cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like we should app for one more card... suggestions?

tag
jnc
Contributor

I feel like we should app for one more card... suggestions?

My husband is AU on two of my cards (BofA rewards and Sears MC). And we just got him approved for a Chase Slate today.

Denied for the Discover IT unfortunately.

The idea is to get him some of his own credit (not just AUs) in preparation for mortgage shopping next year.

So, I feel like at least one more card of his own would be good.

Just not sure what to app for.

We would like the Chase Freedom but I figured we'd just try to change the Slate over to the Freedom after we take advantage of their 0% transfer fee and pay the transferred balance off, rather than app for 2 Chase cards.  Thinking this because I see no real advantage to holding onto a Slate after the BT offer is over.

Other than that and the Discover, the only other card we'd been considering was the BCP but I just got approved for that one myself so no need to double up.

Are there any other cards out there that he has a good shot at being approved for, that have some worthy rewards or somesuch? His score just hit 702 on myfico scorewatch yesterday. (Although Discover seemed to think its a 580).

Any ideas?

TIA!

-C-

J & C
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I feel like we should app for one more card... suggestions?

Maybe Sallie Mae might be good for him?

If not Sallie Mae, I would urge him to consider an Amex product to get his MSD as early as is possible.
Message 2 of 6
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

apply for a credit one credit card. good benefits.
Message 3 of 6
tommywerdine
Regular Contributor

Recon with Discover. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain! You never know! Congrats to him on the Slate! Smiley Happy

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards $10k | TobyHanna FCU $10k | Black Card $5k | NFCU goRewards $2.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred $2k | DCU Plat Rewards $2k | Huntington Voice $1250 | AmEx Delta $1k | Cap1 QS $300 | Cap1 Secured $500 | J Crew $4.9k | Walmart $2.5k | Kay $1k | Jareds $1k | HomeDepot $1k | FingerHut $900 | Macys $800 | Phillips66 $750 | Buckle $300 | Express $250 In The Garden Since: August 4, 2014. TU FICO: 711 (via Walmart) | EQ FICO: 699 | EX FICO: 677 Goals:700+ on all three.
Message 4 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:
apply for a credit one credit card. good benefits.

?

Message 5 of 6
jnc
Contributor

Thank you.

I will check out Sallie Mae.

I heard that adding him as an AU on my new Amex will also set his MSD. Is this not true? If not, I'll see about getting him his own.

Regarding recon on the Discover, my husband really doesn't want to be involved in any of this. Ha. He earns the money but I do all the finance related stuff. I enjoy it Smiley Wink So I doubt I'll get him do call them. Guess it can't hurt to mention it though Smiley Wink

-C-

J & C
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.