cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I PIF. Is it worth my time to ask for an APR reduction?

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: I PIF. Is it worth my time to ask for an APR reduction?

I always PIF as well.  I like the strategy of having one specific card that has a low APR that can be used "just in case" something comes up and I need to carry a balance for a few months.  Hasn't happened to me yet, but it's nice to have a backup for peace of mind.  Otherwise, I don't spend any time asking for APR reductions - it doesn't take much time but it has zero value to me.

It looks like you only have two cards so it wouldn't take much effort to give Discover a call.  Eventually, you might consider adding a low APR card to your portfolio for this specific purpose.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like I don't need to waste my time with Chase. I would like a CLI from them as well (hoping for a 4 or 6 month auto, though I know that's unlikely) so I don't want to upset such.

Discover I called and they said the account needs to be a year old so to give them a call back in two months. No biggie.

Thanks all!

Message 12 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yup, in November i will try for my first Disco Apr redux. Maybe by then i can hit up Boa for another and Citi would be niceSmiley Happy
Message 13 of 14
Skymogul
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The chances of Chase lowering your APR on your Freedom is virtually nil but I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Yep. I have a situation where my oldest line (21 years) started life as a Providian secured, became a WaMu and then became a Chase. It's still stuck at the Tier 3 rate it started life with and Chase refuses to move the APR despite regular PIF and my 810-830 scores. They told me they only do APR changes via automatic review and cannot do manual APR changes, even though they are offering me new lines at Tier 1 rates.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.