Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am still new with using my CC

tag
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

I am still new with using my CC

So far when ever I use my cc I just pay it in full when I get paid. So my question is, When do I actually have to pay my bill? When the statement comes? Or 21 days from my first purchase? I have a 21 day grace period that is why I said 21 days. My other question is I have 0% APR till 2014 so do that mean if I make a purchase and just pay the minimal payment I will not collect interest or what?

Recovering from a irresponsible au.

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

If it won't for myfico my only card would be my debt it card.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: I am still with using my CC

@jetlife_reeves wrote:

So far when ever I use my cc I just pay it in full when I get paid. So my question is, When do I actually have to pay my bill? When the statement comes? Or 21 days from my first purchase? I have a 21 day grace period that is why I said 21 days. My other question is I have 0% APR till 2014 so do that mean if I make a purchase and just pay the minimal payment I will not collect interest or what?

Welcome to the forum 

Look at your statement and it will say what date it's due 

DUE DATESmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: I am still new with using my CC

+1@mj Smiley Wink yes no apr on purchases til april...once that ellapses you will be chared w interest based on your balance then Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 10
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

Thanks, trying to learn. But so my payment is not due until my statement comes in? I'm starting to get it now thanks. Smiley Happy

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

Message 4 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jetlife_reeves wrote:

Thanks, trying to learn. But so my payment is not due until my statement comes in? I'm starting to get it now thanks. Smiley Happy

Correct 

you can pay early if you like but yes payment is not due until statement cuts

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 10
Agent_Zero
New Contributor

Awesome so I can go out and buy something big and just make minimal payments on it until it's paid off. Will it hurt my score by just making minimal payments?

***-Gardening-***
10/10/13-4/10/13

Message 6 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jetlife_reeves wrote:

Awesome so I can go out and buy something big and just make minimal payments on it until it's paid off. Will it hurt my score by just making minimal payments?

Since you have a 0% in place yes you can but yes you may also see a score drop. However as you pay it down scores will recover

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Be sure to pay before the 0% ends.
And to maximize your score, keep your credit utilization at 9%.
Example:
Say your limit is $1000 and you max it out every month, but pay it in full...
Don't let the statement have a balance >$90 on it (that's 9%) this will help your score.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 10
lithium78
Established Contributor

@jetlife_reeves wrote:

There are generally two reasons why making minimum payments is not the best idea:

1. ) If you make minimum payments, you have to pay interest on what you borrowed.  That pretty much negates the value of any rewards you would get from your card, plus that's money out of your pocket that could go toward something nice for yourself.

2.)  Part of your FICO is based on your utilization of credit.  Generally, you want to only have one credit card report a balance of between 1% - 9% of your credit limit (but pay it off before the statement date so you don't get charged interest).  When you have high utilization reporting on your credit cards, they gets concerned that you are overextending yourself and they lower your FICO.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

@jetlife_reeves wrote:

There are generally two reasons why making minimum payments is not the best idea:

1. ) If you make minimum payments, you have to pay interest on what you borrowed.  That pretty much negates the value of any rewards you would get from your card, plus that's money out of your pocket that could go toward something nice for yourself.

2.)  Part of your FICO is based on your utilization of credit.  Generally, you want to only have one credit card report a balance of between 1% - 9% of your credit limit (but pay it off before the statement date so you don't get charged interest).  When you have high utilization reporting on your credit cards, they gets concerned that you are overextending yourself and they lower your FICO.

While 1) doesn't apply now (because of the 0% APR) for many paying minimums isn't a great habit to get into, especially, as others mentioned, near the end of the 0 APR promo you want to make sure you can pay it all down.

But, if you have enough self-discipline, and a relatively high rate of return on some semi-liquid investment, it does make sense to pay the minimum for the 0% period.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.