cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am not sure which card to get. Help please.

tag
codimom
Frequent Contributor

Re: I am not sure which card to get. Help please.

as usual, ymmv, but with your only card having such a low limit, you may be limited. 

I don't know how USAA works, but do you think you could request a cli on that card before you app for your new one?

Personally, i would go for an Amex BCE or BCP for daily spending rewards... but that may not be the best choice for international travel. 

For International, i think a Visa may be a better choice.  When my  bf and i travel internationally, we tend to use his Chase Freedom and we've never had an issue.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 11 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@codimom wrote:

Personally, i would go for an Amex BCE or BCP for daily spending rewards...

In my view, these two are best used for supermarket only purchases. 

For any other spending--especially international travel--there are much better options.  No forex is far and away the most important thing to have for an int'l travel card.

Message 12 of 17
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@codimom wrote:

as usual, ymmv, but with your only card having such a low limit, you may be limited. 

I don't know how USAA works, but do you think you could request a cli on that card before you app for your new one?

Personally, i would go for an Amex BCE or BCP for daily spending rewards... but that may not be the best choice for international travel. 

For International, i think a Visa may be a better choice.  When my  bf and i travel internationally, we tend to use his Chase Freedom and we've never had an issue.

Doesn't the Freedom have a Forex fee?

Message 13 of 17
opiy26
Valued Member

It seems I need to rethink my desires for a credit card. I am pretty tempted by the American Express Blue Cash Preferred or Discover IT but does anyone have problems with discover being accepted? I can use it as my everyday card and whenever I do travel or fly I can use the travel specific card for the trip to save on flight cost, baggage fees, and other insurances the card offers. 

FICO Scores: Goal - 720+
Transunion - 711 (11-2012)
Equifax - 716 (11-2012)
Goal CC: Not sure yet
Message 14 of 17
mirachi
Regular Contributor

@opiy26 wrote:

It seems I need to rethink my desires for a credit card. I am pretty tempted by the American Express Blue Cash Preferred or Discover IT but does anyone have problems with discover being accepted? I can use it as my everyday card and whenever I do travel or fly I can use the travel specific card for the trip to save on flight cost, baggage fees, and other insurances the card offers. 

Haven't tried to use Discover personally when travelling but here's what Discover says:

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/account/international-use.html

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 15 of 17
opiy26
Valued Member

Well that is good to know. I actually meant to use the Discover or Amex (or whichever I do end up choosing) as my primary card. The other card is used entirely for travel and the perks of a travel card. The primary wouldn't be used on trips abroad.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

FICO Scores: Goal - 720+
Transunion - 711 (11-2012)
Equifax - 716 (11-2012)
Goal CC: Not sure yet
Message 16 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Are you eligible for NFCU? If so flagship visa ia a good option.

I recently traveled to Europe and amex was accepted everywhere I presented it. Discover was not displayed as an option on any store windows... diners club was an option on one window. If visa was accepted; mastercard was not and vice versa. It was odd...

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.