Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I closed my accounts today

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I closed my accounts today

Well I closed 2 accounts today anyway...  I still have 14 left which is still a lot.  May look to close some more moving forward, but as of today goodbye Citi Simplicity and Barclaycard Rewards.  Don't let the door hit you on your way out of my portfolio!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
juggar
Contributor

Re: I closed my accounts today

Why would you do such? 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 2 of 57
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Just trimming the fat to make my life more manageable.  I fall in to the "close them if they aren't useful" camp.  I know it's not as big of a clique as the "SD everything for eternity" people but then I was never really one of the cool kids anyways.  Smiley Tongue

I originally got the Simplicity card to do a BT that I never actually wound up doing and I was never able to find any evidence that it could be PCd to anything else so I'm tired of looking at it.  I got Barclaycard Rewards hoping to build a relationship that would help me get approved for Sallie Mae but it didn't help.  They didn't care...

The 2 cards simply no longer had a place in my strategy so I cut em loose.  Diamond Preffered barely survived, I will PC it to Double Cash next month and hopefully breath new life into it.  BofA only survived because it's my oldest account.  At this point, my CR shows nearly as many closed accounts as it does open ones.  I just don't like sitting on cards that no longer fit into my plan.  Just a different way of thinking I guess.

Message 3 of 57
juggar
Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

Just trimming the fat to make my life more manageable.  I fall in to the "close them if they aren't useful" camp.  I know it's not as big of a clique as the "SD everything for eternity" people but then I was never really one of the cool kids anyways.  Smiley Tongue

I originally got the Simplicity card to do a BT that I never actually wound up doing and I was never able to find any evidence that it could be PCd to anything else so I'm tired of looking at it.  I got Barclaycard Rewards hoping to build a relationship that would help me get approved for Sallie Mae but it didn't help.  They didn't care...

The 2 cards simply no longer had a place in my strategy so I cut em loose.  Diamond Preffered barely survived, I will PC it to Double Cash next month and hopefully breath new life into it.  BofA only survived because it's my oldest account.  At this point, my CR shows nearly as many closed accounts as it does open ones.  I just don't like sitting on cards that no longer fit into my plan.  Just a different way of thinking I guess.

I dont think I would want that many closed accounts on my report ever... haha wouldnt that throw red flags to the credit analyst if you had to recon? 

I know if I was a credit analyst I would be asking you about the closed accounts as thats not normal behavior to close so many. 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

15+ inqs...
Message 4 of 57
baller4life
Super Contributor

Not normal? WTH? He only closed 2 cards, not 12. Closed accts remain 10 yrs on your report. Analysts don't care about them. Besides it will say Closed By Consumer. No big deal. Some people don't want a gazillion cards to keep up with. Especially if they serve no purpose! Nothing wrong at all with trimming the fat. I will be doing the same next year.

Message 5 of 57
juggar
Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

Not normal? WTH? He only closed 2 cards, not 12. Closed accts remain 10 yrs on your report. Analysts don't care about them. Besides it will say Closed By Consumer. No big deal. Some people don't want a gazillion cards to keep up with. Especially if they serve no purpose! Nothing wrong at all with trimming the fat. I will be doing the same next year.

"At this point, my CR shows nearly as many closed accounts as it does open ones."

Please read the post before commenting thanks.... OP has closed more than two. 

I would be asking questions if he had like 10+ accounts closed in the last few years...

15+ inqs...
Message 6 of 57
Involver
Valued Contributor

Closing accounts does not raise red flags unless you're repeatedly closing them with balances. If anything it shows you are trying to responsibly manage your accounts.
Message 7 of 57
baller4life
Super Contributor

Well I'm driving and missed that part. Sue me. Wac, If you're closing so many cards, why are you getting these particular cards in the first place? Sign up bonus?
Message 8 of 57
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Hey Wac. No shame in doing that. I've done the same thing with several cards I didn't need anymore or with cards that weren't growing or performing that well (like Fingerhut, Wal-Mart, and that Chevron card) and also what Baller said. The account still report either way for up to 10 years, it's utilization that's possibly affected in the short term. Also I always end up getting way better cards anyway so it's not really that big of a deal to me.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 57
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Good for you WAC. I am in the close them if you don't need them camp as well. I'm planning on trimming down to 8-10 cards, but am waiting until some of my cards hit one year old before closing (March 2015).

Frankly one of the biggest reasons is I'm tired on toting around this massive wallet with 16 credit card slots! Even though I've got several SDed, it's still a pain carrying around this mini trapper keeper.

Maybe if European man purses become suddenly fashionable (those guys always manage to look cool with those...lol) and I can throw all my cards in the purse. But I don't see those becoming "a la mode" anytime soon (at least not in suburban Minneapolis!!!)
Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.