cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like a new credit card... Which cards should I be applying for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like a new credit card... Which cards should I be applying for?

I just checked my Equifax score, and it looks like its 772.  I would like a new credit card as a "just in case."  I use my Amex Zync card 99% of the time, but I'd like something else: A) If somewhere doesn't accept American Express or B) Just for additional bonuses (cash back, points, etc).  I also plan on buying a laptop ASAP, so if I'm able to get a card that has 6-12 months of 0% financing that'd be very beneficial.  I was just going to go to Best Buy and take advantage of their 0% 18 month financing, but I'd rather have a card I can continually use (I rarely, if ever shop at Best Buy lol).

Is there a resource, or does anyone know what kind of cards I should be applying for in this range?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: I'd like a new credit card... Which cards should I be applying for?

Well since you are looking to mainly use it in the event someone doesn't accept AMEX there is a chance they will not accept Visa or Discover either so I'd stick with Mastercard for 99.99% acceptance worldwide. I would also stick with a no foreign transaction fee card since if you ever plan to travel you won't use your AMEX due to lack of acceptance and foreign transaction fees. So a no foreign transaction fee Mastercard..

The choice that would come to my mind would be the Chase Sapphire Preferred Mastercard with a 40,000 point ($400+) sign up bonus although after the first year you would have to justify the $95 AF, which isn't hard to do if you use it for the 2% food/travel. This card is 15% with no 0% intro, but I'm sure the sign-up bonus would offset any interest charge.

Don't forget, you have to go through Mastercard.com to get the Mastercard version CSP application.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 6
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

We can't said anything since we don't know your credit file........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 6
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

If you want to finance a computer, and want to go Mac, you can do the Apple Financing Visa card from Barclays. They run 0% for 12 months all of the time. Pretty generous with CL, too.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 6
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

I'd say Chase Sapphire Preferred or Capital One Venture

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could look at the Chase Freedom card.  It has 15 months of 0% and is a solid cashback card.  Since the Amex you have is a Zync, I assume you don't travel frequently.  If you do, you should take a look at the Sapphire Preferred.  It doesn't have a 0% offer, but even if you do have to carry a balance, the signup bonus will make up for that.  Also, all of Capitol One's products waive forex fees.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.