Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't know...

tag
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I didn't know...

credit card companies check public records. At least I know for certain PenFed does. I don't know about the others.

Let me explain. A couple of weeks ago I got locked out of my wife's online account. I don't know why. She had to call in to unlock. Simple enough. Just had to select a different security question and we're set. A week later same thing. Had to call in. This time they grilled her on everything. She answered everything except we didn't know the security image and the pin #. The front line rep wasn't satisfied and was going to transfer the call to his supervisor. The supervisor went through the same drill with one additional question. She wanted to know what month and year we purchased our last home. She answered correctly, 10/2011. The supervisor said that is correct. My wife asked her how she knew this information since there is no mortgage reporting (this was a cash sale) on any of our credit reports. She replied public records.

Is this normal? Do they all do that? I realize anyone can access our public records. That's why they are called public. Just seems a little extreme for for a credit card.

Anyway, I had to change one security question again and will unlock. She also said she will be sending a new pin # and to keep it handy the next time we call in.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: I didn't know...

@OnTheRebound wrote:

credit card companies check public records. At least I know for certain PenFed does. I don't know about the others.

Let me explain. A couple of weeks ago I got locked out of my wife's online account. I don't know why. She had to call in to unlock. Simple enough. Just had to select a different security question and we're set. A week later same thing. Had to call in. This time they grilled her on everything. She answered everything except we didn't know the security image and the pin #. The front line rep wasn't satisfied and was going to transfer the call to his supervisor. The supervisor went through the same drill with one additional question. She wanted to know what month and year we purchased our last home. She answered correctly, 10/2011. The supervisor said that is correct. My wife asked her how she knew this information since there is no mortgage reporting (this was a cash sale) on any of our credit reports. She replied public records.

Is this normal? Do they all do that? I realize anyone can access our public records. That's why they are called public. Just seems a little extreme for for a credit card.

Anyway, I had to change one security question again and will unlock. She also said she will be sending a new pin # and to keep it handy the next time we call in.

Public records are part of an app and the credit process

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I knew they did for a mortgage app but certainly not for a credit card. How could they with an instant approval? Does the system automatically check? However, 3 years ago when my wife apped PenFed we didn't have a mortgage either but they had plenty of time to check her out thoroughly since it took them well over a week to approve her.

So I guess they check public records regularly like they do credit reports since they knew about our new home purchase about 18 months ago.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@OnTheRebound wrote:

I knew they did for a mortgage app but certainly not for a credit card. How could they with an instant approval? Does the system automatically check? However, 3 years ago when my wife apped PenFed we didn't have a mortgage either but they had plenty of time to check her out thoroughly since it took them well over a week to approve her.

So I guess they check public records regularly like they do credit reports since they knew about our new home purchase about 18 months ago.

Somewhere on your reports its listed but if you look at a CR you will see a public records section usually for Tax liens anything filed through a court.

They have a way to find all info if they look hard enough...lexus nexus is another type of report that stores info about you. There's about 2 more but the names skip me right nowSmiley Embarassed

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 11
lonewolf210
Established Member

Hmm well that might explain why chase took so long on approving me. I have an arrest on my record, the charges where dropped but the arrest still stays. I'm curious if that does matter   

Message 5 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Public records are tax liens, bankruptcies, judgments, etc. One's criminal record is not part of your cr report
Message 6 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@lonewolf210 wrote:

Hmm well that might explain why chase took so long on approving me. I have an arrest on my record, the charges where dropped but the arrest still stays. I'm curious if that does matter   

T.M.I.F.

No No No not that kind of court 

Suits liens those types Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 11
lonewolf210
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
Public records are tax liens, bankruptcies, judgments, etc. One's criminal record is not part of your cr report

Arrests are a part of your public record and things like fraud, ect would only show up there so it wouldn't have surprised me that much

Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@lonewolf210 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Arrests are a part of your public record and things like fraud, ect would only show up there so it wouldn't have surprised me that much

Those show up under your SS# not on CR

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 11
lonewolf210
Established Member

@myjourney wrote:

@lonewolf210 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Those show up under your SS# not on CR

They ask for your SSN as part of the app wouldn't have been any harder to pull up but I digress. Really not a big deal anyways

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.