Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand capital one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand capital one

So, I've had my secured cap 1 since september last yr. I increased my limit to 650(all secured). Got a secured cc from my credit union at the same time. I havent been prequalified on their site since. Yet, i started with my moms around october and she doesn't use cc, but she gave them it to me to use. Seems like i'm building my mom's credit better than my own.Smiley Frustrated SHe was approved for the quicsilver 1 with a $300 limit in october. I've been using it like my own and keeping utl @ 7%. i was checking her prequalifying also. Back last month, another quicksilver 1 popped up and said congrats, so i applied. She was approved for $500 this time. Same day did it again for the platinum because it said congrats, got the 7-10 day msg. However, they both arrieved in the mail the same day. That one also was aa $500 cl. Which brings me to here, yesterday on the 1st quicksilver 1, i  went online for a credit limit increase. Bam, instantly $500 cli, so now that one is at $800. Now, why in the H*** can't i get anything when i have drasticly repaired my credit since the secured card?Sorry for venting, But has anyone else been threw this? Any light at the end of the tunnel for some good credit cards? I'm getting very discouraged now.Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I don't understand capital one

Are you 'opted out' for prequal offers? If your not sure, do you ever recieve card offers in the mail?

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was opted out about 2 months back for a fraud alert, but those are off. i asked to be opted back in when i saw it on my credit report. i called all 3 beaureas.

Message 3 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP, 

I moved your thread to the correct forum.  In the future, you can notify a MOD by using our Report Inappropriate Button and requesting a thread to be moved, instead of posting duplicate threads.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 16
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

It seems like once you opt out you never seem to get any more pre-qual things. I opted out awhile and opted back in late last year and I still don't get any pre-qual thing online or mailers.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you get CapOne to increase that quickly? I tried the online cli button at 4 months and got declined. I received a letter and the only reason it listed was that my account hadnt been open for 6 months. I called to recon and got flat out denied. The rep told me under no circumstances will they ever give a cli to any account less than 6 months old. Please let know your secret!!
Message 6 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
How did you get CapOne to increase that quickly? I tried the online cli button at 4 months and got declined. I received a letter and the only reason it listed was that my account hadnt been open for 6 months. I called to recon and got flat out denied. The rep told me under no circumstances will they ever give a cli to any account less than 6 months old. Please let know your secret!!

That's not entirely true. EO increased my QS well before 6 months. You just have to polite and convincing. Of course, that doesn't mean sucess 100% of the time but they will overturn the 6 month rule if you are lucky.

Luv button though....definitely have to wait the 6 months. Their system will just auto decline anything that's "too new".

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

EO is becoming less useful as the secret gets out unfortunately. I gave them multiple chances with my QS Visa and they failed repeatedly. I am content with my Venture as it is inherently one of their prime products. CS is still spotty but you take the good with the bad.
Message 8 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
EO is becoming less useful as the secret gets out unfortunately. I gave them multiple chances with my QS Visa and they failed repeatedly. I am content with my Venture as it is inherently one of their prime products. CS is still spotty but you take the good with the bad.

I don't know if that's really the case. I would agree that it sounded like you should have gotten a CLI on your QS, but were you using it heavily? They like heavy usage and without that you are unlikely to get them to budge on CLI, EO or not. If they don't feel you need it, they won't give it. Just because you call the EO does not mean, for example, if you had a SD or lightly used QS for 3 years, that you can be like "well now I want it to be $20k" and they say "We're the EO, so okay, done!". It doesn't work that way.  It's an extreme example (and I know that it wasn't your exact situation), but it represents the attitude some people have toward EO.

It doesn't make them "less useful". It's not you, Nixon, but I think people tend to get this perception that an EO is a magic wand and whatever you ask them for, they'll give you, no questions asked. They still have criteria, procedures, and rules to follow no matter what. They are simply enabled to make more decisions than a normal CSR. It does not mean they can give you whatever you want.

The EO was helpful to me, but I would not call them less useful if they had denied my CLI. Again, I don't expect to always be approved for everything I want. For example, Chase's EO has told me they won't reduce my Amazon Visa APR, pretty much never, they just won't reduce it. That doesn't mean I find them less useful than any other EO. They simply have policies in front of them that they have to follow and it is what it is. In your case, evidently you were not meeting some random criteria to grow your QS Visa.

As much as we like to think these companies are senseless, and they make some strange moves sometimes, there is typically a reason behind it. We may not like it, but there's a policy in place for everything and if we don't meet the criteria of said policy, they're gonna say no. EO or not. It's not really a secret to contact them, at least not with us on these forums. They can overturn some things, but it doesn't mean you'll get whatever you ask for.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had actually been running a decent amount of spend thru my QS Visa until I started meeting my app o rama spend bonuses. Even in light of this they couldn't seem to do anything for my account.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.