cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand "miles" or "points" (CSP and United)

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I don't understand "miles" or "points" (CSP and United)

I would like to apply for the CSP or new United Explorer card because we tend to mostly fly United.  When you earn "miles" or "points" - what exactly does this mean?  I don't really get how it equates to airline reservations?

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/Sapphire.htm?CELL=6154&BT=SapphireArt

Say I get the 40k points from the CSP, how does that translate to $500 in travel rewards? 

Would a CSP or United card be better for someone like me, who almost always flies United?

Thanks in advance.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I don't understand "miles" or "points" (CSP and United)

Humbling following along on this one, because the part of my brain that is supposed to be able to understand points and miles has never worked.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Humbling following along on this one, because the part of my brain that is supposed to be able to understand points and miles has never worked.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I would like to apply for the CSP or new United Explorer card because we tend to mostly fly United.  When you earn "miles" or "points" - what exactly does this mean?  I don't really get how it equates to airline reservations?

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/Sapphire.htm?CELL=6154&BT=SapphireArt

Say I get the 40k points from the CSP, how does that translate to $500 in travel rewards? 

Would a CSP or United card be better for someone like me, who almost always flies United?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Clocktick:

With Chase's UR Rewards, here's the best way to do it when flying with UA.

Apply for the UA Explorer (1st year fee waived, and 50k bonus on first charge - no spend requirement), and CSP (use the 50k promo link before April 3rd by 10 a.m. eastern time).  I applied for both within 30 days and both were instantly approved.  I spoke with Chase and they assured me there's no "30 day" rule between application. As always - YMMV may vary on this.

Here's what you do.  Meet the spend requirement on your CSP.  You'll have approx 53K - 55K UR points depending on what your spending was on since there's 2X on travel and dining.  When your points posts, move them to your UA mileage plus account.

This should give you about 100,000 - 105,000 UA miles.  With the Explorer card, there's no blackout dates since you're considered an "Elite" member.  You have two options to redeem:

1.  For 100,000 miles, you can redeem just about any "standard" business class flight wherever UA/Continental flies.  If you search for offpeak when both a business class and first class seat is available on the same flight, you can redeem first class for an extra 20,000 miles.  So, you can actually redeem for a first class flight to Asia for 120,000 miles, which is worth around $4K usd, give or take.

2.  UA is a Star Alliance member, and you can use the UA miles to redeem any flights through the Star Alliance network.  The best values are off peak business class flights to Europe or Asia.  For example, if you find a nice deal on ANA to Tokyo, you can use your UA miles to purchase the ticket on ANA through Alliance.  Some great deals can be had if you're vigilant and opportunistic.

That's basically it.  

If you redeem this way, the value received will far exceed the $1,000 in cash equivalent for the rewards accrued.

Message 4 of 13
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

+1

+2

I'm earning points on my Amex Green that I intend to put towards travel later this year, and I've never done this before. This will be a learning experience for me. I hope someone here can help us all to understand!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 13
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

I hit the "Post" button a second or two after you did, Open. Thanks for the detailed post. I hope that this helps the OP get the most bang for the buck out of the United card.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

+1

+2

I'm earning points on my Amex Green that I intend to put towards travel later this year, and I've never done this before. This will be a learning experience for me. I hope someone here can help us all to understand!

If I get green a year from now can all of the points I have from Zync convert to the full MR points to green?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

+1

+2

For flights, MR points are even better since you can move them to any airline on the MR network on demand.  Also, there are times when you receive a bonus when transferring, such as 50% etc...

This way, you only move them when you spot a great deal.  The points aren't captive and never expire.

Message 8 of 13
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

+1

+2

For flights, MR points are even better since you can move them to any airline on the MR network on demand.  Also, there are times when you receive a bonus when transferring, such as 50% etc...

This way, you only move them when you spot a great deal.  The points aren't captive and never expire.

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Thank you, Open123.

So it seems as if it's a better deal to use for foreign travel vs. domestic?  Also, can these points always transfer back and forth to each other?  Do either set of points ever expire?  Lastly, I assume I have to book a flight through a Chase site to redeem?  Oh, and I already have the Freedom - would that deter me from getting 2 more Chase cards?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.