cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Want a NFCU cashrewards card, but scared to apply.

tag
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

I Want a NFCU cashrewards card, but scared to apply.

I just opened a savings account with NFCU, I want to apply for a personal loan but I would also like to apply for the cashrewards card but I am scared to. My fico is 715 with EQ I just checked it today. My credit history says 2 years. I have 6 accts, 2 accts with balances, 4 opened in past year 1 recent inq (total of 2), no baddies, what are my chances. I've seen people on here get high limits with scores lower than mine. I don't want to ruin my chances at the personal loan with them if I apply for a CC. Should I wait til after i apply for the loan?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DI
Super Contributor

Re: I Want a NFCU cashrewards card, but scared to apply.

@mnegron1969 wrote:

I just opened a savings account with NFCU, I want to apply for a personal loan but I would also like to apply for the cashrewards card but I am scared to. My fico is 715 with EQ I just checked it today. My credit history says 2 years. I have 6 accts, 2 accts with balances, 4 opened in past year 1 recent inq (total of 2), no baddies, what are my chances. I've seen people on here get high limits with scores lower than mine. I don't want to ruin my chances at the personal loan with them if I apply for a CC. Should I wait til after i apply for the loan?

You want to wait until you get your715 FICO score higher.  A new tradeline and inquiry can dip your 715 score below 700 if your AAoA's cannot handle it.  

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your score is high enough for NFCU....and you would probably be approved.  However, depending on what your current balances are and how many new accounts you have will have an impact on your CL.

I would apply first for the item you want/need most.  Then call in and ask if they will consider you for the other product using the same pull.  If you do apps online, every app pulls CR.  If you call in and talk to somebody, you most likely can get both on a single pull.

NFCU is by far your best chance with any lender. 

IMO IME  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

I only have a bal on my installment loan ($7400) & mortgage (1 yr old $80,000), my walmart has $0 bal I pay it off ea mo, same with Orchard but that one hasn't appeared yet on my reports. One CC from 2007 is closed. I wanna be able to get a home improvement loan & also to pay off the installment loan I have already.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You want to pay off an installment loan with a credit card?
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many people have gone to NFCU with a builder card and CL of $1k or less as best cc and received $7.5k to $20k.

NFCU is the exception to the rule on higher CL's for newer credit, rebuilding credit or credit without previous higher CL's.

I can't tell you how many people have gone from a CapOne or Orchard of $750 CL up to an NFCU $10k plus.

I'm not guaranteeing that result (will also depend on your income), but you definitely have the best chances with NFCU.

IME IMO Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
anderl
Frequent Contributor

+1     I started with a Premiere MC-$300 CL and a Secured WFNB Visa($500CL) and was approved for a Flagship Visa(10K,instant approval)-NavChek LOC($15K),and GoRewards MC($1K) w/ a 672EQ and no baddies-I say Go For It.Smiley Happy
Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 7 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FaircreditguyFL wrote:

mnegron1969 wrote:

I only have a bal on my installment loan ($7400) & mortgage (1 yr old $80,000), my walmart has $0 bal I pay it off ea mo, same with Orchard but that one hasn't appeared yet on my reports. One CC from 2007 is closed. I wanna be able to get a home improvement loan & also to pay off the installment loan I have already.

This is a good catch! If you get a killer low APR on a CC and move over an installment loan with a high rate, then that makes financial sense, IF you pay it off in the same time frame as the loan.

But this might hurt your scores, because revolving util counts for much more than installment util, and unless you have a cast-in-stone, can't-fail plan for paying off the transferred loan, you could wind up paying a ton of extra money.

It's rarely a good idea to move installment debt to revolving. It can work, but in pretty narrow circumstances. Just a general observation.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 14
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The OP also said they wanted to open a personal loan and was wondering whether to app for that or for a cc first.

I assume they may be talking about paying off the installment loan with the personal loan they wants to app for. Not sure...but that's how I took it.

Message 9 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Thanks, I missed the "apply for a personal loan" part before the cashback card question.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.