I closed my BOFA cc....

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: I closed my BOFA cc....

@longtimelurker wrote:

@zerofire wrote:

Give them a good relationship of many years and they will be willing to overlook the black mark of a BK giving you multiple thousands of dollars in credit but at 18months your just not there yet. It is a shame that you are willing to try to go in and got in but then are unwilling to put effort into build up a fresh relationship to a healthy level.

But I think PIzza1's point is "Why would I do that?"   Banks and credit cards are really best viewed as commodities these days, there are LOTS of choices around.  So I would only take years to build a relationship if there was clearly something extremely worthwhile at the end, that was only available with that relationship.   And at least to me it's not clear there is with BoA.

+1 LTL...exactly!

zerofire....wasnt looking for multiple thousands of dollars, Ive got that already LOL.. $200k+, but I WAS looking for an increase of ANY kind to keep me around...like I said in my post...I would have been happy if they threw me $500 cli...at least it was movement! 

Message 21 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

Well..at least you gave them 18 months to grow. I gave US bank less than 24 hours before I canceled their card! lol

Good riddance! Smiley LOL

LOLOL!!! hehe.... Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Im done with lenders who arent willing to grow with me, and who can clearly see my other limits with other lenders, and not willing to look past my BK.  

Ive had my BOFA cc for a yr and a half now.  (Some here may say that its really not that long to have a card with a lender, but I say it is). Started as the 99/500 partially secure, and then unsecured at 5 months in June 2016, and a small cli to $1500 at that time.  My limit has been that for a year now.  Use/PIF/rinse and repeat, every single month for the last 18mo. 

My card has been fully unsecured for a year now, and 18mo of payment history with them, but yet still declined for a cli due to "bk". Whatever.....that was 4 yrs ago. The "senior credit analyst" are a joke. So, had to pay to unfreeze TU (mandatory in my state), and took a HP for nothing....again. 

I mean c'mon....you could have given me anything even 500 to move the CL some, but no. So, I closed it right then while on the phone. I have a feeling that my CL would have stayed that way till the BK fell off reports or dang close to it anyways, and Im not gonna wait 6 more years for a CLI with anyone...period. I think Ive proven myself since my BK.  I undertand its the lenders perrogative to approve or decline for whatever reasons, and I have same. 

a few data....BOFA was not IIB(never had a relationship with them in any way ever until now), my overall util reporting was at 1%, my BOFA cc was at $0 bal,  and not sure on score probally 679.  

Some of you might think it was a emotional reaction closing the card, or a stupid one because "they can grow big". True....for some thats the case, but not for all. Oh well, at least I cracked them post BK, so that challenge was done. I have plenty of other credit, and lenders that are growing nicely with me, and will love the extra swipes now. 

Pizza1, you have been one of my favorite posters since my initial arrival here, and upon my return I found you even more impressive, due to that EPIC recon call with Chase, which at the time may have been a record(I believe Bella007 has it now, possibly emboldened by your post!) for shortness of time getting back with Chase after IIB.  I've even quoted your endeavors in multiple threads.  Your work is playing a HUGE influence on my plans around the New Year.

All of that said, I'm also going to try to get back in with BOA, who I IIBed, despite this thread from someone whose work I follow/respect!   It would have been interesting to see if things had changed once your scores got a bit higher.  You mentioned the spend, pay, lather, rinse, repeat....but did you ever try "active disinterest", a pickup artist technique?  Picture the bank as a female, the one who calls the shots, and you as the guy, trying to get her to place more value on you.   I know this may differ by lender and situation, but I've had experience where after doing some of the paying and getting nothing, I purposefully neglected the card for a time...showing disinterest, and llike getting the chick who is like a cat who enjoys trying to get the string for hours until you drop it at their paws and they suddenly dont care about it anymore, in my experience some banks can behave similarly.  Have you tried completely ignoring the card for a few months immediately before trying the CLI?  That's the one thing I'm REALLY curious about in this thread!

I plan to try for one in 6 months.  My scores are higher, but I IIBed them, so who knows?.  Seemingly like you, I want it more for the challenge on my "credit bucket list", and really hope I have a chance to get in.  If I can, hopefully I can add some data points about CLIs once scores are higher.  I may be seeking your advice as the new year approaches, as I admire your ability to recon on post-BK prime apps.  Do you offer any "pay for live recon training/coaching" over the phone?  I (mostly) seriously think it might be a hit on here, and quite useful!  Has anyone suggested that yet?

oh WOW! Gosh, thank you so much for that CaptainJ!!! That was super nice of you to say that...really, I appreciate that a lotSmiley Happy 

LOL on the "live recon training", LOL...I just sometimes dont like to take NO for an answer. hahah...Smiley Wink  I mean, when I want something, I go after it full force whether is in credit cards or life in general, I have a very "assertive" personality, and way with words sometimes.. I reconed Chase I dont know how many times, but got lucky with a nice UW.  That phone call was like 45 min+. lol

Message 23 of 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, very true zipperheadSmiley Wink

Ive reached my peak with Boa at about 10k seeing as i have no significant money in the bank or with them, their " love" only extends as far as my credit worthiness allows Smiley Wink

Whats that saying, " No money...No honey" Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Pizza you are free to close any card you decide to. I would not have, but I have a longer relationship with BofA, including CLD over several years. Their cards remain useful to me, and they have been evolving some "step-child affiliation cards" to somewhat better rewards. Then there are the BT offers and BankAmeriDeals. Age of accounts on two are a factor for me.

With these changes, what does your card portfolio look like now?

Hey NRB...My card porfolio you ask? you sure you wanna know? LOLOL...its not too shabby Smiley Wink 

Navy Cash Rewards Visa-$25k

Navy Plat Visa-$17.5k

Cap1 Venture Visa-$48k

Barclay Arrival MC-$7090k (dont ask me about that weird number either, lol)

Nordstrom Visa-$17.5k

Stash Visa-$12k

Sams MC-$15k

Discover iT-$6.3k

Discover Miles-$3.5k

Penfed Plat rewards Visa-$5k

Blispay Visa-$5k

Chase Amazon Visa-$3k

Alliant Plat VIsa-$500 (this one will need to move next, or its history as well)

Pottery Barn-$36.3k

Macys-$21k

Bloomingdales-$21k

Home Depot-$15k

Target-$800

Tiffany &Co.-$4k (hidden tradline)

Message 25 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I been watching this for a couple of years now pizza and seen the same thing over and over again.

There are only so many such tied in "relationships" one (or a couple) can reasonably take on and so i learned to just chalk that part up to marketing tactic.

For example a US Bank cc that was in good standing over 5 years and it barely squeezed out a mere $3K for CLI's during that entire period.

It's just the way that some institutions expect it to be before they loosen strings but i highly agree with the fact we would have mountains of savings/checking accounts if that was a route to take which for most of us doesn't quite click with some sanity of maintaining.

By the way great to see you Smiley Happy

Always good to see you too CM7!!! Smiley Happy Miss your face around here! 

As far the "banking" relationships go..I hear ya...I barely have the strength to manage the ones I have now, lol..CC's are a dime a dozenSmiley Happy

Message 26 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@luxeprw9 wrote:

I understand your frustration, as I have been at my initial $500 SL since 2014!  LOL!  I was shot down for a increase last year - even though I was complimented on my excellent use and payment history!  LOL!

BUT I am willing to wait until my BK13 falls off next year to try for a CLI because I absolutely LOVE my banking/investment relationship with BOA/ML.  Even though the limit is small, I run about 80% of my spending thru this card and pay it off a couple of times per week.  It's attached to my checking, so it's just a few clicks - hardly an inconvenience.  Also,  I'm a Platinum Plus Honors client and the customer service is magnificent.  

I feel like my patience will be rewarded once my files are clean.  So until then, I wait........

Im sure your patience will pay off for you in the end.  Im not that patient, LOL..Look forward to seeing your posts about your new CL in the furture though! Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

Im done with lenders who arent willing to grow with me, and who can clearly see my other limits with other lenders, and not willing to look past my BK.  

Ive had my BOFA cc for a yr and a half now.  (Some here may say that its really not that long to have a card with a lender, but I say it is). Started as the 99/500 partially secure, and then unsecured at 5 months in June 2016, and a small cli to $1500 at that time.  My limit has been that for a year now.  Use/PIF/rinse and repeat, every single month for the last 18mo. 

My card has been fully unsecured for a year now, and 18mo of payment history with them, but yet still declined for a cli due to "bk". Whatever.....that was 4 yrs ago. The "senior credit analyst" are a joke. So, had to pay to unfreeze TU (mandatory in my state), and took a HP for nothing....again. 

I mean c'mon....you could have given me anything even 500 to move the CL some, but no. So, I closed it right then while on the phone. I have a feeling that my CL would have stayed that way till the BK fell off reports or dang close to it anyways, and Im not gonna wait 6 more years for a CLI with anyone...period. I think Ive proven myself since my BK.  I undertand its the lenders perrogative to approve or decline for whatever reasons, and I have same. 

a few data....BOFA was not IIB(never had a relationship with them in any way ever until now), my overall util reporting was at 1%, my BOFA cc was at $0 bal,  and not sure on score probally 679.  

Some of you might think it was a emotional reaction closing the card, or a stupid one because "they can grow big". True....for some thats the case, but not for all. Oh well, at least I cracked them post BK, so that challenge was done. I have plenty of other credit, and lenders that are growing nicely with me, and will love the extra swipes now. 

I get your frustrations and applaud you for the hard work and pay off that you have accomplished! Personal finances are just that; personal. While many will judge someone with a BK, many will never know the true story as to how a person or family got to that position. Many folks automatically assume it was just due to a person being irresponsible and may not understand that a person could have gotten hit by extreme health issues, long term job loss, etc. Each case is a special situation and I feel for each person who have had to go through that process. 

That being said, I alo can't blame BOA on their stance. Thier business is risk assessment and not good will. They look at a profile and see that only 4 years ago, somone essentially had to "walk away and wash their hands" from a tremendous amount of responsibility, leaving others (banks, other consumers, etc.) to pay for their mistakes or misfortune. Then they see that your current scores are under 700 and that they are being held down by many new inquiries and new accounts. I can see banks looking at this profile and being concerned that history may repeat itself. There is a reason why BK's stay on a person's record for 7+ years...It takes a looong time to re-establish credibility and show better established credit habits. I've personally found BOA to be fantastic to work with and very generous with their CLI's once your act is cleaned up. 

That being said, if you have better options/banks that will take a risk on you and you don't care about maintaining a relationship with BOA, then continue to rock on!

Im very well aware of the BK issues surrounding how long it stays on my reports (10yrs, btw), and the havoc that comes with that, and the scrutiny that I get from lenders, as it should be. But when when youve rebuilt as well as I have from a BK7, 1% total utilization reporting at any given time on reports, and high limit CC's already....I mean, cmon...

Message 28 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
pizza1 I read your post and it closely mirrors my exact experience with BofA. They would not budge and I closed them out. Truth, no problem not looking back. Circumstances follow yours and I looked for growth ... none!

yes indeed Dinosaur, I remember well your issues too.  Smiley Sad 

Message 29 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have pulled your FICO scores, you have seen the little risk slope that shows the likelihood of you falling behind in your payments. While you may think your risk to the bank is zero, it is in fact far from that. 679 is very close to the next tier below 670, where 28 percent of those folks go delinquent. In the end, credit it's just a numbers game, banks love you with money, and without, well not so much. 

those are just scores...and Id have scores in the 730-740 range right now if I hadnt gone bat $%#&^@ crazy with apps and new accts over the last 4 years Smiley Wink  Plus I have a paid tax lien and 6 IIB accts still showing. So actually, Im surprised its as high as it is Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.