Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Just Survived an Amex FR!!!

tag
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

I Just Survived an Amex FR!!!

On Tuesday morning, I checked the Amex website and noticed that my credit cards were suspended. I called and spoke to nice young lady named Kim and she said she needed to update some information. After giving her the updated information, she said my account was under review and that I needed to send her 3 bank statements. This morning, I received an email stating that they are giving me a hard limit of 3k on my PRG. The other two cards credit lines remained the same. Hopefully, I won't have to go through this again.

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Personal Line of Credit:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: I Just Survived an Amex FR!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

On Tuesday morning, I checked the Amex website and noticed that my credit cards were suspended. I called and spoke to nice young lady named Kim and she said she needed to update some information. After giving her the updated information, she said my account was under review and that I needed to send her 3 bank statements. This morning, I received an email stating that they are giving me a hard limit of 3k on my PRG. The other two cards credit lines remained the same. Hopefully, I won't have to go through this again.

What were your spending patterns before the suspension? Any changes to your CR's ? Additional lines, inq's etc?

Message 2 of 22
newUser0
Established Contributor

What triggered this FR? 

Too many new accounts?

Message 3 of 22
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  Do you know what triggered the review?

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned... Sometimes I worry I'm one more TL away from it Smiley Sad

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 4 of 22
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

I purchased some suits and it went over the limit. My BCE has a 1k limit and I spent $1800. I made a payment 3 or 4 days later to pay it off. It wasn't that bad. I couldn't use my cards for 3 days. Luckily I have some other cards I could have used if needed. She never said said anything about Ina's or new accounts (they approved me for 2 cards last Friday/Saturday).

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Personal Line of Credit:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 5 of 22
tyler84098
Established Member

I am going through the exact same thing right now with my BCE and Gold Delta. I sent over the statements on Wednesday at 4 and still haven't heard back as of today. My rep's hours are 6a-2p T-F. So I probably won't hear anything until Tuesday now. Very frustrating, I found out the hard way when I had to buy something Wednesday morning and both cards declined. Its really embarrassing to have your AMEX cards decline as most people will think its (your) problem.

As far as what triggered my review was that I paid someone using their Square card reader and AMEX labelled it as a "cash tansaction." She said that its against their "business policy" to allow these transactions. I haven't even had the cards open for a month now and I am going through this. I am contemplating just closing the accounts because of this.

To be honest with everyone, I was using my Gold Delta everyday and was going to start using my BCE. I had actually gone down to one other CC in my wallet (a MC, in case AMEX isn't accepted) and had I not had my MC, I would have been screwed. The response from my rep when I told her this, her response was along the lines of "not our problem." Imagine if I was on vacation or something and these were the ONLY cards I have.

Side note: I sent over my bank statements as well as a print out of my current account balances as of yesterday and they are well over what my combined AMEX limits are. Plus, my Delta balance at the time of the review was 450/3500 and BCE 0/4000.

AMEX Premier Gold Rewards NPSL - Chase Sapphire $5,000 - Chase Marriott Rewards $5,000 - Citi AAdvantage Platinum $5,000 - AMEX BCE $4,000 - Delta Gold AMEX $3,500 - US Airways Mastercard $2,860 - Discover It $1,500 - Barclay Rewards $1,300 - USAA MC $1,000 - Capital One $400

EX FICO - 694 - 3/10/14 (+4 from 02/14)
TU CS Fako - 663 3/1/14 (+40 from 01/14)
EQ Site Fako - 626 - 3/2/14 (+54 from 2/14)
Message 6 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I purchased some suits and it went over the limit. My BCE has a 1k limit and I spent $1800. I mad a payment 3 or 4 days to pay it off. It wasn't that bad. I couldn't use my cards for 3 days. Luckily I have some other cards I could have used if needed. She never said said anything about Ina's or new accounts (they approved me for 2 cards last Friday/Saturday).

The trigger was you exceeding your limit..

Message 7 of 22
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

I checked to see if my purchase would be approved and it was. I never thought it would have triggered a FR. Plus, I paid it off in 3 or 4 days. 

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Personal Line of Credit:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 8 of 22
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked to see if my purchase would be approved and it was. I never thought it would have triggered a FR. Plus, I paid it off in 3 or 4 days. 

Good to know Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing.  I have too many new accounts overall, I do admit I've worried about FR.  I should stop worrying.  I do pay my Delta Amex off each month before the statement drops and I'm carrying about 50% Util on Costco TE because it's 0% APR until July. 

I worried because I was approved for two Amex cards December and then 6 more cards right after.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 9 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

only 3 bank statements is a VERY light FR but congrats at making it through!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.