Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can honestly say I Dont Mind Cap1 [Updated]

tag
bk510
Valued Contributor

Re: I can honestly say I hate Cap1

@EndlessRoad wrote:
I have reviewed your account and see that you have Annual fee of $39.00 and it is for one year. The annual membership fee is charged to help offset some of the costs of managing your account.
Aramand
03:50 PM
One of the reasons Capital One charges a membership fee is to be able to provide a high level of service and benefits. As an example, most of the items that you purchase on the card can have their warranties extended, which can be worth much more than the cost of the total membership fee.
Aramand
03:50 PM
Different credit card products contain different benefits, features, rates and fees. Some products have Annual Membership Fees as part of the terms to help offset some of the costs of managing the account.

This is the reason Capital One gave me for the annual fee on my two accounts.  Capital One was great 3 years ago when I was rebuilding, but really that is all their good for.  Once you get past that point they are a bit of a joke.  I have a 3 month old Discover card which just doubled my limit and has no annual fee, all in 2 minutes over the phone. Plus offers 5% categories, as well as the most helpful CS I've ever dealt with.  Getting a $500 dollar increase with Cap1 involves emailing the EO, waiting over a week for a call back, then another week of waiting for a decision...all for 1.5% cashback...meh.  In all honesty I think my Capital One cards have come to the end of the line for me.  Ill miss the padding they give my util but other than that they are a useless credit card company (unless you're rebuilding and can't get anything else). 

Countdown to Cap 1 D-Day....4 Months, Cant wait!

+1,lol

You could app for quicksilver visa at this point. Visa version starts at 3000. (if u r ok with 3 pull).

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 11 of 26
bk510
Valued Contributor

@EndlessRoad wrote:

@john398 wrote:

@EndlessRoad wrote:

@john398 wrote:

If you have facebook, try sending them a private message via Facebook t I have sucess that way, if not than you could send an email to EO, If you need the email address PM me

Hey john, thanks I've dealt with the EO from Capital One before and to be completely honest its to much of a hassle for what they offer.  I waited over a week for a call after emailing them, then after speaking to them I had to wait another week for a reply...all this for a $500 increase.  This would be fine if I had the card for 3 months like my Discover but after 3 years you shouldn't have to go thru that. 

wow sounds like you got a slow person there, I always had my response the next day

Seems everybody says that, but I waited and waited...then after waiting the results were hardly worth it.  Maybe I'll try the EO again and see if I can get this amazing experience others mention. 

I wouldn't go far as to say "amazing", But coming from cap1, It probably is Smiley Happy

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 12 of 26
bk510
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

There may be a point to where it's not worth it.  My QS1 has a $74 AF (leftover from the HSBC days).  I got it credited this year, but having to call back every year might just get to be too much of a hassle.  With my AF, I'd have to put over $15K in charges thru the QS1 to get it to be worth that fee (my BCE can do 1% cashback, while QS1 is 1.5%).   I'm hoping I can raise the CL past $3K and see if I can PC to a regular QS at that point.   Or maybe I can see if the AF can be permanently waived (some have had success there).

Anyway, I would try the EO again.  And if it's not successful and/or if you don't think the effort is worth the benefit, maybe it's just time to move on.

After 3 yrss of building with cap1, OP definately has all the rights to move on to the greener pasture.

I have seen QS one card holders with an annual fee of 39, had their cards being bumped up to 3500 to 4500.( yes QS one ).

But as always, theres that wildcard thing called......YMMV.

Message 13 of 26
bk510
Valued Contributor

@EndlessRoad wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

There may be a point to where it's not worth it.  My QS1 has a $74 AF (leftover from the HSBC days).  I got it credited this year, but having to call back every year might just get to be too much of a hassle.  With my AF, I'd have to put over $15K in charges thru the QS1 to get it to be worth that fee (my BCE can do 1% cashback, while QS1 is 1.5%).   I'm hoping I can raise the CL past $3K and see if I can PC to a regular QS at that point.   Or maybe I can see if the AF can be permanently waived (some have had success there).

Anyway, I would try the EO again.  And if it's not successful and/or if you don't think the effort is worth the benefit, maybe it's just time to move on.

I agree completely Sunrise, I get 1% on my Barclay Card & Discover card when not spending in their categories and earning 5%.  I emailed the EO and explained my situation, I really don't mind if it comes down to closing the Cap1 accounts, because not paying the fee and dealing with them is well worth it.  I'd probably keep the QS1 if it converted to reg QS as well.

+1,
I would most definately ditch the cap1 card, if they are not willing to remove the annua fee, ( especially after 3 yrs ). my god.

In my case, right after i got approved for barclay card (a day after), cap1 upgraded my platinum to QS one, with annual fee removed forever.

Just a week ago, they claimed that my plat wasnt available for an upgrade.lol. ( what a joke ).

See, they watch you all the time, never forget that. they are not going to upgrade anything for u, UNLESS they have to, in order to compete.

And i think thats important to remember.(my 2 cent).

Message 14 of 26
bk510
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Well put and I think we are kindred spirits.  I was somewhat chastised for my POV which is much similar to yours but I think anyone that has had a relationship with Cap1 that involved rebuilding from bad/poor credit will be relegated to the mind boggling begging via EO/Facebook/Twitter/Linked In or whatever route you need to take.  WHO has the time for this nonsense.  I now consider them a buffer on my util until I cancel and I for sure don't consider them my credit/banker like I now consider Chase, Citi, and Discover.

On the other side of the coin if you are Tier 1 with them from the start you are treated like a valued customer.

I wouldn't waste another minute of time with them trying to make them into something they will never be.  Good luck! -Barry

"WHO has the time for this nonsense."

Emailing EO and returning their call takes about 30 minutes out of my life.  I certainly don't do any begging either.  It is well worth it to me to get the annual fee waived.  Chase, Amex, Barclay aren't going to waive my AF year after year.

"On the other side of the coin if you are Tier 1 with them from the start you are treated like a valued customer."

I had scores in the high 500's to low 600's when I got my HSBC card.  Now that my credit has recovered they upgraded my card, added rewards, waived my AF, and raised my CL to $320 to $10,000.  Maybe your credit or your income isn't where Cap One needs it to be for them to consider you Tier 1.  But don't assume that is the case for everyone.

+1

Message 15 of 26
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Let's just play devil's advocate here. CapitalOne's core demographic is different from Barclay's or Discover. Even if we're just talking about people with 700+ FICOs, the guy or gal who had to use CapitalOne cause they blew up 10 years ago is more likely (heaven forbid the thought) to do it again, and tho having the same score, was never and will never be the same type of borrower as someone who never blew up. As such, it behooves CapitalOne be more conservative with CLI's at all times.
  (Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 16 of 26
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Reading this thread makes me sad.  Not because it is negative against Capone, sad for the OP!  I closed one Capone card at the 2 year mark when they wouldn't remove the AF or even waive it.  No transfer to retention, no counter offer, nothing, but this was before I knew about the EO.  It is a hassle, not 'no hassle', to go through this.  I won't close my Capone accounts, but they won't be used that often in the future.  Well, they actually aren't used that often now, just even less in the future!  If Capone closes them, well whatever.  If I had an AF on any of them and the EO refused to remove it, then I would certainly close them myself considering the cards I now have.  I have much better cards than they offer.  With my PNC card I get 1.75% on everyday purchases, so I basically don't use them, just my AU do!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 17 of 26
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. 

I did in fact email the EO yesterday to get my one week of waiting started Smiley Happy

I understand the comment about "blowing up" again, but honestly I think all it takes is that mistake to make me not mess up again.  I learned my lesson big time, and I told myself I'd never go back to those habits again.  And I haven't plus I've been proving that over the last 3 years, with more cards and more credit than I ever had before.  Discover sees that and makes the effort to comment and say "we'd be happy to raise your limit, you've been doing great with your current card" and thats after "seeing" that for 3 months. 

I'm not sure who Capital One thinks they are to be honest, I certainly don't feel they owe me anything but it sure would be nice to be recognized for my efforts and complete turn around from 3 years ago.  With lackluster rewards, low limits, and AF's I feel I'm being treated like I've been making the same mistakes.  I saw the poster who said Cap1 raised her from $320 to 10k...and that just annoys me (however congrats to you!).  I also see your point about the score and credit, but when I first got  my Cap1 card I was barely at a 500 FICO, now 3 years later I'm just about to 700 with perfect payments, over 11k in available credit and a util sitting at below 20%.  That should say something to a lender.  But with Capital One, I had to email the EO, ask for a 5k limit, wait a week to hear anything, then wait another week for an awesome $500 dollar increase.  Again none of this would be an issue until I see those AF's, and that just makes me mad. 

Again thanks to those of you that replied, and congrats to those of you that had good luck with Cap1, consider yourself lucky! 

Message 18 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

"WHO has the time for this nonsense."

Emailing EO and returning their call takes about 30 minutes out of my life.  I certainly don't do any begging either.  It is well worth it to me to get the annual fee waived.  Chase, Amex, Barclay aren't going to waive my AF year after year.

"On the other side of the coin if you are Tier 1 with them from the start you are treated like a valued customer."

I had scores in the high 500's to low 600's when I got my HSBC card.  Now that my credit has recovered they upgraded my card, added rewards, waived my AF, and raised my CL to $320 to $10,000.  Maybe your credit or your income isn't where Cap One needs it to be for them to consider you Tier 1.  But don't assume that is the case for everyone.

Whether it is worth the time is really just a personal decision.   I've seen people here with $500 CL and $39 fees, being told to try the EO.  Now if these are your only cards, I would agree, but many of these people have now got cards with no AF and with much higher CLs.  If the EO can waive the fee forever (which is certainly not always the case) and raise the limit to $3000 (also unlikely), it STILL may not be worth much effort to that individual.  As SK points out in a different context, don't assume everyone has the same metrics!

Now personally I have no issue with Cap One, they started me with $30K so I didn't have to go through this experience (though still had to go to the EO to get an increase after 9 years, just to see if it worked).   But certainly there can be a time to move on, and working hard to get a small increase on a low CL card with an AF may not be time well spent.

Message 19 of 26
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Crapital One has NO interest in maintaining the relationships it builds with people.  I feel exactly the same as the OP and my cards are also on the chopping block.  To be made to sing and dance via email to the EO for what should be basic customer service is beyond ridiculous.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.