Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want the card!!

tag
cldavis04
Valued Member

I don't want the card!!

I was approved for a card but it has a high AF and Maintenance Fee.  I DON'T want the card.  If I don't activate the card does that mean that the account is never officially opened or do I have to call and tell them to cancel?

Starting Score: 624
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I don't want the card!!

At this point, it will report even if you don't activate it.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you dont activate the card, you wont have to pay the annual fee and your card will report to the credit bureau's as closed for next 10 years . You can also call them and cancel the card, they might offer to waive the annual fee.

Message 3 of 17
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@cldavis04 wrote:

I was approved for a card but it has a high AF and Maintenance Fee.  I DON'T want the card.  If I don't activate the card does that mean that the account is never officially opened or do I have to call and tell them to cancel?

Curious as to whyy you would app for a CC with high fees if you didn't want it. Anyway, to answer your question: in all liklihood, the card will still report on your CR as a new acct and affect your AAoA. I'd call the CCC and tell them you changed your mind and don't want the CC as aks if they will NOT report it to the CRBs. . It's really up to them to choose NOT to report it to the CR. Usuallly it will report and there's nothing you can do.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

^^^^^^^^This.  It's in big bold numbers, is it not?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 17
cldavis04
Valued Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. 

I am still in the rebuilding stage.  I originally applied for a card that I felt I had a chance of obtaining.  Then after talking with some other posters who had similar scores and reports, I applied for a better card with no AF and lower interest rate.  I was approved for that card with a much higher credit limit than the initial card (MC).  Had I known that I would have a chance of getting the Discover card initially, I would never have applied for the other card.

Message 6 of 17
dharalex
Established Contributor

Don't leave anything to chance. Call a cancel the account. I would also confirm no AF has been assessed.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 7 of 17
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@cldavis04 wrote:

What card is it?

Message 8 of 17
cldavis04
Valued Member

It's the BestBuy Reward Zone Master Card.  It automatically applied and approved me for this card when it wouldn't for the store card when I completed the application online. 

Message 9 of 17
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@cldavis04 wrote:

It's the BestBuy Reward Zone Master Card.  It automatically applied and approved me for this card when it wouldn't for the store card when I completed the application online. 

I wanted that card! I know people will think that I'm crazy but after capital one has it it will be a lot better. I don't care what anyone saids I love capital one!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.