janice12

I do cheap things with my Amex

[ Edited ]

I would use it for McDonald's dollar meal; shop at Target and Walmart weekly; use it at safeway to get a roll of bread; use it at the local coffee shop (not starbucks) for a small latte........it's probably the reason why AMEX never auto CLI me,and has my CL stuck at $4000 for 7 years, approved me a new SPG card with a CL $2500 while charging me $65 annual fee:smileyvery-happy:

Valued Contributor
MrShush

Re: I do cheap things with my Amex

Maybe with all of their data mining, crystal ball gazing, and statistical predictors, you've pigeon-holed yourself as a cheapskate? LOL

janice12

MrShush wrote:

Maybe with all of their data mining, crystal ball gazing, and statistical predictors, you've pigeon-holed yourself as a cheapskate? LOL

yeah!  I hope one day Amex would talk to me like "what can we do for you "cheapskate" when I call the CSR! that would be fun!

New Contributor
kbell

I use my Amex Blue every other month or two, generally putting less than $50. During the past two years, I have not charged more than $175 in a month. Amex has not touched me yet, though they have every reason to do so. I'm like the prom date that gets ignored.

Recently, I did a simulated charge on my card to see if I could make a $18,000 purchase and it was "approved." Now, all I have to do is find a dealer who is willing to let me charge the entire amount for a Civic on my Blue card via the American Express Auto Purchasing Program...18,000 points would be nice.

Established Contributor
Ulan

MrShush wrote:

I think that's how it works. I noticed that my CLI button disappeared after I had not traveled in a while.

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

[ Edited ]

janice12 wrote:

I would use it for McDonald's dollar meal; shop at Target and Walmart weekly; use it at safeway to get a roll of bread; use it at the local coffee shop (not starbucks) for a small latte........it's probably the reason why AMEX never auto CLI me,and has my CL stuck at $4000 for 7 years, approved me a new SPG card with a CL $2500 while charging me $65 annual fee:smileyvery-happy:

I don't ever remember reading about an AmEx auto CLI.

At the moment, I don't have a luv button either. I suppose it's been too soon since I hit it. But I've used my Blue (and Gold before that) in all sorts of tacky places, and I did go from $2500 to $5000..

But it might help to run some big charges through.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
beeks

AmEx CLI button disappeared as they want you to call and talk about it first. it was there about 4 months ago but they removed most literature relating to it from the site.

Currently 750 > Goal 800 @ age 24.
AmEx Blue Cash - $16000 @ 13.74% APY
Discover More - $7500 @ 17% APY
Chase Freedom - $3000 @ 16% APY
BAC Americard - $5000 @ 20%APY
Household income - $45k :smileywink:
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

A-ha, thanks for that info!

Nope, I don't introduce the topic with any CSR's. :smileywink:

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
ifinet

[ Edited ]

Hmm...its always good to know that nobody else uses their membership points to pay for lawnmower gas fill-ups...

Aoi

I don't have a love button either on AMEX, ever since they replaced it with that "Check your spending ability" link. My last CLI with AMEX was almost a year ago? Definitely over 6 months.

I use my AMEX everywhere it's accepted, from the high end stores to bi-weekly Walmart trips for groceries. All McD/junkfood trips, even the middle of the night ones go on AMEX if the vendor accepts it. No AA so far (knock on wood). Just run a bunch of charges through them and PIF every month (before statement for FICO game), and so far it seems to be working for me :smileyhappy:

PS: How do you buy gas with points? XD

-------------------------------------
8/2010 TU: 718 EQ: 721
Thank you myFICO forums!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}