Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I NOW Know What Citi Card I Want

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: I NOW Know What Citi Card I Want

@Anonymous wrote:

I get 3% dinning with Paypal Extras and 3% gas on my BankAmerica Cash Rewards when Discover IT isn't 5% gas anymore.

PayPal Extra uses points as reward and those points typically worth less than 1 cent, so not a 3% return (more like 2.6%).

Message 401 of 532
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It's really interesting to see people so excited about a new product from Citi. Its obviously competitive to QS and Fidelity Amex.

I agree with the folks who point out a lot of the approvals are on less than favorable terms though. Cap1 is good for 6 month CLI soft pull, BoA not necessarily. But BoA credit analysts seem to have more empowerment when it comes to recon or CLI requests. Citi customer service is so inconsistent, thats reason enough for me to pass.
Message 402 of 532
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@B335is wrote:
It's really interesting to see people so excited about a new product from Citi. Its obviously competitive to QS and Fidelity Amex.

I agree with the folks who point out a lot of the approvals are on less than favorable terms though. Cap1 is good for 6 month CLI soft pull, BoA not necessarily. But BoA credit analysts seem to have more empowerment when it comes to recon or CLI requests. Citi customer service is so inconsistent, thats reason enough for me to pass.

Yes, I didn't have much of opinion of Citi CS one way or the other until recently, when I PCd my Premier to Dividend.   Several times I was told that I had to wait till after the Premier AF posted for the transfer to complete, but not to worry: the AF would either be credited back immediately or reversed on the following statement.

And when it finally happened, I got credited for 11/12 of the fee as I had had the Premier for 1 month of the new year.   I complained and sent the email confirming this would not happen, and eventually they credited the whole amount as a goodwill gesture.  That annoyed me even more, nothing goodwill about it, that is what they promised.

But I know many people have similar incidents with every issuer, so I didn't cancel my cards (just burned down the house of the CSR)

Message 403 of 532
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

LOL i think when you talk about folks i am those folks lol. Its nice to have another 2% card available, but i don't see this card being an replacement for qs or fidelity amex. There are many things about the card i still am not big fan of. I will let guinea pigs test out the card and see if in practice its as good of an card as it seems to be on paper. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 404 of 532
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@LTL: I agree, someone can have a war story about any lender. Maybe I have more with Citi because of how many American Airlines cards I have Smiley Happy

@Mongstradamus: Am I that transparent? Ok you are the "folks" Smiley Happy
I do admire and appreciate your objectivity to this card though.
Message 405 of 532
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:
@LTL: I agree, someone can have a war story about any lender. Maybe I have more with Citi because of how many American Airlines cards I have Smiley Happy

@mongstradamus: Am I that transparent? Ok you are the "folks" Smiley Happy

I try to come at things logically, and also i am the kind of guy that looks for best value in cards, and I definately don't see the value. With just the high apr and low CL, in addition to having no signup bonus. There just isn't the value that other cashback cards provide. Right off the bat when you compare Double cash card to the two cards most similar to it being QS and fidelity Amex, both of those other cards offer some kind of signup bonus.  For my personal experience with QS the CL and Apr are an lot better, so thats like an double whammy. 

I am seem to be one of the only dissenters tho lol. I will just see how it plays out when everbody gets their cards and if they are still happy with the card in six months time :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 406 of 532
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I get 3% dinning with Paypal Extras and 3% gas on my BankAmerica Cash Rewards when Discover IT isn't 5% gas anymore.

PayPal Extra uses points as reward and those points typically worth less than 1 cent, so not a 3% return (more like 2.6%).

Smiley Surprised  time for a new card! Smiley Surprised  im just as naive with only 2 years of history i am learning everyday! gotta love forums Smiley Very Happy but i got to give them thumbs up also for giving me $8,000 boost to my credit ultilization rate in helping me replace them sooner Smiley Happy

http://creditcardforum.com/finance-charges-apr-compare/1043-paypal-credit-card-review-ugly-side-exposed.html

On the upside, if you already have a BofA checking/savings account, you can get $120/year or $10/month. It's the equivalent of spending $1000/month on a 1% cashback card with Bank America Better Balance Rewards Card so i'll get that since i barely accumulate $50 a year on my Bank America Cash Rewards - (hopefully let me product change) and then get the Citi Double Cash for everything else. Smiley Tongue Another great way to make the most of your money Smiley Very Happy

Message 407 of 532
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

PayPal Extras points are worth .083 cents.  So the 3x points is an odd percentage close to ~2.5%.  2.5% on dining is still better than most.  It's the best I have.  I wouldn't recommend carrying a balance on the card.

Message 408 of 532
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I try to come at things logically, and also i am the kind of guy that looks for best value in cards, and I definately don't see the value. With just the high apr and low CL, in addition to having no signup bonus. There just isn't the value that other cashback cards provide. Right off the bat when you compare Double cash card to the two cards most similar to it being QS and fidelity Amex, both of those other cards offer some kind of signup bonus.  For my personal experience with QS the CL and Apr are an lot better, so thats like an double whammy. 

I am seem to be one of the only dissenters tho lol. I will just see how it plays out when everbody gets their cards and if they are still happy with the card in six months time :-)

My Fidelity did not offer a sign up bonus at the time. It's infrequent that there's a 50 or 75 sign up bonus for it. Just putting that out there. This card isn't that bad. And to only have 1 HP vs 3 is pretty valuable. Some people view 1hp as 500 bucks. (Obviously, not the case here, but for some people it is.) 

I don't understand the mass exodus, so to speak, to apply for the card, but I don't understand a great deal about the world. lol

Message 409 of 532
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

As you've said previously, though, your QS experience has been very good (as has mine) but many have not got that love, so the Citi results look OK or even good in comparison (and of course people complain about triple pulls).   But some of my lowest CLs have come from Citi (beaten only by Barclays) so from experience I'm more with you.

I am certainly not rushing to this card, though I will probably PC my unused TYP at some point.   I'm glad for the early adopters, as they can let us know exactly how the rewards work.

Message 410 of 532
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.