scores due to 0% offers with AU and my own cards). My scores are in the "Fair" to "good" range but I have a rather thick file and perfect payment history (with large payments on record somewhat frequently).  Also AMEX gave me a small bit of my old history back when they backdated my card to 1989! (Helped).

Hope that wasn't TMI, if you got this far, you probably deserve a beer Smiley LOL

P.S. I think I started really reading MyFico forums around mid 2010, hard to remember, I only skimmed them before, infrequently, not being really sure what to look for or where.

[EDIT]:  Others posted while I typed LOL. I'm not as quick as I used to be, oops. They gave some similar advice though.  If I read right, you're 21 and now have 22 cards.  You really would benefit from gardening for a while, you have some great cards, that if most of them stick with you will grow with you (banks almost expect someone your age to run them up and run away if you're wondering, it takes time but show them that's not the case with you). If you add any more INQ's you'll more than likely get bad news.  Rome wasn't built in a day, good credit scores and history with a thick file takes time too, it's main ingredient is time.

Thanks for the tips Smiley Happy - I will definitely quit applying for quite some time. I'll maintain and hopefully keep what I have. What does AA stand for? Account Analysis? I wonder if theres a guide to all the acronyms used here.

I have no lates or baddies whatsoever. I know that less than a month late doesn't get reported, but I've actually *never* been a day late on any of my cards. My cell phone, well that's a different story. lol. As far as paying in full, well thats kinda hard. Not a whole lot coming in. While I do have enough to pay everything and still be left with a nice chunk left over, I'd like to have a good solid foundation instead. I have around $3500 in debt that I can eliminate by the end of spring. I know paying interest is dumb, but I'm honestly more likely to pay the banks back than "pay myself back" and replenish savings.  Us humans are strange like that, I guess.

Wow, you've been through quite a bit. So unfair to have to "rebuild" when you've done nothing wrong. 840 to 548! for no reason! that really blows. People need to pay their bills on time. Their irresponsibility affects others!! Until changing our phone number/company we would get calls from collectors constantly just because the debtor in question had our last name...while it isn't Smith, it's not exactly uncommon either; it does comprise a couple pages in the phonebook.

I'm glad you were able to get rid of the false collection! I have no doubt you'll be able to get in the 800s again. I'm kinda scared what my fico is now. I have to wait until the TU score from Walmart gets updated next week.....nervous....

Message 51 of 62
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the tips Smiley Happy - I will definitely quit applying for quite some time. I'll maintain and hopefully keep what I have. What does AA stand for? Account Analysis? I wonder if theres a guide to all the acronyms used here.

I have no lates or baddies whatsoever. I know that less than a month late doesn't get reported, but I've actually *never* been a day late on any of my cards. My cell phone, well that's a different story. lol. As far as paying in full, well thats kinda hard. Not a whole lot coming in. While I do have enough to pay everything and still be left with a nice chunk left over, I'd like to have a good solid foundation instead. I have around $3500 in debt that I can eliminate by the end of spring. I know paying interest is dumb, but I'm honestly more likely to pay the banks back than "pay myself back" and replenish savings.  Us humans are strange like that, I guess.

Wow, you've been through quite a bit. So unfair to have to "rebuild" when you've done nothing wrong. 840 to 548! for no reason! that really blows. People need to pay their bills on time. Their irresponsibility affects others!! Until changing our phone number/company we would get calls from collectors constantly just because the debtor in question had our last name...while it isn't Smith, it's not exactly uncommon either; it does comprise a couple pages in the phonebook.

I'm glad you were able to get rid of the false collection! I have no doubt you'll be able to get in the 800s again. I'm kinda scared what my fico is now. I have to wait until the TU score from Walmart gets updated next week.....nervous....

I highly doubt I'll see the 800s for some time LOL.  The closer you get to 800, the steeper the climb (a long history helps immensely, I think most people with 800+ scores have around 10 + years history with thick near perfect files). I did do something wrong though without realizing it, i closed all of my accounts (HUGE mistake).

Your TU in the mid 700's is VERY good to Excellent btw. You'll see a dip when Walmart  updates TU however (new accounts etc, just so you're warned).

The best thing about your nervousness about your score is it will help remind you to not apply for a while,  the nice thing about it, being you have no lates etc,  is your score will bounce back over time with little problem and no new apps or accounts.

AA means Adverse Action btw (like a closure, CLD=credit line decrease).  There is a guide for the acronyms but I forget what it's called off hand.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 52 of 62
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ocboy, you'll probably be OK on your store cards.

WF saw all those cards and were presumably OK, but that's still no guarantee.

So as the others said (and you acknowledged), stop apping, keep everything paid off so that you won't get in a bind if something does get closed.

And next time that you go on an app spree, get something that's actually good for your overall credit and financial picture, as opposed to forty-'leven store cards. Smiley Wink

Good luck!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 53 of 62
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I hate them too. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 54 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lately????

BoA has not stopped having a solid stream of Bads for the last 6 years. They are absolute garbage.

Message 55 of 62
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Funny, I've been very happy with Bank of America - not only by way of credit, but also by way of deposit, investment, etc. Hell, I like them more than the bank I work for, from a customer perspective. In fact, they just issued me a new Merrill+ Visa Signature card, despite having the fact I have a $50,000 AmEx with them already. I expected a denial based on sufficient revolving credit available with FIA, or worse, for them to attack my existing card. But nope. I now have $75,000 in available credit with BAC/FIA.

However, I am part of their Wealth Management Banking Group/Merrill Lynch, and I know the CEO personally (not friends-level, but we know each other), so perhaps I'm getting special treatment. Not at all complaining, though. I'll take what I can get. 

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 56 of 62
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't sweat them. They're doing you a favor. 

Message 57 of 62
mindacid
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a [fully] secured card with Bank of America. $1,200 deposit. Got the card in August 2011. Always paid in full, never late, and actually had a negative aka credit balance at account closure of $24.00 - anyway, the card got declined at Jamba Juice and I later found out why:

Regarding your BankAmericard Platinum Plus VISA ending in: XXXX

Dear Andrew :

We take a proactive approach to reviewing our customers' accounts which includes an assessment of your account history, current economic trends and a copy of your credit report(s).

As a result of this review, we have closed your above referenced account effective as of this date on this letter because you have excessive requests for credit on your credit file and you currently have sufficient available credit. We will no longer authorize any further transactions or approve any pending access checks, balance transfers, or direct deposit requests. If the account has a balance, please continue to make at least the total minimum payment due on the account until the balance is paid in full.

Your credit score, a FICO score, used by us in taking the above action is 719, which was created on January 26, 2012 and provided by a credit reporting agency, Trans Union.

I don't know why Bank of America is so adamant about getting rid of me as a customer. They even reimbursed the $39 AF. I just got a check for $63.00 (my credit balance + AF)  and got my full $1200 security deposit back. They treat me like dirt on the phone and aren't willing to work with me. Now I have a closed account on my CR for no darn reason and my score just dropped 19 points. I can't believe my score is only 700 now. I was already upset to learn it was 719, since my highest ever was 769!  I see no reason to keep my checking/savings open with them anymore. I have $15,500 in available credit between all tradelines.

I opened a $1,000 secured Visa with BofA in 2008, which graduated in 2010 and subsequently got a CLI to $1,500.  I've had checking/savings with them for 21 years.  I have no lates and scores in the 720s.  I recently asked for a CLI and got  summarily shot down.  I wasn't expecting them to give me a CLI of thousands of dollars, but I figured worst case scenario they'd kick me up to $1,800.  Nope.  Nada.  I was already not too happy with them regarding the quality of their customer service for my checking and savings accounts, so I threw a tantrum, rolled down to my BofA branch, closed all my accounts and took my business to the local Citibank branch.   45 minutes later I had a checking and a savings account and had been approved for a Citi ThankYou World MC with a CL of $6,500.(my highest CL now, formerly it was my Chase Freedom at $5,000).  While they were opening my checking/savings account they told me the computer said I was preapproved for a credit card so I gave them permission to submit my app and was approved in-branch on the spot.

I will never look back and regret leaving BofA.

Message 58 of 62
labellamental

I hate BoA so much. However, it's my oldest account. I asked for an increase and not only got shot down, but demeaned and snickered at in the process. At that point I paid it off to a $0 balance and threw it in a drawer where it's been sitting ever since. I didn't close it because I didn't want it to hurt my score, but I'd rather go to Hades in a gasoline soaked thong than use their card. Sad but true.
~~~~~
TU-766 EX-735 EQ-810
Message 59 of 62
just_nisi_
Established Member

Bank of America confuses me. 

I had an AU account with them April 2011,

then after I bought my house in Aug 2011

they bought my loan.

Feb 22 Amex blue approved me for 10000k,

and chase freedon for 2k,

yet the same day BoA denied me.

I have no lates, no baddies,

and I pay my mortgage with them early

with almost 100% extra for the principle.

Bank of America confuses me.

Starting Score: no score
Current Score: 691-732
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 60 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.