Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am thinking about closing Amex ;(

tag
calihlove75
Established Contributor

I am thinking about closing Amex ;(

I have had my BCE card about 9 months still stuck at $2000. I have been putting about $700-$800 a month and paying in full...well up until this month. I have decided to concentrate on my Discover that might grow. Here is some history, received the card in November, requested the cli at 61 days and was told I was approved for the $6000. It never showed up and when I called back they had no idea. I let it go and tried 90 days later- denied debt to reported income...90 days later denied debt to reported income. I think my account is broke. My utility is low so I just don't understand. I feel like Amex will not grow with me. They also gave me a 19.99 % APR after my intro so I was thinking maybe I need to close it and try for a new account later.

I just paid off my small balance of $93 bucks and don't plan on using it. I went to do my normal $700 charge today, but I was like why should I and decided to give the love to Discover instead since AMEX really hates me!!

Has anyone ever closed down an account, reapplying later for better terms? It just will not grow. Am I throwing in the towel too soon?

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: I am thinking about closing Amex ;(

You could always try writing to the EO first and see what's going on
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

I have had my BCE card about 9 months still stuck at $2000. I have been putting about $700-$800 a month and paying in full...well up until this month. I have decided to concentrate on my Discover that might grow. Here is some history, received the card in November, requested the cli at 61 days and was told I was approved for the $6000. It never showed up and when I called back they had no idea. I let it go and tried 90 days later- denied debt to reported income...90 days later denied debt to reported income. I think my account is broke. My utility is low so I just don't understand. I feel like Amex will not grow with me. They also gave me a 19.99 % APR after my intro so I was thinking maybe I need to close it and try for a new account later.

I just paid off my small balance of $93 bucks and don't plan on using it. I went to do my normal $700 charge today, but I was like why should I and decided to give the love to Discover instead since AMEX really hates me!!

Has anyone ever closed down an account, reapplying later for better terms? It just will not grow. Am I throwing in the towel too soon?

When did you last request a CLI?

Message 3 of 5
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@calihlove75 wrote:

It was about 2 weeks ago so over two months before I am eligible again.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@calihlove75 wrote:

It was about 2 weeks ago so over two months before I am eligible again.

If declined do you have to wait the full 6 months again?

I to would call into the credit department at amex for a manual review of what is going on... sometimes it's all about getting the right customer service agent though to send either you or your account to the right place for review.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.