Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not believe it!

tag
farmgirljen
Valued Member

I can not believe it!

Recently I was approved for Discover more with $1000 limit(great because it got my foot in the door)...I closed my secured visa, and paid off 3 small cl cards to 0 balances. I balance transfered my cap 1 card to my discover. I apped for citi diamond preferred the same night as discover, and after several weeks was approved for a $500 initial limit(again, fine wiht that as it gets my foot in the door)  today I logged into my old navy account, and got a message I was eligible for an upgrade from the store card ot their visa. I accepted it and my $300 cl for a store card was upgraded to a $2000 visa!! I am so happy right now! I am going to dump all of my smaller cards that have annual fees - I don't need them anymore!

Starting Score: EQ 581,NO TU
Current Score: TU 676, EQ 663 EX 653
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: I can not believe it!

Good going! congrats on your cards and CLIs. Now just keep caring for your accounts.
Message 2 of 12
farmgirljen
Valued Member

Yep, that is my plan! I am so happy that I have got my foot in the door with prime cards, and will just sit back and garden them... I have one more card that I want, but am going ot wait several months before apping for it...  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 581,NO TU
Current Score: TU 676, EQ 663 EX 653
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Go Farm Girl!  Soon you will have a wallet full of the big hitters, and you can leave the putt-putt cards behind.

Not applicable

Wow, nice! Going from a low-limit store card for a decent limit visa is definitely nice upgrade, too. Nice feeling to know you're getting approved by prime lenders, isn't it?

That's my goal for 2012 - ditch all the subprime/AF cards, and try to get in with prime lenders. Now that I got Discover, and mailed a recon letter to Citi, my next goal will be Amex.

Message 5 of 12
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

My Household Plat Rewards card is a tough call for me. It's a low-limit rebuilder (I'd say it's considered a rebuilder), but it has no AF. I guess the most damage it would do is if other creditors view it as a sub-prime card, though on my CRs it jut says HSBC.

Is anything keeping you from AmEx now?
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:
My Household Plat Rewards card is a tough call for me. It's a low-limit rebuilder (I'd say it's considered a rebuilder), but it has no AF. I guess the most damage it would do is if other creditors view it as a sub-prime card, though on my CRs it jut says HSBC.

Is anything keeping you from AmEx now?

The only HSBC card I have is an Orchard Bank card with a $300 limit. Honestly, I don't know why I even bothered getting it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I meant to call in to close it today, but.. I guess I feel bad? Like I'm abandoning the card - which I really don't need at all. Gonna be axing one of my Cap One cards soon (January), and the other one I have might get closed if I get in with Citi and Amex. That'll leave me with BofA, NFCU, Discover + whatever new prime ones I get approved for. Plus a few GECRB store cards (Amazon and Wal-free-fico-score-Mart).

I haven't applied for Amex since.. I guess I didn't want another inquiry on EX. Honestly, I guess I should rather do it NOW and get it dated to 2011 so any future cards would backdate. Plus since the Discover card won't report yet, I won't get hurt by the new tradeline showing up on my report.

However, apping with Amex is intimidating after all the denials I keep hearing about.

Also, I don't really want a charge card.. but I might get a zync if I have no other choice.

Message 7 of 12
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

You can get in with a charge, then parlay that into a CC once you're in. Close the charge before first AF hits if you don't really want it. Just an idea.

I feel the same way about the Household, seemed like a good idea at the time, plus it has rewards, but it quickly became expendable..

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:
You can get in with a charge, then parlay that into a CC once you're in. Close the charge before first AF hits if you don't really want it. Just an idea.

I feel the same way about the Household, seemed like a good idea at the time, plus it has rewards, but it quickly became expendable..

I'd much rather get in with a revolver than a charger, but I don't think they have any 'easy' to get revolving cards - i.e. no Zync equivalent.  A couple of the card recommendation sites that soft your credit report (like Creditcards dot com and CreditKarma) were recommending the Blue Cash Everday and Preferred for me, but I think I have no chance of getting either one of those.

Message 9 of 12
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Older posts seemed to point to the Delta and Starwood cards being "easier", but that may not be true anymore. You'll know when you are ready. You seem to have a good plan!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.