cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel that Capital One is being very Harsh!!

tag
KG1978
Valued Member

I feel that Capital One is being very Harsh!!

My first credit card was the Capital One Platinum Visa. I acquired this card 10 YEARS & 3 MONTHS ago!!!! My starting limit was $300 with a 14.9 APR.  As of today my limit is $300 with a 14.9% APR. I have a 30 day late followed by a 60 day late from 2006. I have requested a CLI increase about 5 times and a product change once (recently). Each time I've been told my account is not eligible. Is it me or them? Is it this type of card? I think I've proven myself as worthy  in the past six years with my perfect usage and payment history. What the HELL-O KITTY is wrong with them? The worst thing about this is, I have no power because its my oldest card.  I have no annual fee but I still feel robbed because I'm sure I deserve some type of growth in my account with them.

My Wallet: Best Buy Store ($750), Care Credit ($4000) GE Broyll Hill ($6000), Amex Green Card, Citi Dividend MC ($6800), Citi Thank you Preferred ($9800), Amazon Store Card ($2500), Victorias Secret ($1550), Kohls ($600), AF ($1300), Crate and Barrel ($4750) Discover Miles ($5000), Blue Cash Everyday ($3000), Walmart Discover($5800), Target ($500), Blue Cash Preferred(2000) and Chase Freedom($3000), Amex Gold Delta (9200).
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: I feel that Capital One is being very Harsh!!

That's crazy to have had the card for over 10yrs and never a CLI...i'm really not sure what to tell ya.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have some pretty nice cards already.  If this one isn't costing you an AF, just cut it up and let it continue to sit.  Is there a reason you care about this card so much?

Message 3 of 21
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You have some pretty nice cards already.  If this one isn't costing you an AF, just cut it up and let it continue to sit.  Is there a reason you care about this card so much?

seems like more of a "principle" thing to me

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 4 of 21
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

@KG1978 wrote:

My first credit card was the Capital One Platinum Visa. I acquired this card 10 YEARS & 3 MONTHS ago!!!! My starting limit was $300 with a 14.9 APR.  As of today my limit is $300 with a 14.9% APR. I have a 30 day late followed by a 60 day late from 2006. I have requested a CLI increase about 5 times and a product change once (recently). Each time I've been told my account is not eligible. Is it me or them? Is it this type of card? I think I've proven myself as worthy  in the past six years with my perfect usage and payment history. What the HELL-O KITTY is wrong with them? The worst thing about this is, I have no power because its my oldest card.  I have no annual fee but I still feel robbed because I'm sure I deserve some type of growth in my account with them.

You say it's your oldest card... is it the oldest by more than a year? If it's not I say call them, speaking to someone in charge and threaten to cancel the card if they don't PC or CLI.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 5 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

seems like more of a "principle" thing to me

Well it is and they suck (and yes I keep opening one!)

Close it, move on.

Now, an even better question... Why am I seeing a First Premier in your list??! CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE!!!

Message 6 of 21
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

@KG1978 wrote:

They don't give CLI to customers without any derogs, so doubtful you would receive 1. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 7 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CK_Charles_Lover wrote:

@KG1978 wrote:

They don't give CLI to customers without any derogs, so doubtful you would receive 1. 

Are you saying they "Wont" or Will" give CLI when you have a late or something else?

1. According to poster the account was opened 10 years ago... I assume back then maybe some baddies and still got approved and then even if the statement is true that they won't give CLI with baddies on report, The card was open for YEARS before these lates came and now the lates from 2006, I mean we are 5-6 years past that... That isn't the reason Capital One is sitting tight at that $300... it's just because they are NOT GETTING IT!

But at the same time maybe they are getting it just how they want it... Look at Target Bank... Known for issueing low limit cards and never moving, I think most tolerate a little more because $200 or $300 at Target seems low if you have a Super Target, or if you want to order big things offline or Tv's, etc. in store but when you had the Visa/MC, Amex, Discover logo on to it... it now just seems irritating to be that low... especially when you have been with the bank for over 10 years.

Really if you want to have a REAL Capital One card to go along with your other grown up cards you will have to apply again and take 3 HP and even a possible chance of a denial or another small limit card so I would just move on and apply for another Citi or something and get an instant approval for like $8k... bet you will forget all about cap1 Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 21
KG1978
Valued Member

Im worried if I don't use the card every once in a while it will close and mess up my score. Otherwise I would just let it sit unused forever.

My Wallet: Best Buy Store ($750), Care Credit ($4000) GE Broyll Hill ($6000), Amex Green Card, Citi Dividend MC ($6800), Citi Thank you Preferred ($9800), Amazon Store Card ($2500), Victorias Secret ($1550), Kohls ($600), AF ($1300), Crate and Barrel ($4750) Discover Miles ($5000), Blue Cash Everyday ($3000), Walmart Discover($5800), Target ($500), Blue Cash Preferred(2000) and Chase Freedom($3000), Amex Gold Delta (9200).
Message 9 of 21
KG1978
Valued Member

I tried to close that card last month and they offered to pay the years annual fee so I kept it. Guess I included it on my profile because its my history. Might not be pretty but its true! 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.