Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I called today because I'm closing my Total Visa

tag
maynie
Valued Member

I called today because I'm closing my Total Visa

I've had it for almost 5 years and it still has a low limit (325) which doesn't bother me as much as the annual fee. I called to ask when the fee is charged so I could pay it off and cancel it before that date. The lady tried to scare me into not cancelling! She told me that because of the new federal laws credit cards were extremely hard to get and these cards are no longer being offered. She also said it would report as closed and that would hurt my credit! I briefly debated telling her why she was wrong on both counts (at least for my personal situation) but then figured she was just trying to do her job, I guess, and it wasn't even worth my time. So I thanked her and hung up. Very interesting though. This card is definitely a goner!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I called today because I'm closing my Total Visa

I love chatting with CSRs.  They always extol the virtues of their card company, and I take joy in telling them about other cards that are better! 

Yesterday a CSR at discover tried to get me to do a BT for a low rate of 6.99% with a 5% transfer fee.  I politely told her, "Wow, that is a good deal, but Pentagon federal is offering a no transfer fee and 4.99% for 24 months.  Do you have a penfed account?  No?  You should get one they're great!"

Hahah they're always very nice about it.

Message 2 of 9
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Have you tried asking to have the AF waived? Never hurts to try. If they actually do it, keep it for another year, then try again.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 4 of 9
xchap
Contributor

If the card offer no future than i agree close it.

there's better cards out there.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 760
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the TOTAL CARD as well. They told me that I can request a CLI after every three months. So I have been doing so. They have given me an additional $25.00 everytime. I know this is a very low increase, but it's better than nothing. My limit is currently at $425.00

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the TOTAL CARD as well. They told me that I can request a CLI after every three months. So I have been doing so. They have given me an additional $25.00 everytime. I know this is a very low increase, but it's better than nothing. My limit is currently at $425.00

Yeah That's how it works with them. I think the max CL you can have on the card is $1000. It helped me rebuild but i had to move on.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah,

That's the stages i'm in rebuilding. I hate paying the monthly fees participation and all that but overall it's a decent card for those struggling with credit like myself.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

it's a decent card for those struggling with credit like myself.

I agree

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.