cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'M FURIOUS SOMEONE PLEASE CALM ME DOWN!

tag
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: I'M FURIOUS SOMEONE PLEASE CALM ME DOWN!

Perhaps you have a common name?  Or a name very simular to someone who owes the debt?

Either way, I would love to know what a mod or experienced contributor has to say about this.  Cuz if this isn't yours and its 20 yrs old, I can't imagine this being legal for a debt collector to do this.

Message 11 of 19
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Firstly, this debt is certainly not valid! You need to formally assert the debt collection Statute of Limitations to them. You can do this by either formal letter (if they send a letter or called you) or by legal document such as a debt collection Answer with Affirmative Claims.

I had this happen to me just a few months back wasn't even my debt. How I handled it was I contact FTC lodged a complaint, went online and submitted a dispute online with EX along with my FTC ref number and it was deleted the same day! Hopefully you will have the same luck.

Message 12 of 19
bradpitt
Valued Member

I have had debt collectors many times put debts of people with the same name on my Credit reports many times.  Twice just this year.

Call Equifax and dispute it.  Unfortunally it usually takes a week or two before they get it off your report.

So you might want to delay car shopping.

Unfortunally there is no laws stopping them from doing it or legal repercussions so they tag anyone they want with other peoples debts hoping they pay it.

6 Zillion laws in America and they don't have one that protects our credit. 

Message 13 of 19
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

@Omaplatypus wrote:

not to be nitpicky.... but why is this in the credit card forum?  wouldn't this be more appropriate in the rebuilding credit forum? 

Its in the correct forum.

@OP...... Dispute this listing with the CRA's involved and file a complaint with your Secretary of State.

There appears to be other solid advise in this thread also.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt collection agencies have every right to continue to attempt to collect debt past the SOL.  They just won't win in court if they sue...assuming you provide the proper SOL defense.  They can pull your credit report, they can contact you about the debt...SOL has nothing to do with any of that.

You need to find out where this debt is really coming from.  Were you ever an authorized user on someone else's Amex?  

Message 15 of 19
alboto
Regular Contributor

Well that same company put a hard pull on my brothers CR, and they say its a debt from 1995. Well my brother came to this country in 1999 and in 1995 he was only 16, so he put a a complain through the ftc. They were definitely fishing.
Message 16 of 19
diabla
Regular Contributor

Is there a way to stop hard pulls on your CR?  It seems so unfair that any random debt collector can pull your report and cause your score to go down, and you can't do anything about it.  What if you were in the middle of a mortgage?  Doesn't seem to be any clear way to get the inquiry removed.  If you're not in the market for anything, can you somehow block your report from being pulled?

Message 17 of 19
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Oh wow. I had no idea debt collectors could do that. Smiley Sad That's horrific. 

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 18 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Debt collection agencies have every right to continue to attempt to collect debt past the SOL.  They just won't win in court if they sue...assuming you provide the proper SOL defense.  They can pull your credit report, they can contact you about the debt...SOL has nothing to do with any of that.

You need to find out where this debt is really coming from.  Were you ever an authorized user on someone else's Amex?  

Correct. Most people don't realize that SOL only defines a time period where legal actions are permitted.

Getting past SOL does not stop collection agency from collecting your debt.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.