cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I closed my Amazon Visa to move the credit line to another chase card.. can I reapply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed my Amazon Visa to move the credit line to another chase card.. can I reapply?

I closed my Amazon visa because I was not using it a ton and I just rellocated the line to my other Chase card. I have been seeing the new Amazon Prime visa and it is intriguing. Do you think I will get declined if I re-apply for one? I JUST got prime and I am keeping it so the 5% would be sweet.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I closed my Amazon Visa to move the credit line to another chase card.. can I reapply?

@Anonymous wrote:

I closed my Amazon visa because I was not using it a ton and I just rellocated the line to my other Chase card. I have been seeing the new Amazon Prime visa and it is intriguing. Do you think I will get declined if I re-apply for one? I JUST got prime and I am keeping it so the 5% would be sweet.

My experience with Chase (and other issuers for that matter) would indicate that having had and cancelled a card is not a negative factor for getting the card again.

And, though churning wasn't your aim, you will reap a $50 Amazon g/c on approval.

If you think you otherwise qualify and the benefits are worth the hard inquiry to you, go for it!

Chris.

Message 2 of 7
BirchBarlow
Contributor

Re: I closed my Amazon Visa to move the credit line to another chase card.. can I reapply?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My experience with Chase (and other issuers for that matter) would indicate that having had and cancelled a card is not a negative factor for getting the card again.

And, though churning wasn't your aim, you will reap a $50 Amazon g/c on approval.

If you think you otherwise qualify and the benefits are worth the hard inquiry to you, go for it!

Chris.

$70 if you apply through Amazon.

Message 3 of 7
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

Do it! Smiley Very Happy

You can also probably call them first and see if they will reopen the card if you just closed it. I'm sure that's probably also an option. You would have to move some credit back around, of course. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 4 of 7
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Not true. When I applied the Unlimited card, I was questioned why I closed my Freedom card two months ago. I had to explain that, I had three Freedom cards (one from a defunct co-brand gas card). So I consolidated from 3 to 2 Freedom cards. 

My SO has closed 20 CCs (4 Chase cards) over the past year. And SO still can't get any Chase card approved. 

Closing card and re-open is considered bad. Chase is very careful about being churned now. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think op also has a lot of Leverage. The new 5% deal just rolled out. Lots of people were closing the card, moving limits over and going with the synchrony version.
Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Not true. When I applied the Unlimited card, I was questioned why I closed my Freedom card two months ago. I had to explain that, I had three Freedom cards (one from a defunct co-brand gas card). So I consolidated from 3 to 2 Freedom cards. 

My SO has closed 20 CCs (4 Chase cards) over the past year. And SO still can't get any Chase card approved. 

Closing card and re-open is considered bad. Chase is very careful about being churned now. 

Chris shared his personal experience, so it's definitely true for him.  Your SO had a different experience, which is valid as well.

Data points are valuable here, especially when they differ. 

We will each have to determine what data points might apply to our own situation, and move forward accordingly.  Smiley Wink

At the end of the day none of us here know in advance what Chase's underwriting results will be for every profile, so sometimes the only way to find out is to apply and see what happens. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.