Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am Addicted to applying for Credit Cards

tag
Trin
Established Member

I am Addicted to applying for Credit Cards

For the last three years I have applied to more than twenty credit cards. I have more than enough cards with good spending limits. It is something about getting approved that makes feel good. Does anyone have some advice?

AMEX Delta Gold $8k, Citi HH $6k, AMEX HH Surpass $5k, NFCU $5k, CapOne $1500, HSBC $1250, AMEX Jet Blue $1k, Discover $1k, Barclay Aapple $1400
Starting Score: Equifax 499 (1/22/2020); TransUnion 525 (1/22/2020); Experian 523 (1/24/2020)
Current Score: Equifax 723 (11/30/2022); TransUnion 725 (11/30/2022); Experian 706 (11/30/2022)
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
catsrgrey8
New Visitor

Re: I am Addicted to applying for Credit Cards

Hi Trin oh my God I thought I was the only one with this problem, I have about 30 plus credit cards that I don't really need.

Message 2 of 44
compassion101
Established Contributor

Does anyone have some advice?

Sure, stop applying for cards lol

Credit is a long term game, don't try to win it quickly.

Message 3 of 44
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@compassion101 wrote:

Sure, stop applying for cards lol

Credit is a long term game, don't try to win it quickly.

Hahahah!

OP, perhaps you could put security freezes with the 3 CRAs.  You could simply join the Garden and alert people in the thread if you feel like apping.  You could do both.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 44
NikephorosPhocas

+1

Freezing your accounts may be an option for you.
Message 5 of 44
Darrell82
Established Contributor

Yeah i had same issue. I froze all CRAs and joined the gardening club to keep my mind ocupied when i felt the urge. So now my goals are just to get credit limit increases on all my main cards with out getting a hard inquiry. So with out applying for new credit and getting better credit limits i am now addicted to seeing my scores get bigger and my credit limits getting much bigger as well. And focused on getting the best cash back on all my purchases. Good Luck . Def look up and check out the Gardening Club. Great place to start . They can give you some nice pointers.

Message 6 of 44
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Darrell82 wrote:

Yeah i had same issue. I froze all CRAs and joined the gardening club to keep my mind ocupied when i felt the urge. So now my goals are just to get credit limit increases on all my main cards with out getting a hard inquiry. So with out applying for new credit and getting better credit limits i am now addicted to seeing my scores get bigger and my credit limits getting much bigger as well. And focused on getting the best cash back on all my purchases. Good Luck . Def look up and check out the Gardening Club. Great place to start . They can give you some nice pointers.

+1

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 44
alvon123
Super Contributor

Hahahah!

OP, perhaps you could put security freezes with the 3 CRAs.  You could simply join the Garden and alert people in the thread if you feel like apping.  You could do both.  

+1

Message 8 of 44
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

These are financial products, pure and simple.  Boards like this make a game out of it, but in reality, you need to only have stuff in your portfolio that is working for you (saving you money by cash rewards, travel or specific benefits you can quantify).  Just having the next shiny card is USELESS to your financial goals.  Every card I have has a purpose...some save me money...some are for travel and some are short-medium term 0% vehicles where I can park debt for a while.  There are plenty of other products I could apply for...but they aren't worth my time.  You may have different priorities, but you should look at your card portfolio in a manner that helps you long term.

Message 9 of 44
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Trin wrote:

"Quality, not quantity" and "Its a marathon, not a sprint" would be the standard advice.  If your problem is truly addiction I'm not sure forum advice is really going to help.  Recognizing your problem is a good first step though.  Feeling good isn't going to be sustainable as at some point you'll start getting denials.  We can tell you to only apply for what you need but you may need to deal with other underlying issues at play.

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.