cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I blew my chances in getting the Amex Zync....Ugh!

tag
getahead
Regular Contributor

I blew my chances in getting the Amex Zync....Ugh!

I cannot believe I was not thinking....long story short, I applied for the Amex TE card from a pre approval in the mail, well I got declined...of course.  So I decided to apply for  the Zync, not thinking about the 30 day waiting period.  I got a counter offer with Zync for a $500 limit with autopay, so I fax in my autopay form & I was all excited thinking woohoo I'm getting my foot in the door, well I checked online on the app status....cancelled!!  I'm like wth? I call the cust service they told me I need to wait for the letter.  The letter comes in the mail today, I'm sorry we cancelled your application due to applying for the TE card within 30 days!! Here I am thinking I read the forums all the time & see people saying to wait the 30 days & it didn't sink in my head.  Ugh!! Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690
Goal Score: 700 Club

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I blew my chances in getting the Amex Zync....Ugh!

Ouch, that sucks. I waited 30 days after my previous app (for a BCE) to apply for a Zync but I'm not having better luck either.

On the plus side, at least a cancelled app means no extra inquiries.

Message 2 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear that. I'm really apprehensive about apping for Amex because they seem so finicky. I'm not sure how this works, but can't you re-apply in 30 days then?

Amex TE ... is that the Costco True Earnings card?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 20
getahead
Regular Contributor

it does suck, I really wanted that card too!  Good luck to you Andy, hopefully they won't have to pull 3 inq on you.

Current Score: Fico EQ-679, Fico TU-670, EX Plus-713, TU Walmart-697, CreditKarma-690

Message 4 of 20
getahead
Regular Contributor

yes, it's the Costco card, I dont know what I was thinking to get approved for that, LOL!  yes, I can reapply in 30 days & by then all of my cc's would be pif too! But, is it a good idea to apply in Feb if I'm planning to buy a house in August?

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@getahead wrote:

yes, it's the Costco card, I dont know what I was thinking to get approved for that, LOL!  yes, I can reapply in 30 days & by then all of my cc's would be pif too! But, is it a good idea to apply in Feb if I'm planning to buy a house in August?

No, you really shouldn't be applying for ANYTHING a year before a mortgage.. every inquiry is one more reason to get denied, or to get an increased APR. And while your APR with a credit card really doesn't matter.. any kind of increase on a mortgage hurts when you're talking about 30 years.

Message 6 of 20
getahead
Regular Contributor

Thanks Andy for the heads up, thats it no more apping for me, I'm done until we get a house!

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@getahead wrote:

Thanks Andy for the heads up, thats it no more apping for me, I'm done until we get a house!

I'm glad I'm not looking to get a mortagage for a few years (really not expecting to want to live in Ohio forever), since trying to have a whole year inquiry-free would be awful. But that seems to be the best, as far as scores go. Even a minor APR increase is going to hurt you a lot when you're talking about a mortgage.

Message 8 of 20
getahead
Regular Contributor

I read on here that you should'nt app for 6 months before a mortgage, so I went ahead & app'd for the Amex.  Oh man, I hope this didn't hurt me to qualify for a mortgage.  You could buy a huge house in Ohio for the price here in Hawaii you'll probably get a studio Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@getahead wrote:

I read on here that you should'nt app for 6 months before a mortgage, so I went ahead & app'd for the Amex.  Oh man, I hope this didn't hurt me to qualify for a mortgage.  You could buy a huge house in Ohio for the price here in Hawaii you'll probably get a studio Smiley Indifferent

Yeah, 6 months seems to be what I've been reading, but inquiries will still count towards your score for a whole year. Of course, YMMV.

And I realize the property prices here are cheaper than in most states, but even if I get a big house here, it still means having to live here Smiley Wink I'll have been in Ohio for ten years this April, and that's more than enough for one lifetime. Once I'm done with school.. I'm out. Landlocked state, it's flat, no real scenery, people are fat, we have hot and humid summers and cold winters. Can't recommend it to anyone.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.