cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like AMEX's current revolvers are kinda crappy.

tag
neverrain
New Contributor

Re: I feel like AMEX's current revolvers are kinda crappy.

Yea, I probably should have pointed out that my fiance currently has a BCP, which up until this point, we have been using for groceries (I have an AU card).  We decided to stop using it to split simply because dealing with figuring out half the bill has become a chore that neither of us want to deal with (we do use it at Costco, but she uses it for things like contacts).  More of a one less annoyance per month thing.  I wanted to pay into it twice a month, she wanted me to wait for once a month.  Just rather  not mess with it.

I don't really need it for Costco so much.  She usually stop there by herself (paper towels and TP) after work.  I got screwed out of a membership.  She splits one with her mom, and my dad splits one with my step mom, so I don't go much.

I guess that answers a few of the questions.  I will just be holding off until something better comes around I guess.  I don't need to app for one.

Thanks for all your answers.

Message 21 of 38
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

Fidelity Amex is BofA? Do you need a Fidelity account with them?

You need one to redeem the rewards (and get the 2% CB). Otherwise you get the crappy WorldPoints conversions. It's really easy to get one plus it has no monthly fees or minimum balance requirements.

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

why don't you let her use her BCP and she can pay it as she pleases and you use whatever card you want and you pay it as you please?
Message 23 of 38
neverrain
New Contributor

@ That's exactly what we are going to start doing.  I figured Sallie Mae was the best choice because I buy ~$200 in gas a month as well.  I can't justify the AF of the BCP with ~$200 in groceries (each) a month (even though it is ~$144 a year in rewards), or else I would pick it up.  I'm clearing more rewards with Sallie Mae than the BCP with the AF.

EDIT - I have no idea how to quote someone on this forum, heh.

Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

you just did lol.
Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh nvm. are you on mobile or desktop? you can't do it on mobile. on desktop you can click "reply" to someone's comment and then click "quote" and type as you wish!
Message 26 of 38
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@neverrain wrote:

I really want to apply for an Amex card just to do business with them, but I honestly can't think of a single card I would put to use:

Have:

Discover IT - Used for rotating 5%

Quiksilver - Essentially the catch-all, for things out of category.

Planning in the very near future:

Chase Freedom - Will PC once I pay off the BT on my new Slate card.  Used for rotating 5%

Sallie Mae - Will apply once my last $200 is paid off on my current BarclayRewards card.

Between these 4 cards, I really only spend money on gas, groceries, restaurants (occasionally), and various clothing, household type purchases (which could fall under the 5% cards above).

I was thinking about picking up a Serve card to churn with and pay rent, etc.  Things, I can't put on credit cards, but I would likely go with the Fidelity Amex if I did (provided that still works for loading Serve).  Is there something I am missing in their cards?  My fiance picked up an Arrival+ card for travel stuff for us, which she uses for day to day and bills she can run through it, but I honestly can't see where I would use it with the above.

If I have to pick out of all my Amex cards, I will pick the EDP. You can easily rack up ton of MR points as shown in my calculator..  I didn't really realize how easy it si rack those points until I made this.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D1822762FA44E911!143858&authkey=!AOlOOk4T3Zm9Vuc&ithint=file%2...

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ that's neat. good work
Message 28 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CarbonCard wrote:

@neverrain wrote:

I really want to apply for an Amex card just to do business with them, but I honestly can't think of a single card I would put to use:

Have:

Chase Freedom - Will PC once I pay off the BT on my new Slate card.  Used for rotating 5%

Sallie Mae - Will apply once my last $200 is paid off on my current BarclayRewards card.

Between these 4 cards, I really only spend money on gas, groceries, restaurants (occasionally), and various clothing, household type purchases (which could fall under the 5% cards above).

I was thinking about picking up a Serve card to churn with and pay rent, etc.  Things, I can't put on credit cards, but I would likely go with the Fidelity Amex if I did (provided that still works for loading Serve).  Is there something I am missing in their cards?  My fiance picked up an Arrival+ card for travel stuff for us, which she uses for day to day and bills she can run through it, but I honestly can't see where I would use it with the above.

If I have to pick out of all my Amex cards, I will pick the EDP. You can easily rack up ton of MR points as shown in my calculator..  I didn't really realize how easy it si rack those points until I made this.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D1822762FA44E911!143858&authkey=!AOlOOk4T3Zm9Vuc&ithint=file%2...

Just one correction.  You haven't taken into account grocery caps on things like ED/EDP and SM.    So on the first two, if you spend more than $6K, it drops to a 1MR rate (before bonus) and Sallie Mae switches to 1% after $3K (on grocery and gas)

Message 29 of 38
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CarbonCard wrote:

@neverrain wrote:

Have:

Just one correction.  You haven't taken into account grocery caps on things like ED/EDP and SM.    So on the first two, if you spend more than $6K, it drops to a 1MR rate (before bonus) and Sallie Mae switches to 1% after $3K (on grocery and gas)

I did take those into account, but I'm not a math/excel wiz so It's assumed that we all know the cap. Smiley Wink

If you know, or know someone how to change the formula, feel free to change it lol.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.