Re: I Kicked CITI To The Curb!

Thanks for the replied

With that kind of history and score it better for you to take your business
somewhere better fused.
Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

No doubt you have to do what you have to do, but I don't understand this expectation some people have (and I don't mean to insult anyone here) that CCC's give them CLI's each and every time they ask for one for exactly the amount they ask for, and if they are rejected, it's best to just take your business elsewhere.  According to you, you've had the account for less then a year, and they already gave you an auto-increase a few months ago with only a soft hit.  Your scores and history give a CCC a place to start.  With less then a year's history with a company, I myself would never expect a 3X jump from 5 to 15k.  I would think it would make more sense to ask for small adjustments over the course of a few years.  Just me talking, no offense intended.
Message 12 of 44
jsmith12345
Regular Contributor

I think Fused is more concerned that the CL isn't in line with his other cards.  I have this same issue.  I've closed all my accounts (except WAMU, which is coming soon) that aren't in line with my other cards.  

However, speaking of Citibank, they're one of my favorite CCC's.  I have my highest CL from them, have a low guaranteed lifetime fixed rate and have a lifetime no fee balance transfer rate of 3.9%.  Smiley Wink  If you can get through to the right person, they'll take care of you.
Message 13 of 44
fused
Moderator Emeritus

krystofur wrote:
No doubt you have to do what you have to do, but I don't understand this expectation some people have (and I don't mean to insult anyone here) that CCC's give them CLI's each and every time they ask for one for exactly the amount they ask for, and if they are rejected, it's best to just take your business elsewhere.  According to you, you've had the account for less then a year, and they already gave you an auto-increase a few months ago with only a soft hit.  Your scores and history give a CCC a place to start.  With less then a year's history with a company, I myself would never expect a 3X jump from 5 to 15k.  I would think it would make more sense to ask for small adjustments over the course of a few years.  Just me talking, no offense intended.

Clearly, there are number of factors going on here, some of which might have little to do with me. CITI was known to be very generous in the past and many members at these forums reported initial credit limits nearly twice the size of mine...and many had scores in the mid to high 600's with considerably less available credit and shorter CC histories than me. Some even had baddies, though they were quite old.

My point is it never hurts to ask...go for the gusto! I simply refuse to continue relationships with CCCs who do not provide flexibilty, offer fairness and provide a product that I hardly benefit from. I never received this type of treatment from AmEx, BoA or FIA and this is why I stick with them.
Message 14 of 44
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

jsmith12345 wrote:
I think Fused is more concerned that the CL isn't in line with his other cards. 

When I talked to Chase about a CLI they indicated that keeping their CLI in line with others was part of the decision.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 15 of 44
fused
Moderator Emeritus

jsmith12345 wrote:

I think Fused is more concerned that the CL isn't in line with his other cards.  I have this same issue.  I've closed all my accounts (except WAMU, which is coming soon) that aren't in line with my other cards.  

Yes, this is a big part of it. I would have also appreciated an explanation as to why they couldn't offer me any increase instead of your not eligible at this time Mr. XXXXXXX. In any event, CITI or anyone who review CRs can get the same information from a soft pull as a hard pull. 
Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

As always, much more behind the scenes then on the surface.  I'm relitively new here and don't know a lot of the historicals.  I missed the housing boom also (thank luck) so I don't understand a lot of that as well.
Message 17 of 44
fused
Moderator Emeritus

krystofur wrote:
As always, much more behind the scenes then on the surface.  I'm relitively new here and don't know a lot of the historicals.  I missed the housing boom also (thank luck) so I don't understand a lot of that as well.

There's no question that the mortgage and more recently CC debt crisis might be playing a factor here. Perhaps, CITI also thinks I have enough available credit so why should they extend me more.
Message 18 of 44
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:

Perhaps, CITI also thinks I have enough available credit so why should they extend me more.

This might be a lot of it. Citi was VERY clear that they weren't going to raise my CL at the rate I was using it when I called. So I used it for every last thing I could, and I got a 56% CLI.

Very impressive, unless you know that it was my Sears MC going from $775 to $1,212 CL. hee hee hee
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 44
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@fused wrote:

Perhaps, CITI also thinks I have enough available credit so why should they extend me more.

This might be a lot of it. Citi was VERY clear that they weren't going to raise my CL at the rate I was using it when I called. So I used it for every last thing I could, and I got a 56% CLI.

Very impressive, unless you know that it was my Sears MC going from $775 to $1,212 CL. hee hee hee

I hold them...you keep kicking!Smiley Tongue
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.