Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Just Started My Journey

tag
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

I Just Started My Journey

Hello!
I'm on the road to stellar credit. I have no recent credit history. I had some major financial disasters about 10 years ago, and now I'm at square one. I did find out that I have a couple of negative items on my credit report that aren't mine - different social security and different residence. I found that out accidentally, by talking to a loan officer at my credit union today.

I just got two Mastercards - a Capital One ($200 limit with $49 deposit) and an unsecured Orchard Bank Platinum ($300 limit).  I called my credit union to get info as to why I hadn't received my quarterly credit report, and I was asked what I was looking to do with the info. It was suggested that I apply for a Visa and I was transferred to a loan officer, who pulled a report and found the three negatives (not huge amounts), with a different SS#, that don't belong to me. She's sending the dispute letters to me, and I'll forward them to Experian. She asked for my W-2, last two paystubs and verification of my SS#. I think I might have a serious chance of getting approved. She was interested in pursuing it, when I suggested that I not even bother. I got a $500 quick loan from them a few years ago, and it was paid back on time, in full. But they wouldn't  give me a Visa, so I wasn't thinking about trying to get a credit card from them.  I'm happy to get the two Mastercards, so I'm good either way.

However, I went in with a very humble attitude. I didn't act like they owed my anything, nor did I show any irritation with having to submit additional information. I'm going to garden the two (or three, if I get the credit union Visa) Mastercards for about a year and a half, with no new credit apps, and I hope to graduate to a prime card. I want a Chase...something.

Well, that's it. I just wanted to check in, and I didn't see an intro thread.

Thanks for reading!

Credit Rebuild Start Date (3/12)
Oakland County CU Visa ($500) | Capital One Quick Silver One ($600) | Capital One Secured MC ($200) | Walmart ($1600) | PayPal Credit ($1000) | Jared ($3500) | Victoria's Secret ($850) | Gettington ($3500) | Amazon Store Card ($850) | NewEgg Preferred ($2400) | Discover IT ($1500) | Dillard's AMEX ($1500) Target ($1500) | Overstock Store Card ($1200) | Kohl's ($1500) | Old Navy ($650) | Macy's Store Card ($800) | The Limited ($350)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: I Just Started My Journey

@CreditCardDiva wrote:

Hello!
I'm on the road to stellar credit. I have no recent credit history. I had some major financial disasters about 10 years ago, and now I'm at square one. I did find out that I have a couple of negative items on my credit report that aren't mine - different social security and different residence. I found that out accidentally, by talking to a loan officer at my credit union today.

I just got two Mastercards - a Capital One ($200 limit with $49 deposit) and an unsecured Orchard Bank Platinum ($300 limit).  I called my credit union to get info as to why I hadn't received my quarterly credit report, and I was asked what I was looking to do with the info. It was suggested that I apply for a Visa and I was transferred to a loan officer, who pulled a report and found the three negatives (not huge amounts), with a different SS#, that don't belong to me. She's sending the dispute letters to me, and I'll forward them to Experian. She asked for my W-2, last two paystubs and verification of my SS#. I think I might have a serious chance of getting approved. She was interested in pursuing it, when I suggested that I not even bother. I got a $500 quick loan from them a few years ago, and it was paid back on time, in full. But they wouldn't  give me a Visa, so I wasn't thinking about trying to get a credit card from them.  I'm happy to get the two Mastercards, so I'm good either way.

However, I went in with a very humble attitude. I didn't act like they owed my anything, nor did I show any irritation with having to submit additional information. I'm going to garden the two (or three, if I get the credit union Visa) Mastercards for about a year and a half, with no new credit apps, and I hope to graduate to a prime card. I want a Chase...something.

Well, that's it. I just wanted to check in, and I didn't see an intro thread.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forums

play your cards right (pun intended ), and you will have prime cards in a year or so. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 23
Jimmy9224
Contributor

Welcome! This forum is great to help to get you to your first prime, I started with a cap one secured and one year later (right now) I have a discover and Amex! Because of this forum helping me! Remember to pay on time and keep watch of your score and utilization Smiley Very Happy good luck on your way to building credit! Smiley Happy
My wallet : Amex Zync NPSL , Discover More $3500, BankAmericard Cash Rewards $1000, Walmart Discover $1400, Chase Freedom $1000, Capital one Platinum $1000, Macy's Store card $100, Amazon Store card $1400, Southwest rapid rewards $5000, Marriot Visa $5000. Barclay Apple $1200
Message 3 of 23
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the welcome, and the encouragement! Heart

Oakland County CU Visa ($500) | Capital One Quick Silver One ($600) | Capital One Secured MC ($200) | Walmart ($1600) | PayPal Credit ($1000) | Jared ($3500) | Victoria's Secret ($850) | Gettington ($3500) | Amazon Store Card ($850) | NewEgg Preferred ($2400) | Discover IT ($1500) | Dillard's AMEX ($1500) Target ($1500) | Overstock Store Card ($1200) | Kohl's ($1500) | Old Navy ($650) | Macy's Store Card ($800) | The Limited ($350)
Message 4 of 23
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Welcome and these forums have helped me like you would not believe!  It is so helpful to have this forum, and you will see be patient and great things will happen Smiley Happy.

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 5 of 23
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

There are many of us here who have been where you are. You've come to a place where you'll find yourself among friends. In additon, you'll also be able to find tons and tons of informative and helpful information. If you have any questions, you can search the forums to see if anyone has already asked something similar. If not, then you are always welcome to post a new thread with your question. And, you'll find lots of support and encouragement as you continue on your journey. Best wishes, and I look forward to seeing you around here again in the future!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

welcome I started my journey in jan 2012.. you can somewhat track my progress in my sig.... hoping to join you at the top of the credit mountain as well Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 23
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

welcome I started my journey in jan 2012.. you can somewhat track my progress in my sig.... hoping to join you at the top of the credit mountain as well :)

Let's press towards the mark! Heart

Message 8 of 23
stevehbold
Valued Member

I came here last July or so with the same goals as yourself. I was totally irresponsible with my credit when I was younger. I started with a Capitol one unsecured 300cl and a orchard 320cl. Recently I was just approved for a discover more card 1700cl and a Barclays apple 2000cl. Just wanted to let you know it is possible probably quicker then you think. Just pay your bills on time and keep your utilization low , youll be headed to primeville in no time. Welcome to the forum!
USAA Amex 0/4000 USAA MC 0/4000k
Barclays apple 0/2000- recon'd from 1300 to 2k
Discover More 250/1700cl Capital One 0/500cl Amazon Store 0/600 Orchard 0/320 Paypal Smart Connect 0/300 Amex zync 500 auto pay
Ex 699 7/12 CU pull -auto loan beacon 5
EX FICO from AMEX-657
Eq 688 6/12
Tu 679 6/12
Message 9 of 23
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

Well, My credit union decided to be  very kind. They approved me for a Visa, with a $500 limit. I'm truly appreciative...I wasn't expecting to get it. I have a judgement on Experian, that doesn't belong to me...it's for someone in NY, and there's a MA address that isn't mine.  I also have another SS# showing up on my credit report. My Experian report is just real crunchy, and I'm not sure how that happened. I don't usually monitor my reports, but from now on it'll be a different story.

My credit union only required that I submit my W-2, my two most recent paystubs and a copy of my SS card. They've sent  out completed dispute letters for me to forward to Experian. I didn't have to jump thru any hoops. They've pretty much guaranteed that I'll be with them, till the end of time. I'm a sucker for good customer service. I doubt I would have gotten treated the same by one of the big banks.

Credit Union Visa - $500
Capital One Secured MC - $200
Orchard Bank Platinum MC - $300 

So, I'm good for the next year and a half. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.