Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Need a Travel Card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: I Need a Travel Card

@yfan wrote:

This would add to your Amex portfolio, but the Amex SPG card is pretty good. Recently it raised the AF to $95 (first year free), but added the benefits of no FTF, Boingo hotspot access, free in-room premium wifi on SPG properties, and a 30,000 point bonus. SPG points are regarded as highly valuable as far as the points currencies go and are transferable to airlines as well.

I still haven't been able to get the hotspot access to work properly and have seen a lot of negative reviews on it. Also, be aware that it does not apply to Boingo access in the planes themselves. The card is good, but I'm not sure how much weight I would be on that Boingo internet access because all I see is people complaining about it and I can't get it to work in a major city! 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase Sapphire Preferred

I would go premeir over csp especially with 60k signup bonus that has been floating around. 

60k offer is gone.  RIP

That sucks, but even the 50k offer is a strong contender. 

;
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase Sapphire Preferred

I would go premeir over csp especially with 60k signup bonus that has been floating around. 

60k offer is gone.  RIP

That sucks, but even the 50k offer is a strong contender. 

the offer is still available

Message 13 of 17
yfan
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I still haven't been able to get the hotspot access to work properly and have seen a lot of negative reviews on it. Also, be aware that it does not apply to Boingo access in the planes themselves. The card is good, but I'm not sure how much weight I would be on that Boingo internet access because all I see is people complaining about it and I can't get it to work in a major city! 

Fair point, although the problem is likely one of Boingo's to solve and not Amex's. Their hotspots are probably too crowded, especially during busy hours. One reason Boingo may have made a deal with Amex could be that their subscriptions are down thanks to the very problems you are describing.

Message 14 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Fair point, although the problem is likely one of Boingo's to solve and not Amex's. Their hotspots are probably too crowded, especially during busy hours. One reason Boingo may have made a deal with Amex could be that their subscriptions are down thanks to the very problems you are describing.

Oh its definetly Boingo's problem, but not being able to connect is still not being able to connect. Smiley Very Happy

;
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input everyone! Given my current scores, and no inquiries in about a year (give or take a month) what do you think my odds are for either the CSP or TYP? I know Chase generally pulls Experian in my area, but I'm unsure of what Citi pulls. Also, something weird I have noticed: unless all of these credit monitoring services are EXTREMELY slow, Chase did not hard pull any bureau for me. I'm sure they pulled something, but MyFico monitoring, CreditKarma, CreditSesame, and Credit.com have shown no new inquiries since last August. Haha Smiley Surprised

Message 16 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone! Given my current scores, and no inquiries in about a year (give or take a month) what do you think my odds are for either the CSP or TYP? I know Chase generally pulls Experian in my area, but I'm unsure of what Citi pulls. Also, something weird I have noticed: unless all of these credit monitoring services are EXTREMELY slow, Chase did not hard pull any bureau for me. I'm sure they pulled something, but MyFico monitoring, CreditKarma, CreditSesame, and Credit.com have shown no new inquiries since last August. Haha Smiley Surprised

Pretty sure with chase its number of new accounts in past two years. If you have 5 or more accounts in past two years then you will likely be denied a chase UR card. If you have less than five new accounts in the past two years then you might want to grab the CSP now and get the TYP card later. Honestly I think the prestige card wins out here if you can use its benefits. The airfare credit alone will have you coming out $50 ahead. Between CSP and premier that is going to be closer and more about the points and which partners you prefer etc. 

;
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.