cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd appreciate some help on which AMEX to app for in 3 months.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd appreciate some help on which AMEX to app for in 3 months.

I’d appreciate some insight on which AMEX card to app for in about 3 months. My credit profile looks like this:

Experian

I currently have one paid collection and one paid CO, but both are due to fall off in March and will not be on the report when I app. I have no lates. In other words, when I app, my Experian will be clean. My AAoA on Experian is 3.6 years. Before I app I will have 2 inquiries in the past six months, and 4 in the past year. My most recent Experian FICO score, from a few weeks ago on an app, was 655.

TU

I currently have the paid collection that is also listed on Experian, which will fall off in March. The only other negatives are five student loan lates, four from 2007 and 1 from 2008. I am about to attempt to GW them, but I don’t know if it will work. My AAoA on TU is 3.2 years. Before I app I will have no inquiries in the past six months and 3 in the past year. My most recent Wal-Mart TU Fico score was 652, but that was while the CO was still on my TU report. It fell off a couple of weeks ago, so I can’t wait to see what the score is next month. I closed the Wal-Mart account almost a year ago, but I still get the monthly Fico score.

Equifax

I currently have the paid CO listed here, which will fall off in March. The only other negative is a student loan late from August of 2008, which I hope to GW off, but not counting on it. My AAoA on Equifax is 2.8 years. Before I app I will have 3 inquiries in the past six months and the past year. I’m not sure of my Equifax Fico score, although my USAA monitoring product says it is 725, but that is obviously a Fako.

On all my reports I have credit cards consisting of NFCU Cash Rewards Visa with a 12,500 line that will have been opened 1 year and 4 months when I app…Chase Freedom with a 2500 line that will be open 1 year when I app…Discover More with a 1700 line that will be open 1 year when I app…Capital One Platinum MC with a 500 line that will be open 2 years and 2 months when I app. I will have a zero balance on all credit cards when I app. I have an auto loan since October of 2011 with Honda that is always paid on time with about 17,000 owed when I app. I have a consolidated federal student loan with a balance of around 70,000. It will be in deferment until after I graduate in June with a bachelor’s in accounting. My annual income is currently 41,000.

So, any opinions on which AMEX to app for? I can provide any other info that may be helpful. Thanks for any and all help.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'd appreciate some help on which AMEX to app for in 3 months.

Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at what your default spend is and then see what your score is come Aprilish when those derogatories drop off.

Right now I suspect you could get any of their charge cards, and you might be able to slip into some of their revolvers too if that's a better fit; however, from the sounds of it your reports and subsequent score will be better in a few months, so wait till that point and then make a decision.  Realistically I would expect you could mostly pick whatever you wanted and probably be OK at that point (as your report really isn't that bad to begin with) but it's hard to make predictions on how much weight an old significant derog will have in coming off.

        
Message 2 of 8
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

From everything I've read, and I'm not an expert, AMEX charge cards are supposed to be easier to get than a revolver. I have a revolver and was denied for a charge card with the scores listed in my sig. Then again, my AMEX was less than 2 months old at the time I applied for the PRG. I also had CC lates in 2007 (1 30) and 2008 (1 120). 

I've also read that the Green/Gold/PRG are basically equally easy/difficult to get. You just have to decided what annual fee/rewards you're willing to pay/get.

You can check out http://whogavemecredit.com/

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 3 of 8
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Yes definately wait till your CO falls of in March and apply for a charge card with AMEX. They pull EX, but if you are borderline then they could pull another CR. Good luck and welcome to the forums. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

Yes definately wait till your CO falls of in March and apply for a charge card with AMEX. They pull EX, but if you are borderline then they could pull another CR. Good luck and welcome to the forums. 

+1 !

Waiting til March for those negatives to fall off, will likely result in a bit of a bump in your EX score.  That 655 should move up some, could be a bit closer to 700 at that time.  Your balance on your auto loan will also be down a bit.  Your overall picture will look better in early April than it does now.  Your EX score is really the only one to be concerned about with AMEX, since they pull EX almost exclusively. 

The charge cards anecdotally are easier to get than the revolvers.  If you use the SEARCH function here, put in "easiest AMEX" and you'll get a goodly number of responses.  If you really must have a revolver,  the Clear is a no-frills revolver, but I've heard they may not be taking new applications, don't know that for sure.  One of the Blue cards might also work for you. And again anecdotally, I've read that the Gold Delta SkyMiles card is easy to get, since it's co-branded and may have more relaxed underwriting requirements. 

Message 5 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on your spending catagories,  you should look at either Green, Gold, or Premier Rewards Gold. 

I suggest starting with one of these charge cards, and then app in Jan 2014 for a revolver, if there is one that you've been eyeing.

Too bad Zync is not around, you'd be a shoe - in for Zync

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 8
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at what your default spend is and then see what your score is come Aprilish when those derogatories drop off.

Right now I suspect you could get any of their charge cards, and you might be able to slip into some of their revolvers too if that's a better fit; however, from the sounds of it your reports and subsequent score will be better in a few months, so wait till that point and then make a decision.  Realistically I would expect you could mostly pick whatever you wanted and probably be OK at that point (as your report really isn't that bad to begin with) but it's hard to make predictions on how much weight an old significant derog will have in coming off.

+1

I recommend waiting until March and your baddies drop off.  If all info is correct that has been relayed to us- your income supports you debt- and you have shown a pattern of good spending habits with your other tradelines- then you will be good to go for any of their products in my opinion.  Smiley Happy Congrats on your credit achievements!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 8
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I’d appreciate some insight on which AMEX card to app for in about 3 months. My credit profile looks like this:

Experian

I currently have one paid collection and one paid CO, but both are due to fall off in March and will not be on the report when I app. I have no lates. In other words, when I app, my Experian will be clean. My AAoA on Experian is 3.6 years. Before I app I will have 2 inquiries in the past six months, and 4 in the past year. My most recent Experian FICO score, from a few weeks ago on an app, was 655.

TU

I currently have the paid collection that is also listed on Experian, which will fall off in March. The only other negatives are five student loan lates, four from 2007 and 1 from 2008. I am about to attempt to GW them, but I don’t know if it will work. My AAoA on TU is 3.2 years. Before I app I will have no inquiries in the past six months and 3 in the past year. My most recent Wal-Mart TU Fico score was 652, but that was while the CO was still on my TU report. It fell off a couple of weeks ago, so I can’t wait to see what the score is next month. I closed the Wal-Mart account almost a year ago, but I still get the monthly Fico score.

Equifax

I currently have the paid CO listed here, which will fall off in March. The only other negative is a student loan late from August of 2008, which I hope to GW off, but not counting on it. My AAoA on Equifax is 2.8 years. Before I app I will have 3 inquiries in the past six months and the past year. I’m not sure of my Equifax Fico score, although my USAA monitoring product says it is 725, but that is obviously a Fako.

On all my reports I have credit cards consisting of NFCU Cash Rewards Visa with a 12,500 line that will have been opened 1 year and 4 months when I app…Chase Freedom with a 2500 line that will be open 1 year when I app…Discover More with a 1700 line that will be open 1 year when I app…Capital One Platinum MC with a 500 line that will be open 2 years and 2 months when I app. I will have a zero balance on all credit cards when I app. I have an auto loan since October of 2011 with Honda that is always paid on time with about 17,000 owed when I app. I have a consolidated federal student loan with a balance of around 70,000. It will be in deferment until after I graduate in June with a bachelor’s in accounting. My annual income is currently 41,000.

So, any opinions on which AMEX to app for? I can provide any other info that may be helpful. Thanks for any and all help.

unless you absolutely are set on app'ing in march (after co's fall off), if it were me, i would probably wait until after graduation in june when you can app with a higher income (assuming that you will get a job with significantly higher income than your current  $41k.. .  although my assumption re salaries/demand for accountants might be wrong Smiley Happy )   

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.